Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: AMG Lab Shot Timer

Support for standalone or practice use is in the works. PractiScore integration was done specifically to support this timer for the match conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ok...I seem to have the timer connected to my iPhone.

I guess what I was missing was the concept of operations for the BT is not only only through the Practiscore App, but you basically seem to have to set up a fake match, with a fake shooter, and a fake stage, and generate a fake set of results, at which point you can connect to the timer to manipulate it?

I guess I wasn’t thinking that was how ‘BT’ was going to work but ok.

My expectation was more of a stand alone level of integration or the ability to manipulate the timer outside the context of a match. I’m sure the Use Case of using the timer ‘in a match’ makes sense. But for the average casual user, who is not intimately familiar with the workings of Practiscore, I’m not sure how useful the BT capability will be.

I’ll keep playing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm thinking outside of a match, BT will be of limited use. Perhaps someone will develop a standalone app to configure the AMG through a tablet? It would be nice to have an app to record/archive strings from a session on the range.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I'm thinking outside of a match, BT will be of limited use. Perhaps someone will develop a standalone app to configure the AMG through a tablet? It would be nice to have an app to record/archive strings from a session on the range.
    Agree. And the good news is that it looks like the basic functionality is built-in to the timer.

I didn’t buy this for the BT (but it is cool) so much for the size, AAA batteries and ability to detect dry-practice. At this it excels.

I can really see this being a winner; I’m not aware of any competitors in the market place that offer what the AMG Labs timer does.

Overall I’m still extremely happy with this purchase.

AMG Lab Shot Timer

@alexmg

I've had a chance to use the AMG Lab Commander during several sessions of live and dryfire. Here is my initial evaluation. I've made some suggestions for the next firmware update.

1. The Commander functioned perfectly in live fire, with no dropped shots.
    2. The overall design is excellent. The buttons are solid, and the display is very readable.
    3. The clip and holder are ok, but not great. With the Tek-loc, the unit sticks out too much from the belt. Without a swivel, I don't see the point to the Tek-loc. I am hoping that the swiveling metal clip shown in this video will be available. See pic below.
    4. Review of shots and splits is good, and it is nice that the last 3 strings are available. However, it would be very useful to be able to review splits instead of times for the past 3 strings.
    5. Accidentally pressing start (without a shot fired) erases the current string, and that should be changed.
    6. The On button could be used for additional controls once the unit is powered up.
    7. Choosing random or fixed delay is not intuitive.
    8. It would be nice to have a user manual.

Summary: this is by far the best shot timer on the market, and it will only get better as features are implemented.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-07-2018 at 07:18 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I rotated my AMG 90* and mounted it on the outermost set of holes on the Tek-lock belt mount with the display towards the belt buckle.
    Last edited by NETim; 12-07-2018 at 08:31 PM.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Hammertime
    I used mine on the lowest sensitivity today and missed some shot strings.

I went to 3 and it picked me up but not a shooter two lanes over. Nice!

I am enjoying it.

Hello everybody, I wanted to say thank you everyone for posting great feedbacks and figuring it out without manual while I am working on compiling it and I also wanted to address few comments:
    This holder that came with timer is also hole pattern compatible with safariland modular clip system, here are few pictures my friend Lee provided, so if you have that kind of clip on your belt you can utilize one to clip timer to it.
    Name:  safariland01.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  85.7 KBName:  safariland02.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  30.8 KB

As for rotating clip from earlier video, that was one of the prototypes I built and tested that allows just that, be able to swing timer's face up to see the display better while it is mounted on the belt, later on it will become available.

Also, I am working on a design of the silicone skin for it, which will provide additional mounting/carrying/protecting options, once I have working prototype I will be happy to share it and get it into production asap.

Also, I have already designed and currently testing first prototype of adapter bracket that can be mounted between any of tactical belt clips and timer's holder and provide ability to rotate timer, here is a quick demo:
    Name:  adapter plates.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  25.0 KB
    Name:  adapter plates2.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  21.8 KB

Again, the documentation is on the way, just couple days, thank you for your patience, I will post more soon when things cool down a bit, have beee spending 24/7 in the lab working on this project lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @alexmg
    4. Review of shots and splits is good, and it is nice that the last 3 strings are available. However, it would be very useful to be able to review splits instead of times for the past 3 strings.
    5. Accidentally pressing start (without a shot fired) erases the current string, and that should be changed.
    6. The On button could be used for additional controls once the unit is powered up.
    I agree on all of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I used mine on the lowest sensitivity today and missed some shot strings.

I went to 3 and it picked me up but not a shooter two lanes over. Nice!

I am enjoying it.
    I practiced unloaded table starts on an open, outdoor public range this afternoon.

I started with sensitivity level 5 and it picked up everything nearby.

I put the timer on the table and on the lowest sensitivity level and it worked great. Only time it recorded extra shots was the guy immediately next to me.

Excellent!

RO’d the uspsa practice stage today.

The first thing others asked was how well it does in the rain. So you can see how people’s experience with other timers has marred them. :-)

People also interested in the Bluetooth connectivity with PractiScore but mostly as a curiosity.

The loudest beep level should be louder. Think old deaf shooters.

Mid level sensitivity was great for everything but pcc. Basically, it performed equivalently to the PocketPro II’s where you have to be closer to the shooter—especially the pcc’s that are heavily tuned and really quiet. Of course, upping the sensitivity level took care of that problem. My only concern is upping it too much and having it pick up eg the loud open guns on the next bay over.

Next time, I’ll use the presets so there’s one for normal and one for pcc rather than fiddling with the sensitivity setting.
    But that reminds me that it would be great if we could enter labels for the presets so we don’t have to remember which is for which use.

The compact size is great.

I’d like to have a stealth mode. Ie similar to the Shotmaxx. Don’t need the accelerometer.

Since it has Bluetooth, I’d love to have an app that’s focused on practice. Ie being able to do multiple runs of drills and then look at the data at the time but also chart the improvements over time.

So, already better than the competition and so much additional that can be done!

User Tag List