Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Damaged by Sinking Dry Dock

Attachment 31877

“Are you sure that wasn’t just submarine mode?”
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Happened to a British battleship, the HMS Valiant in WW2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Valiant_(1914)

That thing is a floating embarrassment. It's OK Russia, you don't need the damn thing just come to terms with the situation and scuttle the poor floating environmental hazard. US aircraft carriers are extremely hazardous environments; combine that inherent danger with the classic Soviet style of cutting any corners possible and you have a disaster waiting to happen.

I wonder if the Chinese ship in that class has this many problems? You never hear much about it in the news but that may just be due to lack of use.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Propelled by notoriously unreliable oil-burning turbo-pressurized boilers and steam turbines—the Kuznetsov had so many propulsion failures that it had to be accompanied by a seagoing tug just in case
    I suppose they could have installed a Chernobyl grade reactor instead.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I suppose they could have installed a Chernobyl grade reactor instead.
    Would of been more exciting.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Kuznetsov is so full of fail.

The powerplant fails so often that ocean-going tugs accompany Kuznetsov wherever it goes.

Kuznetsov has managed all of four deployments since joining the fleet in 1991. Four.

The plumbing has a tendency to freeze in the winter. So they just shut off water to 60% of the rooms and half the latrines.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    No. The Navy had a class of pressure-fired ships (Garcia/Brooke) that did not smoke like that. The ships were maintenance hogs, primarily because of their engineering plants, but they still sailed.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post

The plumbing has a tendency to freeze in the winter. So they just shut off water to 60% of the rooms and half the latrines.
    Good design for a ship that operates above the Arctic Circle. (Stalin would have had the design engineers shot.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post

The powerplant fails so often that ocean-going tugs accompany Kuznetsov wherever it goes.

Kuznetsov has managed all of four deployments since joining the fleet in 1991. Four.

That's compartments and heads, wog.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

At the end of the cold war we had a period called Glasnost, a Russian term loosely defined as "transparent and open". I had the opportunity to go aboard a couple of Soviet warships. That experience confirmed two things I'd long suspected: it really sucked sack being a Soviet sailor and the only reason the Soviet Navy was a threat was due entirely to numbers. Their ships were, by and large, poorly maintained and crews were poorly trained. They just had a ton of everything to throw at us.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 11-01-2018 at 12:30 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List