Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of defensive shotguns that are GTG

List of defensive shotguns that are GTG

I've seen several threads lately on which shotguns seem to be ideal etc. And each has given me pause and I'm now I'm running out of ability to keep track.

So - I'm appealing to our significant base of trainers and shotgun enthusiasts to provide us with their thoughts/experiences on which defensive shotguns, that can be bought new today (October 21, 2018), are good-to-go.

By good-to-go I mean, a shotgun that is reliable and durable out of the box, with common accessories added, for at least 2000 rounds of ammo (let's say, 1000 rounds of low brass bird, 1000 of buck and slugs?) without significant issues.

Assume this is a defensive shotgun only, not a competition gun. Assume this is a gun someone wants to buy and take to a class next weekend. If there are shotguns that are affected by common accessories (sling, flashlight, side saddle, etc) in your experience - let us know.

@TCinVA @jlw @Tom Givens @Dagga Boy @SouthNarc @Wayne Dobbs @P.E. Kelley

Please tag anyone I might have missed with extensive shotgun experience that should be tagged in here.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 10-31-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I've seen several threads lately on which shotguns seem to be ideal etc. And each has given me pause and I'm now I'm running out of ability to keep track.

So - I'm appealing to our significant base of trainers and shotgun enthusiasts to provide us with their thoughts/experiences on which defensive shotguns, that can be bought new today (October 21, 2018), are good-to-go.

By good-to-go I mean, a shotgun that is reliable and durable out of the box, with common accessories added, for at least 2000 rounds of ammo (let's say, 1000 rounds of low brass bird, 1000 of buck and slugs?) without significant issues.

Assume this is a defensive shotgun only, not a competition gun. Assume this is a gun someone wants to buy and take to a class next weekend. If there are shotguns that are affected by common accessories (sling, flashlight, side saddle, etc) in your experience - let us know.

@TCinVA @jlw @Tom Givens @Dagga Boy @SouthNarc @Wayne Dobbs @P.E. Kelley

Please tag anyone I might have missed with extensive shotgun experience that should be tagged in here.
    My take on current production, walk into a gun shop and purchase new:

Auto- Beretta 1301T: either a gen2 or a gen1 with the appropriate upgrades to the bolt catch

Pump- Mossberg 590A1: I never thought the day would come that I go Mossy over Remmy, but it has come. I've just seen too many issues with new production Remmys to go there with confidence.

My preference remains, however, an older 870 set up to my liking. Such beasts are still doable, they just require more patience.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

M2 is the only one I have trigger time with (20k ish). They're gtg. I'd trust an m4 as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post

Auto- Beretta 1301T: either a gen2 or a gen1 with the appropriate upgrades to the bolt catch

Pump- Mossberg 590A1: I never thought the day would come that I go Mossy over Remmy, but it has come. I've just seen too many issues with new production Remmys to go there with confidence.

My preference remains, however, an older 870 set up to my liking. Such beasts are still doable, they just require more patience.
    This plus Benelli M2, M4 and Nova variants.

Site Supporter
    For a data point of one, my Winchester Defender 1300 pump ran without problems in a Steve Moses and a Tom Givens shotgun class. It has run in shotgun matches without a hitch. There are new versions. Mine had a sling and fiber optics. No other stuff on it.

Site Supporter
    Lee Weems posted the following. It so mirrors my observations that I cut and pasted it.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    "Older" being pre-what year, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    "Older" being pre-what year, please?
    At least pre-2007, when Freedom Group took over.

Not to be contrarian, but as a guy who started messing with custom defensive 870 shotguns in the 90’s and who started the 1301 thread, if I wanted a shotgun I could count on to literally take out of the box to take to a class that weekend and perform at a high level, it would be a Benelli M2 Tactical with a an Aimpoint micro. The M2 is a very mature design, has stood up to high round count competitive shooting for many years, and as a semi-auto is likely to be shot well by the widest swath of shooters. The 1301 still seems like a design that is maturing. Pump shotguns depend upon the operator for reliable operation, and like a 1911 run the gamut in quality.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Having owned a Benelli Nova still owning a Benelli Vinci, and comparing them both to the Remington 870 I had and the '70s Vintage 1100 I still have, I can say that the Italian guns are on a whole different playing field. Their attention to detail and build quality is on a completely different playing field. I haven't put hands on with the Beretta in actually owning one yet but I would expect it to be similar. My impression of the Italian shotguns is they are almost like the old german Sig P2xx series. The craftsmanship is still there.

My 590A1 is no slouch but doesn't have the refinements like chrome lining, cryo treatments, etc. It's not "pretty" but if you look inside at the things that count, it's solid.

User Tag List