Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geissele URGI setup thread

Geissele URGI setup thread

I picked one of these things up, I can't do anything with it at the moment because another good ole haze gray underway for a while. But when I get back I'm going to have to struggle what to do with it.

I have decided it will be a perfect MK318 MOD 0 launcher candidate. I have some stock piled and since it was built around the M855A1, I figured why not run a better round. A Navy guy, buying an Army upper to run Marine ammo through it.....and since the only upper I have built to take it has an OD Green Magpul UBR on it....I guess it's going to be a partial Air Force vet's clone.........

I'm struggling what optic to put on it though. I'm still not 100% on if I put a dot, P4Xi, look for a 1-6 I like, or just get another Trij accupower 1-8 on it. OR! maybe give an NX8 a go, despite being iffy. But I've already got my MR556 set up as a REECE/MK12 replacement. My MR762 as the DMR, so I'd like to push this into a "war gun" type rifle. So maybe the dot with a flip over magnifier is more appropriate, or the Steiner P4Xi. I'm also planning on running the Surefire RC2 I'm waiting on and M600DF. No DBAL on this one I think. We'll see. Also took advantage of the Geissele Halloween sale and picked up a few things, but namely a SSA to put in too.

But I'm sure the more of us who get them, will have questions and want to see other setups. So I'm starting a thread. I know I don't have pictures yet because of circumstances, but I'll have some up right after I get home. So while I'm overseas drinking Iceland out of beer............if you got em, post em. If you've got suggestions.....I'll take those too.

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    ...I have decided it will be a perfect MK318 MOD 0 launcher candidate. I have some stock piled and since it was built around the M855A1, I figured why not run a better round. A Navy guy, buying an Army upper to run Marine ammo through it.....and since the only upper I have built to take it has an OD Green Magpul UBR on it....I guess it's going to be a partial Air Force vet's clone...
    So... purple ceracoat?

(I assume that slang term is still in use...)
    Last edited by Drang; 11-02-2018 at 03:27 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    So... purple ceracoat?

(I assume that slang term is still in use...)
    Yessir.....It's an older code but it checks out.

I present to you.......... Doctor Quinn medicine woman..........some of you will get it. I also ordered a custom Vickers sling to match the hideousness......... I can't wait.

Name:  URGI 1.jpg
Views: 7354
Size:  62.9 KB
    Name:  URGI 2.jpg
Views: 6314
Size:  48.8 KB
    Name:  URGI 3.jpg
Views: 4300
Size:  38.2 KB

Now I just need a can, light, switch, optic and another super precision mount.
    Last edited by navyman8903; 12-05-2018 at 01:49 PM.

I'd do LPVO all day, every day on that rifle.

Geissele URGI setup thread

I really need some better pictures of it, but here's mine so far. I actually haven't shot it too much though, because I'm having a WarComp pinned in place of the 4P and am trying to keep the round count low until that's done. I love the MK16 though and the DDC mount and Razor all look like they were made to go together. I'll also be swapping out the BCM stock for a SOPMOD in a few weeks, just to help the balance.

Last edited by Wake27; 12-05-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Name:  IMG_5579.jpg
Views: 12186
Size:  101.4 KB

Here's my new 10.3" URG-I. I've paired it with my SBR LMT lower, which already has a Geissele SSA trigger installed. I'm not a hardcore cloner, so I've deviated from the prescribed recipe in a few places. I've swapped the Surefire 4P for an AAC 51T muzzle device...because I have AAC cans. One of the things I like about this configuration compared to the Mk18 with the Daniel Defense RIS II is that it will work with AAC cans. For BUIS I've added the Magpul MBUS Pro, which I've developed a liking for (KAC is great but far too expensive). I've decided on a LMT SOPMOD stock; while my preferences tend to run to lighter weight stocks, with the addition of the can I find the SOPMOD balances better. For an optic I've mounted a recently manufactured EOTech EXPS 3-0 that has been updated to address the zero-shift issues. I haven't decided on a light yet - perhaps I'll use my Surefire "golden ticket" to address that deficiency.

I've fired 360 rounds so far, 150 suppressed, with zero malfunctions. The included buffer and braided spring seem to work well with or without the can. I need to compare the Geissele Airborne Charging Handle with the PRI Gas-buster; the gas can get noticeable in multi-shot strings but hasn't been debilitating. I'm very pleased so far - the upper appears accurate, well built, and reliable.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

The barrels are definitely good - I was very pleased with my groups last weekend. I just hate government profile and wish there was an alternative. And some point I’m going to swap it out for a BCM ELW or maybe a BRT Optimum barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I really need some better pictures of it, but here's mine so far. I actually haven't shot it too much though, because I'm having a WarComp pinned in place of the 4P and am trying to keep the round count low until that's done. I love the MK16 though and the DDC mount and Razor all look like they were made to go together. I'll also be swapping out the BCM stock for a SOPMOD in a few weeks, just to help the balance.

I was actually surprised how much the UBR stock made this setup work. IT just rolls into the pocket so fast and I know once I start hanging shit off of it she'll get much heavier in the nose. So I think despite my reservations, this is going to be an awesome setup. I can't wait to run it hard.

I like your setup too, looks awesome. I do hate the 4 prong, but it's on there for good now so.......Just going to have to shoot it till it gets some carbon buildup.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Name:  IMG_5579.jpg
Views: 12186
Size:  101.4 KB

Here's my new 10.3" URG-I. I've paired it with my SBR LMT lower, which already has a Geissele SSA trigger installed. I'm not a hardcore cloner, so I've deviated from the prescribed recipe in a few places. I've swapped the Surefire 4P for an AAC 51T muzzle device...because I have AAC cans. One of the things I like about this configuration compared to the Mk18 with the Daniel Defense RIS II is that it will work with AAC cans. For BUIS I've added the Magpul MBUS Pro, which I've developed a liking for (KAC is great but far too expensive). I've decided on a LMT SOPMOD stock; while my preferences tend to run to lighter weight stocks, with the addition of the can I find the SOPMOD balances better. For an optic I've mounted a recently manufactured EOTech EXPS 3-0 that has been updated to address the zero-shift issues. I haven't decided on a light yet - perhaps I'll use my Surefire "golden ticket" to address that deficiency.

I've fired 360 rounds so far, 150 suppressed, with zero malfunctions. The included buffer and braided spring seem to work well with or without the can. I need to compare the Geissele Airborne Charging Handle with the PRI Gas-buster; the gas can get noticeable in multi-shot strings but hasn't been debilitating. I'm very pleased so far - the upper appears accurate, well built, and reliable.
    That's a very slick setup. I'm going to be getting some surefire cans so the muzzle device works out, but I'm only just now getting into them so, I didn't have any to work around. I was between putting a new XPS on there with a G33 or going VPO, but I think the VPO is going to be the way to go with this one. I'm also waiting to see how the 14.5 handles that gas once I get a can on there. I know the 10.3" will be a bit more aggressive, but I think it's still going to be noticeable. I might also switch the charging handle for what you're looking at.

I am slightly frustrated with the "Golden Ticket" I didn't look to hard at it before picking it up. I didn't realize it's only good for the 5 vampire lights and only one can. I'm looking at the RC2 and Mini 762 for my HK, but with the ticket I'm restricted to the SOCOM RC 556. Which is still good, but old tech now. Slightly frustrating, but I'll make due. I'll probably get the RC still and one of the Vampire lights.......but I was eyeballing the M300C DF coming out soon for this build. I don't exactly need a Vampire light, I'd just run a DBAL if I was going to do it that way. This upper still rocks though. I'm happy with my purchase.

User Tag List