Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motor Vehicle Theft

Early in my career GMC 80s sedans like Monte Carlos, Regals et al were easy to steal. If I saw one at night I always ran it. It was fish in a barrel.

Hondas were always being stolen for parts.

Pickup trucks and SUVs are always popular to steal in Arizona. Most go south of the border. You could always tell when an order came out. 15-20 4x4 trucks stolen in one night. They all went south. It wasn’t uncommon for people to see their stolen truck being driven by Mexican police.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Thanks for the repllies, everyone! Very interesting/enlightening. I can't personally fathom leaving a vehicle running unattended so I have that going for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Pickup trucks and SUVs are always popular to steal in Arizona. Most go south of the border. You could always tell when an order came out. 15-20 4x4 trucks stolen in one night. They all went south. It wasn’t uncommon for people to see their stolen truck being driven by Mexican police.
    This is really interesting to me. Are they boosting new production trucks/SUVs? If so, do you have any idea how? It seems like most modern ignition systems (especially push-start vehicles) would be really challenging to steal without a tow. Most of the vehicles I've heard of being boosted for organized criminals in this manner are older muscle cars/rally cars/pickups.

Also, off-topic, but I am in Phoenix right now for a wedding and I am insanely jealous of your "winter" weather. Probably would not be jealous of summers out here, though...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 11-02-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Not LE. That said, I do live in WA state, and I can tell you that auto theft is a thing here. I’m on the “other” (sane) side of the state, in the second largest city, and property crime is far and away our biggest criminal issue. Auto theft is a big part of this: our auto theft numbers are all out of proportion to our population size.

My household has never had a car stolen (knock on laminate camo wood), but we have an alarming number of friends who’ve had their cars stolen overnight—including one poor guy who’s had 3 cars stolen over the years... all econobox hondas. The main gag here appears to be taking cars as either temp transpo for illicit shit (likely drug related, supply side), or taking cars as temp shelter for illicit shit (always drug related, consumer side). Of the many cars stolen from working-class artist friends of ours (read; older, economy) all were recovered within a week, and they fell into two categories: #1, trashed, with used needles all over the floor, or #2, found on blocks—in several cases within 48 hours—with an extra 150 miles on them, and minus the wheels, battery, and with the cat converter expertly cut out of the exhaust system. Those cars also tend to be sanitized (in terms of prints) with WD-40 sprayed on the wheel, door handles in/out and gearshift. The only reason I know this is I’ve seen it for myself, multiple times, giving friends rides to their rigs when LE calls them to let them know they found their car.

Aside from that, all I know is that if you *really* want you car stolen around here, drive any honda or a toyota corolla or compact pickup made before 2000, and do your cardio and eat right. If you live long enough, your car will be jacked, sure as hell.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

In Seattle the cars of choice are 90s and early 2000s Subarus followed by late 90s Hondas. They are usually recovered within two weeks and have had homeless living in them.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Early in my career GMC 80s sedans like Monte Carlos, Regals et al were easy to steal. If I saw one at night I always ran it. It was fish in a barrel.

Hondas were always being stolen for parts.

PS - also tangential - at a coyotes game as I type this. They’re kicking the tar outta the hurricaines. Last time I followed the NHL my favorite team was the thrashers... If that gives you an idea of how long ago that was...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Thanks for the repllies, everyone! Very interesting/enlightening. I can't personally fathom leaving a vehicle running unattended so I have that going for me at least.

This is really interesting to me. Are they boosting new production trucks/SUVs? If so, do you have any idea how? It seems like most modern ignition systems (especially push-start vehicles) would be really challenging to steal without a tow. Most of the vehicles I've heard of being boosted for organized criminals in this manner are older muscle cars/rally cars/pickups.

Also, off-topic, but I am in Phoenix right now for a wedding and I am insanely jealous of your "winter" weather. Probably would not be jealous of summers out here, though...
    I don’t know if the new pickups/SUVsare getting taken. It was really prevalent in the 90s and later. I’m sure there are plenty of older models to take.

I always say if we had this weather year round we’d be another LA. The summer discourages some growth.

PS - also tangential - at a coyotes game as I type this. They’re kicking the tar outta the hurricaines. Last time I followed the NHL my favorite team was the thrashers... If that gives you an idea of how long ago that was...
    Nice I heard that was a great game...if you’re a Coyotes fan. LOL The Coyotes are on a roll with a five game win streak.

I remember the Thrashers. Kind of a circle. Coyotes were the Jets. Thrashers became the Jets.

Hey, if we're talkin' hockey, let's get a thread going. I don't want to miss it buried in a vehicle theft thread.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I’m fairly sure that Neph’s car has been totaled by now so we can stop worrying about it.

Site Supporter

The future of car theft is digital / hacking. It’s not super common yet as there is more money in thinga like gaspump/ATM skimmers for people with those sorts of skills but it is real.

Boost and relay attacks use the code / signal from you key fob to open / start the car.

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/just-p...can-steal-car/

https://mashable.com/2017/11/28/prot...-relay-attack/

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-...ignition-hack/
    Last edited by HCM; 11-03-2018 at 02:34 PM.

User Tag List