Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Geissele URGI setup thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The barrels are definitely good - I was very pleased with my groups last weekend. I just hate government profile and wish there was an alternative. And some point I’m going to swap it out for a BCM ELW or maybe a BRT Optimum barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only thing I wasn't happy about with it other than the "Golden Ticket" thing in the post above. Was the amount of cosmoline all over it. Took me forever to get all that damn earwax off of it. They could have used something else and been better for it.

So I got my sling from blue force gear and I couldn't be happier. I've decided to keep the setup as is. The balance is exactly what I was going for and the upper/lower fit is perfect. Zero wiggle so I'm not going to mess with it.

Name:  URGI 6 the belligerence.jpg
Views: 4251
Size:  40.7 KBName:  URGI 7 the belligerence.jpg
Views: 3866
Size:  78.5 KB

It would have been so much cheaper had I waited for the rail to go on sale by itself, but I just bought a stripped BCM upper, gas block and tube, and BFH ELW barrel for my URGI. So pretty much I'll be building a whole new upper and keeping just the handguard and ACH. I'd really gotten accustomed to how LW barrels handle and since the BCM upper is supposed to be slightly undersized for tighter fit and better accuracy, I figured it'd help make up the difference because DD barrels seem to be slightly more accurate than BCM. Plus I'm anal about having as many parts from the same manufacturer as possible. The closed tine Warcomp will go on and I will probably be entirely in love with this thing.
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-15-2018 at 11:05 AM.

It would have been so much cheaper had I waited for the rail to go on sale by itself, but I just bought a stripped BCM upper, gas block and tube, and BFH ELW barrel for my URGI. So pretty much I'll be building a whole new upper and keeping just the handguard and ACH. I'd really gotten accustomed to how LW barrels handle and since the BCM upper is supposed to be slightly undersized for tighter fit and better accuracy, I figured it'd help make up the difference because DD barrels seem to be slightly more accurate than BCM. Plus I'm anal about having as many parts from the same manufacturer as possible. The closed tine Warcomp will go on and I will probably be entirely in love with this thing.
    I put 90 rounds through it today with the irons and it's on at 50/200. I will say I was very impressed with the accuracy of the barrel and how smoothly it shot. 90 rounds isn't a measure of capability by any means but it was a good first run. I am very happy with it so far. I do plan on some BCM's in the future, but I never got on the ELW train. IT's not a bad train to be on for sure, I just tend to run my guns pretty hard when I run them hard if that makes sense. And I'm not 100% sure it's going to be what I need. Great to have a light handy rifle for sure, and it brings some capability to the table. I'm also not just doing mag dump after mag dump just to do it. But I do strings back to back and run drills till I get them down where I like them. I've shot guns hot enough to need to wear my gloves. So I haven't jumped on the ELW train as of yet......we'll see. But I get what you're driving at. I imagine it's hard to jump between them after you get set on one thing. I have a feeling if I shoot my URGI more than my MR556 I'll hate the weight when I switch.

I think the URGI is light enough to be good for a do it all rifle, I don't like the damn muzzle device ring every time I close the bolt or clear the gun. You don't really notice during live fire. But I plan to run it dedicated suppressed. The Golden ticket is kinda meh, but I might take advantage of it. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    I put 90 rounds through it today with the irons and it's on at 50/200. I will say I was very impressed with the accuracy of the barrel and how smoothly it shot. 90 rounds isn't a measure of capability by any means but it was a good first run. I am very happy with it so far. I do plan on some BCM's in the future, but I never got on the ELW train. IT's not a bad train to be on for sure, I just tend to run my guns pretty hard when I run them hard if that makes sense. And I'm not 100% sure it's going to be what I need. Great to have a light handy rifle for sure, and it brings some capability to the table. I'm also not just doing mag dump after mag dump just to do it. But I do strings back to back and run drills till I get them down where I like them. I've shot guns hot enough to need to wear my gloves. So I haven't jumped on the ELW train as of yet......we'll see. But I get what you're driving at. I imagine it's hard to jump between them after you get set on one thing. I have a feeling if I shoot my URGI more than my MR556 I'll hate the weight when I switch.

I think the URGI is light enough to be good for a do it all rifle, I don't like the damn muzzle device ring every time I close the bolt or clear the gun. You don't really notice during live fire. But I plan to run it dedicated suppressed. The Golden ticket is kinda meh, but I might take advantage of it. We'll see.
    The weight itself doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the reason for it. If it were a medium continuous taper, I’d be up for it. But I just think the government profile is a damn waste of weight. The ELWs perform well though, I’ve noticed the lack of weight out front well before I’ve noticed groups opening up due to rapid fire.

Excuse the terrible photography. I love this upper now though.

I’m updating my gun records and it’s a nice day today so I got some photos with better lighting.

It’s at 840 rounds right now, almost all of which was spread out between two days, with about two hours each of live fire. It did fantastic and wasn’t as heavy as I expected after some solid range time.

Mine is on the way. Plan on pairing it with a bcm lower. Not sure what I am going to do for furniture yet, but I am going to put a Razor on it and a surefire scout light.

SOPMOD Stock

I’m updating my gun records and it’s a nice day today so I got some photos with better lighting.

It’s at 840 rounds right now, almost all of which was spread out between two days, with about two hours each of live fire. It did fantastic and wasn’t as heavy as I expected after some solid range time.

Hi,

What brand/color SOPMOD stock do you have on your build? It is one of the few build pics I've seen where the color of the stock is practically a perfect match to Geissele's DDC on the URGI. Thanks

Hi,

What brand/color SOPMOD stock do you have on your build? It's one of the few pics I've seen where the color of the stock matches the URGI's DDC color scheme almost seamlessly. Let me know, thanks.

User Tag List