Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Target focus shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    There are at least five reasons you miss:

1. Trigger mechanics: trigger pull moves sights off target
    2. Recoil control: arms move sights off target in an attempt to control recoil
    3. Timing: you attempt to time the recoil cycle of the gun, but press the trigger at the wrong time.
    4. Transitions: you pull off the target before the gun is finished shooting it, or shoot before the gun has arrived on target.
    5. Sights: your aim was off
    TPC addresses this with two steps of their reactive shooting cycle — isolate the trigger, and let recoil happen.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    #4 A lot!
    Yep. That’s by far my main reason for losing points or missing steel. I watched Ben’s video from Nats and he missed a popper that way. Follow through is hard when you’re pushing.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Would you start new shooters this way?

Maybe the sights are the way to develop an index that supports this?

Then at some point switch up?

"Overaiming"definitely contributes to trigger snatch.

I just got an RMR and holy cow my trigger pull is shameful!

The dot will sho'nuff hurt your feelings, even focused on the target.

A couple things to consider.

1. Pushing the speed can cause a miss.
    2. Doing it too far from the target(pushing your distance) can cause you to miss.
    3. In a life or death encounter, most people tend to A. Shoot faster than they think they are. B. Think they are closer than they really are.

So for many a life and death lethal force encounter can lead to 1 and 2 both happening. One thing that most people who practice at multiple distances with humanoid type targets (at least some of the time) unconsciously do is calibrate their minds to shoot a certain speed depending on the relationship between the front sight width to the average human body. Long winded way of saying, the front sight gives a tremendous amount of feedback when seeing that flash front sight.

YMMV.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

At the end of my dot practice, I pulled the G45 with iron sights out again. First, I shot three shots at ten yards at a one inch square, using target focus, and all hit the square. Then I shot a group at 20 yards using target focus, followed by a second group where I worked more on trigger. Pictures below — shows promise. As my buddy Talionis told me tonight, target focus gets him in the mood for a better trigger press.

Name:  65F09399-FCC6-4131-A7E4-4132CFDD66F1.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  3F7B3C3D-B3B4-41C2-8786-596FC20353D5.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  43.8 KB

Target focus inttrigues me because on occasion I feel like I have used i to tap into my subconscious in interesting ways. I may have mentioned this before, but more than once, at the end of a training session where the light was failing, I’ve run a set of head tarets, mybe 10-12 yards away, all wide transitions, 2 shots each at speed.

Checking the results I’d have stupid close pairs on the majority of the targets. It’s not unusual to see a close pair on occasion, but 3 close pairs in a 4 pair sequence? On more than one occasion?

I think there is something to this, I’m just not sure how to tap into it on demand.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Target focus inttrigues me because on occasion I feel like I have used i to tap into my subconscious in interesting ways. I may have mentioned this before, but more than once, at the end of a training session where the light was failing, I’ve run a set of head tarets, mybe 10-12 yards away, all wide transitions, 2 shots each at speed.

Checking the results I’d have stupid close pairs on the majority of the targets. It’s not unusual to see a close pair on occasion, but 3 close pairs in a 4 pair sequence? On more than one occasion?

I think there is something to this, I’m just not sure how to tap into it on demand.
    I don’t know, but I think it is definitely worth exploring.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post

On the Garcia Dots, I have had some stupid tight groups when I was actually watching for impacts, which I generally consider a no no. I am going to experiment with this.

I gave up on pure target focus when I really started to really focus on speed. I found out quickly that to get acceptable hits I did not have to see a crisp front sight as much as I had to make sure my sights were aligned and that I pressed the trigger correctly.

I still focus hard on the front sight with tight shots, but I think that is mostly due to shooting 25 B8’s at every range session.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 11-02-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

This topic goes back to the discussion of "see what you need to see, to get the hits that you need to get." I will admit that I am having a harder time getting a good front sight focus as my vision changes as I get older.

When I am up close and doing say a dot torture, I must have consistent sight focus especially if I do it for speed. I cannot perform that drill nearly as well with target focus.

Now if I have a larger target with less need for precision then I can get away with target focus and use it often. In this example I use target focus to 25 yards and switch to front sight focus from 35 to 50 yards. I kind of just do this automatically.

I would NOT teach a new shooter to do this. Strict front sight focus unless if they have eye issues that prevent it.

User Tag List