Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ares Watch Company

Ares Watch Company

I figured I'd start a separate thread for this one. Up front, I think many here know that I'm friends with Matt. I have no connection with the company (other than being pre-order #9, and ribbing him about needing less Spec-Op, and more "arts n culture" in his alpha and beta test team...).

A bit on Matt's background, now that he's moved on from the agency. Matt went from FAMs to agency contract, spending 12 years there, the last 4 as OIC of firearms training for a group tasked with protective operations. It isn't hard to figure out what that group is.

So here's the deal on the watch company in Matt's words. He's told me that he intends to build a family-owned American watch company. It will take some time, but being a bit of a watch guy, I can see that he's got the right idea, based on our conversations. FYI:

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamcombat
    Hey guys, it’s Matt Graham, and I thought I’d put some information out regarding my new watch company, ARES Watch Co., in an effort to answer some of the questions I have been getting.

I started a watch company here in Seattle, WA called ARES Watch Company. The goal of ARES is the design, manufacture, distribution, and service of in-house designed hard-use mission timers. I spent the last 12 years of my professional life at the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and am now building the mission timers I always wished I’d had.

I am building a watch company, not just a watch. This is a very important distinction for me, as I am putting all of the pieces in place to build a company that has both longevity and growth. I am fortunate enough to be in the Pacific Northwest, which is a hotbed for tech and fabrication, and I am taking advantage of that fully. It is my goal to —eventually — produce all of the components of our watches in house. I can facilitate this goal because I have the two things critical for success: watch makers and machinists. Early on in the development of ARES as a company I was able to partner with North Seattle College’s Watch Technology Institute. WTI was originally created by Rolex USA as a two year technical certification school for watch makers. Nick, the owner of Orion, is a recent graduate of the program. The program produces some of the finest skilled watchmakers in the world. I have hired directly from that program and have also committed to a portion of our proceeds of each ARES sale to a scholarship program to the Institute. In addition I have sourced machinists from both the aerospace and defense industry. These two factors will set a foundation for our future success. With watchmakers and machinists I can build anything.

In order to bring ARES on line I am introducing the DIVER-1. The DIVER-1 represents everything I have wanted in an operational dive watch. The specifications are mine and meet my needs for an operational diver. DIVER-1 was designed by me - drawn and sketched by hand in books and journals - over the years. To meet the manufacturing requirements DIVER-1 will be manufactured in Hong Kong - at the same design and fulfillment house numerous successful micro brands currently use - as well as here in the US and Switzerland. As we grow over time it is my intention and plan to bring more and more components in house for manufacturing fulfillment. The biggest problem is: Americans have lost the art of watch machining and watch making. And those that have the art aren’t too open to sourcing. The biggest reality is: if you want professional watches made to professional standards you’d be hard pressed to find finer craftsmanship and quality than some of the Asian manufacturing houses. I am not ashamed to let the best people do the best job, but I am striving to build that process here at home. All DIVER-1 watches will be hand finished, assembled, quality assured, and serviced here in Seattle. We build them and then we send them out the door.

The ARES DIVER-1 specifications are as follows:

- 41.0mm case/42.0mm bezel
    - case size 49.5mm 2-piece construction
    - 12.5mm thickness
    - 22mm drilled lugs w/ 1.8mm shoulderless springbar
    - 316L stainless case, crown & bezel
    - Ronda 715Li, Gold 5-jewel, movement
    - 10 year lithium-ion battery with EOL indicator
    - flat sapphire crystal, inner AR coating
    - solid caseback, screw down, with Viton seal
    - 7.1mm Fat Head crown, screw down, double Viton seal
    - C3 Super-LumiNova
    - 22mm LASH nylon 3-buckle strap
    - individually serialized
    - bead blasted finish

I am going to open up ARES, in the next few days and begin accepting pre-orders for the DIVER-1. The DIVER-1 is a Limited Edition watch for ARES. The price is $695 and includes free FEDEX delivery (CONUS) and a Lifetime Warranty. I have established ARES policy as such:

“I guarantee everything we make. Ares watches are covered to the original owner against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. The Lifetime Warranty does not include misuse or normal wear and tear.

If you are not satisfied with the purchase of your watch at the time you receive it, return it to Ares in new, unworn and unused condition in original packaging, within 7 days of purchase, for a full refund. Watches returned worn, used, or returned with damage, wear, or any sign of use will be subject to a 25% restocking fee.”

I will be officially launching ARES Watch Company this weekend in NYC at Worn & Wounds Wind Up Watch Fair [ed. Nov 2-4]. I have been talking with Ariel Adams at A Blog To Watch over the past few months and we will have some more company and product information coming out through ABTW over the next few weeks. I will be launching our site, areswatches.com, in the next few days and I have already been promoting through our IG @areswatchco.

I am building ARES as a watch making company. We will produce multiple hard-use mission timer styles, in both Li-on quartz and mechanical movements. I am excited to announce, in addition to DIVER-1, we will be launching two new watches in 2019: the DIVER-1C and the FIELD-1 GMT. The DIVER-1C has been selected as an Official Prize of the 2019 US Army Best Ranger Competition, and will be announced and profiled in spring of next year. In addition FIELD-1, a dated GMT, has been selected with ARES as the Official Timer & Watch of the NFL Alumni Association’s 2019 Super Bowl of Golf. The FIELD-1 will be announced and profiled in fall of 2019. Because we are a watch making company all models of ARES diver and field watches will be available with either Li-on or mechanical movements, starting winter of ‘19.

We’re open for business.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Wow, that is a challenge to build an American watch company, especially with the stated goal of that amount of vertical integration. I believe the most integrated watchmaker today is Rolex SA, which runs its own metal foundry and makes all of the components with the exception of the watch hands. Rolex is also famous for making their own machines. But it has taken about one hundred years to get there, including buying the bracelet manufacturer Gay Freres and designing movements.

As for the first watch, dive watches are popular, but it is a very competitive market. I see some things I like in the DIVER-1, but others rule it out for me. The lithium-ion battery is a nonstarter for me. That is just me as I prefer a battery I can find anywhere.

Still I want to see the company succeed and I look forward to other designs.
    Last edited by farscott; 11-03-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The lithium-ion battery is a nonstarter for me. That is just me as I prefer a battery I can find anywhere.
    The 715-Li uses CR2016s, which aren't very exotic at all; you may not be able to find them at Wal-mart, but I'd be confident of finding it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

The watch itself seems like an okay value, around the same price point as the Marathon TSAR, at least with this pre-order pricing. I wonder what automatic movements will be used, and what price point those will land at.

I am interested in ordering one. Do they have a storefront? I work in Seattle and I want to take a look at one of them.

Site Supporter
    They have "American Made" and "Made in America" on the website. That's no different than the Swiss Made claims thrown around by boutique companies using Asian manufacturing.

I don't have a problem buying watches manufactured in Asia with Asian or Swiss movements, but throwing some foreign made parts together and calling the finished product American made is bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    They have "American Made" and "Made in America" on the website. That's no different than the Swiss Made claims thrown around by boutique companies using Asian manufacturing.

I don't have a problem buying watches manufactured in Asia with Asian or Swiss movements, but throwing some foreign made parts together and calling the finished product American made is bullshit.
    Shinola got in a bit of trouble for that.

https://qz.com/564838/shinolas-built...us-government/
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Point taken. How would you bill a product manufactured (assembled) in America?

The Swiss designation is interesting in that watches can be labeled as "Swiss Made" if the design is Swiss, the movement Swiss (and to be Swiss, a movement must be assembled and inspected in Switzerland, and consist of 50 percent Swiss parts by cost, excepting assembly costs), the final inspection (of the watch) is done in Switzerland, and at least 60 percent of the manufacturing costs are of Swiss origin. Go figure.

Made in America, in the sense that *everything* is American is largely not possible. Even Harleys use Japanese shocks. The V-rod was billed as an American musclebike, and it had a German engine. I'm following a new motorcycle company, Janus, and it's ALL American components... except for the engine, which is Indian continent Honda production. But the whole thing is designed, built, and mostly manufactured in America, So are Janus and Harley American made?

This argument has been debated online since forever--occasionally even by people smarter than you or I--and even the FTC has had to evaluate on a case-by-case basis. Shinola got in trouble by using "American Made," and not disclosing the source of critical components, including movements, at all--hence the deceptive practice. Matt is very up front about his sourcing the movement, and exactly why, so I don't personally see that as deceptive, since his press releases and the specs both state what the movement is. I note also that "Made in America" appears nowhere on the watch, while the caseback has the additional engraving "swiss movement;" the exact remedy that the FTC forced at least one watch company to make on their cases. At any rate, I am not a lawyer. I know Matt has one. I suppose time will tell.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Thanks for the education on the Shinola situation. Personally I like the watch. I thinks it's really good looking and I prefer a metal bezel with lume. I definitely like anything that brings more work into this country. I hope he does well with this initial offering and the continued success of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Point taken. How would you bill a product manufactured (assembled) in America?

The Swiss designation is interesting in that watches can be labeled as "Swiss Made" if the design is Swiss, the movement Swiss (and to be Swiss, a movement must be assembled and inspected in Switzerland, and consist of 50 percent Swiss parts by cost, excepting assembly costs), the final inspection (of the watch) is done in Switzerland, and at least 60 percent of the manufacturing costs are of Swiss origin. Go figure.

Made in America, in the sense that *everything* is American is largely not possible. Even Harleys use Japanese shocks. The V-rod was billed as an American musclebike, and it had a German engine. I'm following a new motorcycle company, Janus, and it's ALL American components... except for the engine, which is Indian continent Honda production. But the whole thing is designed, built, and mostly manufactured in America, So are Janus and Harley American made?

This argument has been debated online since forever--occasionally even by people smarter than you or I--and even the FTC has had to evaluate on a case-by-case basis. Shinola got in trouble by using "American Made," and not disclosing the source of critical components, including movements, at all--hence the deceptive practice. Matt is very up front about his sourcing the movement, and exactly why, so I don't personally see that as deceptive, since his press releases and the specs both state what the movement is. I note also that "Made in America" appears nowhere on the watch, while the caseback has the additional engraving "swiss movement;" the exact remedy that the FTC forced at least one watch company to make on their cases. At any rate, I am not a lawyer. I know Matt has one. I suppose time will tell.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    In this one screen grab the US made aspect is mentioned three times, along with one line about domestic and internationally sourced components. It specifically says manufactured in the US while the press release says it is manufactured in Hong Kong.

I get the dilemma of marketing a product with international parts and points of assembly but I think Graham is really pushing the boundaries of honest marketing in this case. Or more frankly, I think it's been crossed. It's clearly being marketed as a watch that is "American made" with some foreign components, which a lot of people could easily assume is referring to the movement, when the truth seems to be that it's almost entirely foreign components with a little of bit of assembly in the US.

I think the honest approach would be to remove all of the made in the USA nonsense and simply stick with assembled in the USA from domestic and foreign components.

For full disclosure since I'm sure it has an influence on my opinion, I've spent the last decade working in marketing fraud prevention.

Edited: I think Lum-Tec is an example of a watch company doing this right. Their site says assembled in Ohio, which is 100% accurate and not misleading in any way.

I like Graham's watch and I hope he does well, and I hope he can bring more production back here. I just have an issue with companies playing fast and loose with the made in USA label. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's not deceiving.

Name:  Screenshot_2018-11-03-22-12-23.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  30.3 KB
    Last edited by scjbash; 11-03-2018 at 09:44 PM.

For full disclosure since I'm sure it has an influence on my opinion, I've spent the last decade working in marketing fraud prevention.

Edited: I think Lum-Tec is an example of a watch company doing this right. Their site says assembled in Ohio, which is 100% accurate and not misleading in any way.

I like Graham's watch and I hope he does well, and I hope he can bring more production back here. I just have an issue with companies playing fast and loose with the made in USA label. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's not deceiving.
    Again, point taken. I’m certain that you know more about this stuff than I do, since I’m a musician first; a WIS a distant second; and a fraud prevention guy not at all (beyond protecting my own accounts). Shoot him an email and ask him what’s up. I’d be interested in what sort of response you’d get.

And, Lum-Tec is cool, agreed.

User Tag List