Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Vehicle Theft

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Motor Vehicle Theft

So, this post is an open question to any/all of you in the LE community that is largely inspired by this infographic:

I read this on Jalopnik (my #2 favorite news source after Barron's) and saw an article suggesting that Halloween is a popular night to boost cars, which go me thinking (usually a bad sign), particularly after perusing the comments section (even worse sign).

Anyway, to the point, my questions are:

1. President's Day? Really? ...why?
    2. Are there any patterns re: auto theft that you have noticed in your career? Seasonality, type of vehicle, profile of the perpetrator, motive, etc, that you have noticed in your career?
    3. In reading the comments, it seems like it is at least a somewhat common occurrence for desirable cars to be boosted and shipped overseas; particularly to Russia or the Middle East. Is this something you've observed in your career? Or modern boogeyman?
    4. Any other general thoughts, tips, etc. for the average citizen re: auto theft (besides "lock your F##ing doors," which hopefully on P-F goes without saying).

Feel free to answer any of the above in part or in whole. Mostly curious to hear your general experiences. I drive a relatively new mom car ('15 Mazda CX5), so between the generally undesirable nature of mom cars and modern anti-theft tech I am largely not worried that my car will get stolen. This is mostly for my edification, so thank you in advance for your replies. Interesting and/or humorous anecdotes that are at least vaguely tangential are more than welcome.

I vaguely recall RevolverRob posing a similar question in this forum, so I apologize if this is slightly re-iterative.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-31-2018 at 06:05 PM.

In 2016, 765,000 cars were stolen, or about 2000 per day. That's roughly the same average as the holiday chart. I'd guess Christmas and Thanksgiving are slightly lower because people are too busy shooting and stabbing their relatives. Other than that, I got nothing.
    Last edited by Hambo; 10-31-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    In 2016, 765,000 cars were stolen, or about 2000 per day. That's roughly the same average as the holiday chart. I'd guess Christmas and Thanksgiving are slightly lower because people are too busy shooting and stabbing their relatives. Other than that, I got nothing.
    Thanksgiving and Christmas are the two days they are at the address they use for court and their drivers license making it more likely for them to get picked up on their warrants.

Around here we see an increase in auto theft during the winter. No matter how many times you lecture, people leave their cars running and unattended in the driveway, in the morning.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Thanksgiving and Christmas are the two days they are at the address they use for court and their drivers license making it more likely for them to get picked up on their warrants.
    ^^^truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

1. President's Day? Really? ...why?
    2. Are there any patterns re: auto theft that you have noticed in your career? Seasonality, type of vehicle, profile of the perpetrator, motive, etc, that you have noticed in your career?
    3. In reading the comments, it seems like it is at least a somewhat common occurrence for desirable cars to be boosted and shipped overseas; particularly to Russia or the Middle East. Is this something you've observed in your career? Or modern boogeyman?
    4. Any other general thoughts, tips, etc. for the average citizen re: auto theft (besides "lock your F##ing doors," which hopefully on P-F goes without saying).
    5. Don't trade your car/truck/suv for a hit of coke or brown and then call us to repossess it for you. The vast majority of our local stolen cars are nothing more than crack trades and the junkie wants their ride back.
    6. Motorcycles (HD cruisers and high end sporty bikes) are coveted and easily stolen. 4 wheelers too.
    7. While not a vehicle, utility trailers (especially ones with landscape equipment) are coveted and easily stolen.

Here, we have four or five BOLOs read out at roll call each day related to stolen cars or trailers. Having the tag/serial numbers/VIN wrote down is a huge help to the reporting officer. Some citizens install tracking devices after repeated victimization and that is a help as well.

Locally, like the above poster said, winter time is the right time for hanging out at a gas station and waiting for someone to park, leave the ride running, and pop in the store for ciggys or power rings. They come out and the ride is nowhere to be found. Refrain from doing that......especially if junior is strapped in to the car seat in the back and the juvvy boosting the ride doesn't check.

With the modern cars, don't leave the fob close to the car with your garage door open to where the cretin can start the car and take off.

Our local stealerships always have cars stolen from them (high end Vettes and such) and that is always an inside job. Someone on the inside leaves a door open, gives their cretin buddies the intel on where the keybox is, and they come back after hours and steal the good sporty cars. One after hours security guard or two would cut down on a lot of that.

Lock your doors while you drive around and be wary of when you have to stop. If possible, be armed all the time. That way, if someone tries to jack you at a red light, the locked door is your first line of defense, driving off is second, and if you are boxed in and in peril, the firearm your final option. It's a legal use of deadly force here if you are being robbed of your car/carjacked.

Using common sense helps the common man/woman not to be a victim. That, along with being prepared goes a long way.

Regards.
    Last edited by lwt16; 11-01-2018 at 06:38 AM.

I'd guess Christmas and Thanksgiving are slightly lower because people are too busy shooting and stabbing their relatives.
    I LOL'd

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    I LOL'd
    There's a reason I avoided working Christmas Eve once I had enough seniority. Drunks, ODs, suicides, child abuse, and domestic violence including stabbing, shooting, and even arson. It was like The Purge starting sometime during second shift and running until they passed, got arrested, or died.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

There's a reason I avoided working Christmas Eve once I had enough seniority. Drunks, ODs, suicides, child abuse, and domestic violence including stabbing, shooting, and even arson. It was like The Purge starting sometime during second shift and running until they passed, got arrested, or died.
    Well, I'm sure there's nothing funny about any of this in real life. Major ugliness.

Site Supporter
    Not working any holiday on 3-11 shift is a good thing. Too many drunken shenanigans and domestics

User Tag List