Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Target focus shooting

Ben Stoeger recently did a podcast on this: https://www.benstoeger.com/practical...ter-dark-ep-16

6:45 starts talking about lenses
    9:30 starts talking about shooting target focus all of the time

I'll be spending a LOT of time with Ben from perhaps today through Tuesday, so if you have any specific questions you would like me to ask, now is the time.

FYI, I'm testing a new change. I am normally near-sighted and can see my front sight well, but the target and rear sights are fuzzy (even if I use target focus),

The change is to use a single contact lens to correct my non-dominant eye for distance, leaving my dominant eye uncorrected with a front sight focus. When looking at a target I see the front sight clearly with my dominant eye, and the target (more) clearly with my non-dominant eye, oddly without changing focal depth.

I hope to try this out for real Sat-Tues, we will see if my brain can adapt and I can stick with it.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I do target focus on speed shooting at steel and Q targets on a regular basis.

For informal 25 bullseye, I get better results with a front sight focus on a serrated, plain black front.

All of my carry guns have obnoxious orange front sights with tritium centers because it works for me well in speed shooting. I figure if I am in the crap, I'll be focused on the threat and what said threat is holding. I can keep focus on targets in training and trigger off rounds when I see that fuzzy orange show up in the sight picture.

Works well for me.

Target focus shooting

This is how my eyes are naturally: front sight crisp with my dominant eye and target in focus with my other eye.

Target focus for me is mostly a mental switch. Sometimes it’s more both front sight and target at the same time.

Ben’s class is awesome. Have fun dude. You’re going to learn a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Ben Stoeger recently did a podcast on this: https://www.benstoeger.com/practical...ter-dark-ep-16

I'll be spending a LOT of time with Ben from perhaps today through Tuesday, so if you have any specific questions you would like me to ask, now is the time.

FYI, I'm testing a new change. I am normally near-sighted and can see my front sight well, but the target and rear sights are fuzzy (even if I use target focus),

The change is to use a single contact lens to correct my non-dominant eye for distance, leaving my dominant eye uncorrected with a front sight focus. When looking at a target I see the front sight clearly with my dominant eye, and the target (more) clearly with my non-dominant eye, oddly without changing focal depth.

I hope to try this out for real Sat-Tues, we will see if my brain can adapt and I can stick with it.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-02-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Not for nothing...but we rarely miss a target because our sights are >visually< misaligned.
    We misalign our sights during the trigger press.

I have several matches under my belt with podium finishes using guns without sights.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    Not for nothing...but we rarely miss a target because our sights are >visually< misaligned.

I have several matches under my belt with podium finishes using guns without sights.
    Indeed!

I have several drills that I do with students that CLEARLY demonstrates to them that their muzzle orientation is more than adequate and that trigger pull is where the magic takes place.

So simple - but not so easy.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post

I've noticed TGO says a similar thing, noting that it boils down to 70% grip and trigger press and 30% aiming.

But then again, considering the folks posting in this thread it may just be that the grip/trigger press are already squared away and the subject is honing that last 30%.

There are at least five reasons you miss:

1. Trigger mechanics: trigger pull moves sights off target
    2. Recoil control: arms move sights off target in an attempt to control recoil
    3. Timing: you attempt to time the recoil cycle of the gun, but press the trigger at the wrong time.
    4. Transitions: you pull off the target before the gun is finished shooting it, or shoot before the gun has arrived on target.
    5. Sights: your aim was off
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    There are at least five reasons you miss:

1. Trigger mechanics: trigger pull moves sights off target
    2. Recoil control: arms move sights off target in an attempt to control recoil
    3. Timing: you attempt to time the recoil cycle of the gun, but press the trigger at the wrong time.
    4. Transitions: you pull off the target before the gun is finished shooting it, or shoot before the gun has arrived on target.
    5. Sights: your aim was off

#4 A lot!
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Yep, here is a thread I started some time ago.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....paradigm-shift

I wish my brain could adapt to the front sight dominant eye, Target in non-nom, but that hasn’t worked well on at least 2 occasions when I set up RX glasses that way. On advise from Bruce Gray, I set up a pair that is basically low power reader strength. It’s just brought to sharpen the front a bit and not overly blur the distant targets.

However, the majority of my range work now is pretty much target focus with blurry sights. Inside 25 yards, it doesn’t hurt me much for food court stuff.

I will be 63 this month. I will never have the vision I once had, but I’m hoping to keep the trigger control. Unless you are legally blind, trigger control will always be more important than vision for most targets and needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post

Ask him how his guns are zeroed, the tip of a front sight or the dot. If he is 100% front focused, does it mean that he doesn't zero his guns at a tip of the front sight?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List