Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What wears out & when on a G35?

What wears out & when on a G35?

Questions for some of you LE armorers and instructors.

I recently picked up an almost-new Gen4 G35 to try in USPSA limited.

I’ve read a lot about the accelerated wear on the .40 caliber guns, which makes total sense given the greater bolt thrust.

Being something of an ignoramous about self loaders other than Mil Spec 1911s, what do I need to look out for? Cracks in the slide?

Any WAGs or anecdotes as to round count where they tend to fail?

Finally, is there any way to mitigate the wear, e.g. ammo to avoid, after market parts, etc.?

Thanks!

I'd just replace the recoil spring assembly at the recommended intervals and shoot that thing a bunch.

I've broken all sorts of guns. The two that kept on running were a S&W 1911PD (plunger tube above the port side grip) and a Glock 19 frame that cracked just in front of the rail on the dust cover. Both kept on trucking and I didn't realize they were damaged until cleaning later.

I'd get a parts kit of springs and such and call it a day. It's a simple pistol to work on.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by lwt16; 10-31-2018 at 12:31 PM.

I don’t have a G35, but from what I’ve read the big thing is to change out the recoil spring at the recommended intervals, if not sooner. Apart from that, just be on the lookout for slide cracks around the ejection port and where the RSA meets the slide in the front underneath the muzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet you will wear out your hands before the 35.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have been issued a Glock 35 along with the rest of my agency for approximately 4 years. We have experienced no real issues. Maintenance has been similar to any modern semi auto, recoil springs etc. We have been very happy with them.

I've had to be an armorer for more 40 S&W Glocks then I care to count and their issues have been discussed ad nauseam. Of all the 40 S&W Glocks the 35 is the most tolerant.

My personal recommendation is to change the RSA every 2500 rounds or so (same as a 1911) and to change the magazines, or at least their springs, out every 10,000 or so. Admittedly many if not most duty guns will never see these numbers.

Will the gun still function without doing this? Yes, but if you hang a light off the frame you will almost certainly suffer issues if you don't. If you are not running a light or anything else that adds rigidity to the frame you may be OK, but why chance it?

Glock RSA's and mags are cheap.
    Last edited by KevH; 10-31-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Do you reload? Factory .40 is hotter than need be to make USPSA major.

I’ve run a lot of rounds through mine, but a lot of that was minor as well, so not a good example.

Site Supporter
    I have carried/trained/competed with G35 since 2005. My training pistol is north of 20K. I have replaced recoil springs at regular intervals and a striker at about 15k because the tip had chipped/been worked flat ( think egyptian pyramid style to flatter mayan style) which led to a few FTF when shooting factory CCI (180) Lawman and Speer (165/180) factory, full power stuff. I may have replaced a frame pin somewhere along the line as well. The other springs could stand to be changed.

My carry gun had less than 500 rds when I bought it used as evidenced by the lack of wear and gold "glock" grease still on the rails. I had all the springs changed and fired a few hundred rounds such that I knew I could trust it. IIt might have 1.5k on it max thought it looks worse given the number of times it has been presented out of a kydex holster.

Unless I really knew the background of a used gun, my SOP is to change springs, test fire a few hundred rounds of practice/carry ammo and drive on with its intended purpose.

YMMV Greatly.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 10-31-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DickPR View Post
    I have been issued a Glock 35 along with the rest of my agency for approximately 4 years. We have experienced no real issues. Maintenance has been similar to any modern semi auto, recoil springs etc. We have been very happy with them.
    How many rounds a year do they shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Do you reload? Factory .40 is hotter than need be to make USPSA major.

I’ve run a lot of rounds through mine, but a lot of that was minor as well, so not a good example.
    Yep, and I’m working on some soft loads that’ll make major.

User Tag List