Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What wears out & when on a G35?

Well the requirement is 400 rds a year which I know is super low, I try to get my guys up to around 1500. But during the academy process we put close to 2,000 rds through them and they perform very well. Also to note we issue streamlight tlr-1s and have no issues (our guns are gen 4s). The Glock 23s we issue to exec protection have started to have problems with the lights though.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DickPR View Post
    Well the requirement is 400 rds a year which I know is super low, I try to get my guys up to around 1500. But during the academy process we put close to 2,000 rds through them and they perform very well. Also to note we issue streamlight tlr-1s and have no issues (our guns are gen 4s). The Glock 23s we issue to exec protection have started to have problems with the lights though.
    For whatever it's worth, I've owned both pistols (gen4) and found that the Gen4 G23 experienced an unacceptable rate of stoppages with or without a weapon light (worse for sure with the WML). My G35 at a relatively low round count has experienced 1 stoppage in 1700 rounds, which was almost certainly due to using out of date magazines.

To the OP - beyond what has already been posted, my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure your mags are all up to the latest specification. To my knowledge, these will have slightly staggered witness holes and will be marked "1633-03" on the rear of the magazine, just under the Glock logo.

Otherwise I am surprisingly fond of my G35. Recoil is very manageable, especially with 180gr bullets. I cannot say the same about my former G23..

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Do you reload? Factory .40 is hotter than need be to make USPSA major.
    I don't have my spreadsheets with me, but if I remember right, it's the CCI #5210, 165gr that's downloaded a bit and calculates out to just make major. Factory rated 100 fps less than the 165gr Lawman.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10-31-2018 at 07:08 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    A thought. My G35 Gen 4 wears a KKM 40-9 conversion barrel. It works as is with G17 magazines. If you wanted to go 9mm long term a 9mm ejector and extractor would be good investments.

Otherwise, Follow KevH’s advice on spring changes (recoils and magazine) and avoid bare lead bullets in your reloads due to the polygonal rifling. Some say it’s ok, some don’t. Factory says no. If you must shoot bare lead invest in an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling.

Glock used to recommend a 5000 round interval for the G35Gen4 RSA, but any specific RSA may or may not pass Glock's RSA test (research this if you don't know this test) right from the beginning; and a specific RSA can go longer than the 5000 round interval.

Breakage-wise, a specific slide STOP (not slide lock) may break and it's good to have a spare available, whether the extended version as comes with a G35 or the standard version.

I've had firing pins break or erode, apparently from using some (perhaps a case or two) of clean/lead-free ammo.

The stock polymer rear adjustable sight on commercial G35 models is fairly weak in that it won't stay put in its dovetail if bumped and the click adjustments may not be as precise as desired. As with any Glock, most folks will find his own personally-preferred sight set.

I had a Kensight adjustable rear with a pretty tall front sight (I think it was .315" or possibly even the .350"). The Kensight rear starts out fairly high and I think I was able to adjust it to use either front sight height (I no longer have a G35 which was a Gen3).
    Last edited by L-2; 11-01-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks for the tip on magazines.

A USPSA shooter I know ran a 35 for two seasons. The first one broke a rear frame rail around 30K, the replacement went about 32K. I think it also broke a slide stop spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    For whatever it's worth, I've owned both pistols (gen4) and found that the Gen4 G23 experienced an unacceptable rate of stoppages with or without a weapon light (worse for sure with the WML). My G35 at a relatively low round count has experienced 1 stoppage in 1700 rounds, which was almost certainly due to using out of date magazines.

To the OP - beyond what has already been posted, my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure your mags are all up to the latest specification. To my knowledge, these will have slightly staggered witness holes and will be marked "1633-03" on the rear of the magazine, just under the Glock logo.

Otherwise I am surprisingly fond of my G35. Recoil is very manageable, especially with 180gr bullets. I cannot say the same about my former G23..
    Nephrology,

What issues were you having with the Gen4 G-23? What, if anything, did the factory or your armorer have to say about the malfs? You can PM if you'd like so as not to derail the thread.

Thanks,
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    A USPSA shooter I know ran a 35 for two seasons. The first one broke a rear frame rail around 30K, the replacement went about 32K. I think it also broke a slide stop spring.
    And the best part, is Glock will replace those under warranty.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    And the best part, is Glock will replace those under warranty.
    I know of a group of old G35 SWAT pistols years ago that probably had 100,000 rounds on them when the left rear rail broke on an E series and it was still running.

Glock replaced the pistol. The SWAT Team replaced them with newer G35 pistols several years ago.

User Tag List