Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Damaged by Sinking Dry Dock

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Also: Wonder if the Chicoms are having any doubts about their slightly used Russky flattops...?
    My first doubt would've come upon seeing that the flattop had a fucking ski jump.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    My first doubt would've come upon seeing that the flattop had a fucking ski jump.
    The ski jump is pretty common for everyone who doesn't have supercarriers....so, for everyone who isn't us. France, UK, Brazil, China, India, Italy, Spain, Thailand......they're almost exclusively ski jumps instead of using catapults which are very expensive to operate.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    At the end of the cold war we had a period called Glasnost, a Russian term loosely defined as "transparent and open". I had the opportunity to go aboard a couple of Soviet warships. That experience confirmed two things I'd long suspected: it really sucked sack being a Soviet sailor and the only reason the Soviet Navy was a threat was due entirely to numbers. Their ships were, by and large, poorly maintained and crews were poorly trained. They just had a ton of everything to throw at us.
    My brother is a Nuclear power technician on subs, and he described to me how the Soviet strategy for a few decades wasn't proper shielding from radiation, but having them drink red wine.

Great. A bunch of glowing sailors with radiation sickness who are also blitzed. Thumbs up, Ivan, great fucking plan.....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The ski jump is pretty common for everyone who doesn't have supercarriers....so, for everyone who isn't us. France, UK, Brazil, China, India, Italy, Spain, Thailand......they're almost exclusively ski jumps instead of using catapults which are very expensive to operate.
    I'm just being an CATOBAR aircraft carrier elitist.

Additionally, it should be noted that the French have an active CATOBAR, the Charles de Gaulle.

My brother is a Nuclear power technician on subs, and he described to me how the Soviet strategy for a few decades wasn't proper shielding from radiation, but having them drink red wine.

Great. A bunch of glowing sailors with radiation sickness who are also blitzed. Thumbs up, Ivan, great fucking plan.....
    When I was part of the T&E team on a prototype torpedo countermeasure system, we had a meeting wherein I mentioned that Soviet subs always launched a minimum spread of four torpedoes. One of the engineers asked why and I replied, "So they can be reasonably sure one will go off."
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Would of been more exciting.
    Fora couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    At the end of the cold war we had a period called Glasnost, a Russian term loosely defined as "transparent and open". I had the opportunity to go aboard a couple of Soviet warships. That experience confirmed two things I'd long suspected: it really sucked sack being a Soviet sailor and the only reason the Soviet Navy was a threat was due entirely to numbers. Their ships were, by and large, poorly maintained and crews were poorly trained. They just had a ton of everything to throw at us.
    They say quantity has a quality all its own.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

They say quantity has a quality all its own.
    With large weapons systems like planes, integrated air defenses and ships, generation makes a difference as well.

There is a "good enough" factor where it's not just a Turkey shoot. No nation can afford to throw say WWII era surface groups at a modern navy till they run out of missiles, especially losing WWII ship size crews. But almost modern missile age British ships had a hard time with early missile age Argentine A4s armed with iron bombs. The generational gap was small enough that it got tense for Britain.

Similar phenomena in small arms I suppose. Ak47 is an old design, but good enough. But try to fight someone with rifles muskets and the modern small arms army is going to eat your lunch no matter how many people you bring.

Site Supporter
    Thailand has a carrier?

Chris

Actually, the French have a proper CATOBAR system (catapults, arrestor wires) on their carrier, the Charles de Gaulle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Thailand has a carrier?

Chris
    Went off to the googles...

They sure do!

Though it's a bit of a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTMS_Chakri_Naruebet
    Naval commentators usually consider Chakri Naruebet to be less an aircraft carrier and more the world's largest and most expensive royal yacht, while the Thai media have nicknamed the ship "Thai-tanic", and consider her to be a white elephant.
    Chris

User Tag List