Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motor Vehicle Theft

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Thanks for the repllies, everyone! Very interesting/enlightening. I can't personally fathom leaving a vehicle running unattended so I have that going for me at least.

This is really interesting to me. Are they boosting new production trucks/SUVs? If so, do you have any idea how? It seems like most modern ignition systems (especially push-start vehicles) would be really challenging to steal without a tow. Most of the vehicles I've heard of being boosted for organized criminals in this manner are older muscle cars/rally cars/pickups.

Also, off-topic, but I am in Phoenix right now for a wedding and I am insanely jealous of your "winter" weather. Probably would not be jealous of summers out here, though...
    Phoenix in the summer is oven hot. I like visiting in the winter, though. Gets me to a lower elevation so I can thaw out. I live at a higher elevation, so the summers are more tolerable, but still low enough and Arizona enough that we rarely get snow.

Summers are tolerable in Phoenix only due to AC.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The future of car theft is digital / hacking. It’s not super common yet as there is more money in thinga like gaspump/ATM skimmers for people with those sorts of skills but it is real.

Boost and relay attacks use the code / signal from you key fob to open / start the car.

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/just-p...can-steal-car/

https://mashable.com/2017/11/28/prot...-relay-attack/

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-...ignition-hack/
    That's really interesting.Definitely makes a lot of sense. Do you think a transponder key-based ignition system would be more protected? Agree that this looks like a lot of effort and knowledge is required to execute but like all offensive/defensive technologies I assume it will eventually proliferate in a simplified form via the black market eventually. Do you know of any cases where vehicles have been stolen in this fashion, either professionally (if you can disclose) or that have been published in the news?

Also - out of respect for the mods (who are, as always, shit), I'll keep this thread back on topic. Phoenix has been nice and hockey is a cool sport but are topics better suited for GD
    Last edited by Nephrology; 11-03-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Do you know of any cases where vehicles have been stolen in this fashion, either professionally (if you can disclose) or that have been published in the news?
    Coming soon...

https://news.sky.com/story/thousands...dgets-10406419

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ly-hacked.html
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    In Seattle the cars of choice are 90s and early 2000s Subarus followed by late 90s Hondas. They are usually recovered within two weeks and have had homeless living in them.
    “Thanks for the f*** shack!” Dirty Mike and the boys.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The future of car theft is digital / hacking. It’s not super common yet as there is more money in thinga like gaspump/ATM skimmers for people with those sorts of skills but it is real.

Boost and relay attacks use the code / signal from you key fob to open / start the car.

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/just-p...can-steal-car/

https://mashable.com/2017/11/28/prot...-relay-attack/

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-...ignition-hack/
    Wasn’t there a thread that discussed an uptick in carjackings relative to the increased difficulty of stealing cars with newer/better anti-theft measures?

I can see the more tech-savvy ways becoming common as the technology becomes cheaper/easier to acquire. But then there’s always the low-tech solutions for high-tech problems.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

The manual transmission is a modern man's anti-theft device.

But in a more serious vein, holidays, paid holidays, tend to see significant uptick in crime. Be it President's Day or Christmas Eve. You can track shootings in Chicago and the greatest predictor of an increase in volume of shootings will be a holiday weekend. I see no reason to believe that's not the case for car theft or property crime in general.

That's really interesting.Definitely makes a lot of sense. Do you think a transponder key-based ignition system would be more protected? Agree that this looks like a lot of effort and knowledge is required to execute but like all offensive/defensive technologies I assume it will eventually proliferate in a simplified form via the black market eventually. Do you know of any cases where vehicles have been stolen in this fashion, either professionally (if you can disclose) or that have been published in the news?
    There’s already been cases of this. Some BMWs and FCA (Chrysler Motors) cars were stolen in this manner, with the laptop armed perpetrators being videoed in some instances.

Unfortunately there’s precious little defense against this kind of compromise. In the case of the FCA theives a former employee at a plant got access to a set of VINs and the proprietary vehicle specific reset codes , which permitted brute force hacking of the keyless entry systems. The digital equivalent of a blank key, as it were. With the BMWs I suspect it’s a similar state of affairs .

High end car theives of the future will have a totally different skill set from one’s of the past, I expect. Scary thing is a thief with that skill set can do more then just steal the car. Like download maintenance records, ID where the owner frequently travels if it has an onboard NAV system, and so on. As Woody Harrellson once said in a recent cop movie, the monster has gone digital.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Early in my career GMC 80s sedans like Monte Carlos, Regals et al were easy to steal. If I saw one at night I always ran it. It was fish in a barrel.
    We had an Astro van with the same steering column that ALMOST got stolen. When I was on the phone with the detective describing the damage he said something to the effect of "The only thing I cannot figure out is, why your van is still there..."
    Last edited by mmc45414; 11-05-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    We had an Astro van with the same steering column that ALMOST got stolen. When I was on the phone with the detective describing the damage he said something to the effect of "The only thing I cannot figure out is, why your van is still there..."
    Yep if you had a flathead screwdriver you could crack the column, start the car, and drive away.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Yep if you had a flathead screwdriver you could crack the column, start the car, and drive away.
    In the process they broke the turn signal switch. The detective told me that is probably why they left it behind because at the time driving with the blinker on was probable cause and they were busting a lot of people that way. Probably wouldn't have worked in Florida...

User Tag List