Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ares Watch Company

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I don't see any difference here between someone buying a Rolex and an Ares. It isn't a value thing (goods delivered for money spent), or even the functionality of the watch, it's personal preference.

When someone says to me, I can have a better ________ for less money I always say it isn't always about the money. The entire Rolex thing should be a shining example of that. After you spend 7K for one you still just have a watch. My cell phone will keep better time. It's using the atomic clocks on navigational satellites that are good for 1 second of drift about every 30,000 years. It can't do that at 300 meters below the surface but most people who own dive watches don't dive, including me.
    You know what a Rolex has that Ares and a cell phone doesn’t?

Heritage. For some that’s a worthy reason to part with a lot of money. Insofar as function goes I can think of multiple times where my cell phone didn’t work but my Speedmaster did. Like when my flight got delayed and I needed to know if I’d miss my connection. Jumping the hour on my X-33 as I stood in the aisle worked a lot better then my satellite powered smartphone with no signal.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    You know what a Rolex has that Ares and a cell phone doesn’t?

Heritage. For some that’s a worthy reason to part with a lot of money. Insofar as function goes I can think of multiple times where my cell phone didn’t work but my Speedmaster did. Like when my flight got delayed and I needed to know if I’d miss my connection. Jumping the hour on my X-33 as I stood in the aisle worked a lot better then my satellite powered smartphone with no signal.
    I understand that. I use my watch at night in bed to know the time. I hardly ever have my phone on me or even near by. I don't use it as a timepiece or a camera but lots of people do. Lots of people don't even have a watch anymore, just a cell phone. Most airports have WiFi though so getting a signal is pretty much a thing of the past if you know how to use it.

Mechanical watches will still be working in a electromagnetic pulse explosion. I think I still have one in my safe from the 70's.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-03-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Do they ever get sold for more than the original price?

Of course most don't increase by orders of magnitude, but:

If we take the Submariner as an example, in the mid-90s you could pick up a ref. 16610, thought of by some as the last of the greats before the Supercase was introduced, for around $3,350. With inflation, that translates as a little over $5,000 in today’s money. If you had held onto it, you could have sold it on the current pre-owned market for anywhere from $6,000 to as much as $10,000.
    Rolexes aren't my thing, but let's not pretend a Rolex is just a watch.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Mechanical watches will still be working in a electromagnetic pulse explosion. I think I still have one in my safe from the 70's.
    The Ares isn't mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    The Ares isn't mechanical.
    Then it's worthless in an EMP explosion.

Only people with a Rolex will know what time it is.......maybe.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-03-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Like people, Rolex watches are not all the same, and Rolex makes about one million watches per year. For the last several years, many of the stainless Rolex watches from the Professional Line (Submariner, GMT Master II, Explorer II, Sky Dweller, and Daytona) have been in high demand relative to the available supply. The prices on those models have appreciated quite a bit, and many owners have made profits in excess of ten percent annual returns. Other models, especially those in yellow gold and other Professional models (Yacht Master and Milgauss), have languished. For the first time, some stainless models, notably GMT Master II, are selling at higher prices than two-tone (18K/stainless). The imbalance of stainless models supply compared to demand is starting to push the fashion pendulum back to yellow gold and two-tone.

But there are even pockets where collectors want two-tone Professional watches, especially certain GMT Master II five-digit references. I sold my five-digit GMT Master II for significantly more than I paid for it 1998, even accounting for inflation. I used the proceeds to later purchase an 18K Datejust that has always been my "grail" and had several thousand dollars left from the sale. Once again, not all Rolexes are equal. The Datejust, while the most popular by sales volume, is not as in demand as the Professional models.

There are several theories as to the shortages of Rolex stainless Professional models, including more of the supply being consumed in China and Rolex limiting supply as part of an effort to drive the brand further upmarket (say towards Patek Phillipe). My only datum is that Rolex has been reducing the number of authorized dealers worldwide, suggesting a move upmarket.

All I can say is I’m glad I bought my Yellow/Stainless Sub 20+ years ago. It was a lot of money, but I’d just gotten a bonus and and I always wanted one.

I priced a new one a few months ago and about fell over when they told me the price, that is, “If we could get one for you, sir.”

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    All I can say is I’m glad I bought my Yellow/Stainless Sub 20+ years ago. It was a lot of money, but I’d just gotten a bonus and and I always wanted one.

I priced a new one a few months ago and about fell over when they told me the price, that is, “If we could get one for you, sir.”
    Yup, MSRP has exploded while Rolex has gotten more restrictive. In 1989 when I bought my first Rolex, the MSRP on the 18K Day-Date was a bit under $10K, and watches were sold around $8K. The same model (not reference as there have been changes) MSRP is now over $31K, and the 40mm version is now over $39K. Rolex was also more flexible, allowing dealers to fit the President bracelet of the Day-Date on 18K Datejust models. Now the 18K Datejust is no more, and the President bracelet will only fit the Day-Date.

It used to be that watches were frequently purchased at a discount from MSRP, up to about 20% of that number. Now watches sell above MSRP.

My liver doc yesterday was wearing a Rolex Submariner on his wrist. Granted, he was in his late-50s early 60s, but my thought was, "Glad my insurance company is picking up the tab."

___

Maybe sometimes buying things isn't about what they cost or where exactly the components are made, but instead who makes and sells them. For me, I sometimes support companies who make an equivalent product that is more expensive, because I want to support the person who owns the company.

Example: Prometheus Design Werx makes some really nice pants that are $150/pair, I have a couple of pairs. They are not really any better in many respects than $75 Duluth pants, but I own them anyways. Why? Because the guy who designed them and owns PDW is someone whom I respect, like, and even admire for his attitude, design philosophy, dedication, philanthropy, and as a human being. So rather than have four pairs of pants from Duluth, a company I really don't know much about overall, except they never use fucking photos in their catalog, I have two pairs of PDWs and give my money to them. The pants could literally be made in the same factory by the same people from the same materials and I'd still pay more to PDW for them.

That is, in fact, the absolute beauty of our society is the ability to compare, contrast, and support companies and individuals whom we choose to support.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My liver doc yesterday was wearing a Rolex Submariner on his wrist. Granted, he was in his late-50s early 60s, but my thought was, "Glad my insurance company is picking up the tab."

___

Maybe sometimes buying things isn't about what they cost or where exactly the components are made, but instead who makes and sells them. For me, I sometimes support companies who make an equivalent product that is more expensive, because I want to support the person who owns the company.

Example: Prometheus Design Werx makes some really nice pants that are $150/pair, I have a couple of pairs. They are not really any better in many respects than $75 Duluth pants, but I own them anyways. Why? Because the guy who designed them and owns PDW is someone whom I respect, like, and even admire for his attitude, design philosophy, dedication, philanthropy, and as a human being. So rather than have four pairs of pants from Duluth, a company I really don't know much about overall, except they never use fucking photos in their catalog, I have two pairs of PDWs and give my money to them. The pants could literally be made in the same factory by the same people from the same materials and I'd still pay more to PDW for them.

That is, in fact, the absolute beauty of our society is the ability to compare, contrast, and support companies and individuals whom we choose to support.
    I dont believe that was the issue being raised.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List