Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ares Watch Company

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Sure. For me the whole draw was it was a tough watch, and no hassle. But then it came with a broken second hand. So I just have not ran it hard. Maybe I need to just go with it, but like I said, kind of a let down
    Man i get that for sure. All the forethought spend the dough and then bam. WTF. It had to be a huge letdown. But how many people wont do certain things while wearing their mechanical watches. Like mow the yard run a chainsaw or shoot?
    Maybe it was just a fluke. Ive watched videos of watch repair where they are putting the hands back on. It is a delicate procedure for sure.
    Run that thing and run it hard.😎😁

Then post a review with photos! 😁
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Yes he fixed it. Turn around was less than a week. It wears nice, and I don’t have any issues with it. But it was a huge let down to open the box and see that. I still have not really did anything hard core in it. I haven’t wore to the range, because of it. Kind of don’t want to screw it up. So it sits on my shelf
    If I were you, I’d wear it and not worry about the previous Assembly/QC issue.

It’s not a over engineered tool watch or a rugged “mission timer.” (He should probably apologize to Sinn for that. Lol)

No, its a $15 quartz movement in a case made in China and picked out of a catalog. The reason he can offer a LIFETIME! guarantee (against mechanical defects) is not because Ares figured out a way to make these super durable. It’s because his price per unit cost is a very small fraction of the selling price. He could replace your watch with a new one many times over and still come out ahead.

Wear it in good health.

Who cares where the parts are sourced. I sure don't. I drive a 4Runner and wear a Seiko, both made in Japan.

Made in the USA was a dead concept about 40 years ago. It would be nice if manufacturing would return but it won't because global economy and all.

If someone wants to market as made in the US with sourced parts from Asia then have at it. I might even buy it if it's a good product.

As long as people in other countries can produce a better product and sell it cheaper I'll buy it. Why do I want to pay a premium for a product of inferior quality because it's made in the USA?

Some of the best selling small pickups in the US are made in Mexico.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

[QUOTE=Borderland;961770]

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Who cares where the parts are sourced. I sure don't. I drive a 4Runner and wear a Seiko, both made in Japan.
    Big difference between Japan and China, bro.

It's pretty shocking that you can buy the movement in these watches for $13 online.

Here's a US assembled watch with the same movement for $142.

https://www.vaerwatches.com/products...gaAiLhEALw_wcB

This watch just makes zero sense to me.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 12-02-2019 at 01:18 PM.

[QUOTE=HopetonBrown;961834]

Big difference between Japan and China, bro.

It's pretty shocking that you can buy the movement in these watches for $13 online.

Here's a US assembled watch with the same movement for $142.

https://www.vaerwatches.com/products...gaAiLhEALw_wcB

This watch just makes zero sense to me.
    Well that is a dilemma, isn't it?

Everyone wants cheap but nobody wants it unless they think its 100% made in the US.

Actually, I applaud Matt's business concept. He's just giving people what they want (US made) about the only way he can for that price.

Global economy is a bitch.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you.

But it’s relevant here if only because:

1) he previously called the watches Made in USA when they aren’t. Any watch seller knows that’s a hot button issue. He corrected it when pointed out (now they are “Assembled in the USA” which is accurate.). If it doesn’t matter to you, then it doesn’t matter to you. But to a lot of watch buyers, that’s a big deal. At least he corrected it before the FTC made him.

2)the appeal for many (almost everyone?) that bought the watch is Graham’s background as firearms trainer to the Agency and the idea that they are wearing a uber rugged watch that heroes around the world are trusting their lives to, so you know it’s special. It’s not. It’s no different than watches costing much less.

3) whether you care that the case is Chinese, knowing that can give you an idea of the cost, and just how much the markup is on that watch. Many prospective buyers might be interested to know it’s (imho) overpriced.

(Are you sure you Seiko is Japanese made?)

Actually, I applaud Matt's business concept. He's just giving people what they want (US made) about the only way he can for that price.
    Did you read what I posted before you quoted it?

I linked to a US company assembling watches with the same movement as the Ares for 1/4 the price.

And you know what I like about that other company? They don't use the phrase "American made" like Ares does.

"Our choice of using a Swiss Made movement disqualifies us from a Made in USA or American Made claim. This is regardless of where the remainder of the components are made."

https://journal.vaerwatches.com/amer...american-made/

I applaud their candor. If only Ares was as transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post

1) he previously called the watches Made in USA when they aren’t. Any watch seller knows that’s a hot button issue. He corrected it when pointed out (now they are “Assembled in the USA” which is accurate.). If it doesn’t matter to you, then it doesn’t matter to you. But to a lot of watch buyers, that’s a big deal. At least he corrected it before the FTC made him.
    The Ares site currently says "American made".

If anyone knows a little about watches, the movement should be a significant portion of the cost of the watch.

Swiss manufactures can spend well north of 1 million dollars on the research and development of a new watch movement.

This is why many watch companies just buy movements from somewhere else and stick them in their own watches, and spend the rest of their money on advertising. 15 years ago Panerai were using $80 pocket watch movements. I think they have their own in-house movements now. Even Rolex was using a Zenith chronograph movement in their Daytona up to about 10 years ago.

A $700 watch using a $13 quartz movement with a case made in China, that sounds like ALOT of margin.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I don’t necessarily disagree with you.

But it’s relevant here if only because:

2)the appeal for many (almost everyone?) that bought the watch is Graham’s background as firearms trainer to the Agency and the idea that they are wearing a uber rugged watch that heroes around the world are trusting their lives to, so you know it’s special. It’s not. It’s no different than watches costing much less.

3) whether you care that the case is Chinese, knowing that can give you an idea of the cost, and just how much the markup is on that watch. Many prospective buyers might be interested to know it’s (imho) overpriced.

(Are you sure you Seiko is Japanese made?)
    Full disclosure, I'm not a watch guy and I don't collect them. I only have one and I've worn it for 15 years. I worked in construction so I beat the crap out of it. Seiko Titanium Chronograph. Case has a serial # on it and stamped "MOVEMENT JAPAN 7T62-0BZ0". Other than that I have no idea what's inside. I assume it's 100% Japanese. You can buy one used for about $100. It isn't a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    The Ares site currently says "American made".

Oh. Well, that’s wrong and not cool.

I was going by post #22 in this thread that said he was changing/changed the verbiage. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post809599

User Tag List