Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: List of defensive shotguns that are GTG

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not to be contrarian, but as a guy who started messing with custom defensive 870 shotguns in the 90’s and who started the 1301 thread, if I wanted a shotgun I could count on to literally take out of the box to take to a class that weekend and perform at a high level, it would be a Benelli M2 Tactical with a an Aimpoint micro. The M2 is a very mature design, has stood up to high round count competitive shooting for many years, and as a semi-auto is likely to be shot well by the widest swath of shooters. The 1301 still seems like a design that is maturing. Pump shotguns depend upon the operator for reliable operation, and like a 1911 run the gamut in quality.
    Bolded to emphasize what I believe to be a key point in favor of the Benelli over the Beretta.

The Remington 870 reminds me of where the 1911 was 35-40 years ago. Back then (circa 1980 or so) the advice was, if you wanted a solid 1911: "buy a Colt. Not a new one, an old one. Then send it to a gunsmith."
    Last edited by oregon45; 11-01-2018 at 10:34 AM.

My take?

-Benelli M4 LE models (Civilian models may require mag tube, etc.)
    -Benelli M1 and M2 tactical models
    -Benelli Super Nova tactical models

That's about it. Everything else seems to consistently need work, have problems, etc. T his 1301 thread on this forum is a prime example of a gun that if you're cool spending the time to trouble-shoot it, it will do well, but out of the box? Not something I'd endorse personally with all its issues past and present.

The current 870's and 590's strike me as a QA/QC joke. Like a Chrysler product.

The most proven of all of these is the Benelli M1 and M4. The M4 had over 4 million rounds of ammo dumped through it at Aberdeen, across relatively few samples during the XM1014 testing. The M1 has seen a TON of use in police units to dove fields as field-grade guns. The M2 isn't enough of a departure from the M1 to warrant the hairy eye, and indeed has done just fine.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 11-01-2018 at 12:15 PM.

How does the m1 or m2 run on reduced recoil 8 pellet flite control and reduced #1 flite control?

Would a surefire scout or surefire handguard and maybe an aimpoint micro impact reliability?

Tagged for interest.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    How does the m1 or m2 run on reduced recoil 8 pellet flite control and reduced #1 flite control?

Would a surefire scout or surefire handguard and maybe an aimpoint micro impact reliability?
    My M2 runs #1 100%, I have had issues with the 9 pellet FC but not the 8 pellet, go figure. I need to run more 8 pellet to be sure. I have a +3 extension and Aimpoint T2 in a Scalarworks mount. I have run an X300 on a barrel clamp mount, no issues.

User Tag List