Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips from Michael Voigt

First of all, FUCK cancer. And RIP Mr. Voigt.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I find this a little easier to do if I extend at the MCP joint. This is really easy to practice, even without a gun in hand.
    This is something Avery has touted for a long time, in not so many words. The gist being that adding a bit tension from extension of the MCP joint helps stabilize the upper finger so it's easier to isolate the PIP joint.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Way cool, thank you.

I am afraid I still haven't grasped what it means to "extend" at the MCP joint.

MCP joint in partial flexion:

And in extension:

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post

This is something Avery has touted for a long time, in not so many words. The gist being that adding a bit tension from extension of the MCP joint helps stabilize the upper finger so it's easier to isolate the PIP joint.

MCP joint in partial flexion:

And in extension:

Thanks for the clarification. Glad to hear Avery also recommends this. And shit, Voight is dead! I was unfamiliar with him til now and am sad to hear of this loss. He was a gifted communicator.

First part of the video is extended at MCP, flexing at the PIP. Notice that the loading pin moves in a straight straight line or one plane motion. The second part is flexing at the MCP, really just flailing, and the pin now moves in two planes of motion. The advantage should be pretty obvious, especially with one hand shooting, and not having the support hand to counteract "torque steering".

I don't know why anyone would copy me, but in rock climbing the first grip would be a closed crimp and the second an open crimp. Both types, especially the former are fraught with danger. The first time I did this was with about 8 pounds, just 8 pounds of chain, pulled a tendon in my hand and was sidelined for 8 months. If you want to try those exercise, keep it light and low rep for the first year.
    Last edited by txdpd; 11-04-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Haven't watched the video yet, but all this discussion of the finger joint has me wondering, dang, hope this doesn't end up getting in my head too much! I *think* I already move my finger as recommended, but am kinda second guessing now until I can get out to the range.

Thanks @taadski and @txdpd. That is visually very helpful
    Taking a break from social media.

Excellent video as well as the visuals from other members.

Really focusing on my own finger movement I can see I have pretty good isolation past the MCP joint. I am noticing I have a tendency to flex the base of my finger outward slightly during my trigger press. So by extending my finger below the MCP outward I get a far more consistently straight press.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I think this video does a less terrible job at showing trigger pulls.

1st few reps are extended MCP, flexing PIP, moving the DIP (last joint) from flexion to hyper extension, with pressure centered on the pad of the finger. That's a fairly straight trigger press.
    2nd set of reps are everything in flexion and flexing the MCP, that steers the gun to the left.
    3rd set of reps are everything in flexion and extending the MCP, that steers the gun to the right.
    4th set is pressure centered on the DIP joint, everything in flexion and flexing all joints, it's a fairly straight pull due to counteracting pressures. It "works" even though it's "wrong".
    5th set is tip of the finger on the trigger, pretty obvious that no matter how this is done it's steering the gun left.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post

No shit, one of the very best people you'd ever meet.

When one ROs major matches one learns a lot about shooters. I learned Mike was a first class guy. Always the first to reset or help his competitors, and always the first to genuinely thank the RO and Score Keeper after the last target was taped.

He never seemed to take himself too seriously. Mike was a real pleasure to be around.

Cancer sucks.

I came to the same conclusion as Mr Voight. If I’d have seen that video, I’d have saved 100,000 rds of practice ammo.

If you can tolerate my writing, I did a blog post on this.

http://patriotfirearmstraining.azure.../trigger-pull/

Quote Originally Posted by Dwylie View Post
    I came to the same conclusion as Mr Voight. If I’d have seen that video, I’d have saved 100,000 rds of practice ammo.

If you can tolerate my writing, I did a blog post on this.

http://patriotfirearmstraining.azure.../trigger-pull/
    Excellent Article!

Thinking of it simply as the first knuckle traveling in the correct direction relative to the palm is a nice concise way of understanding what it means to "pull the trigger straight back"
    Last edited by TicTacticalTimmy; 11-10-2018 at 01:39 PM.

User Tag List