Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Damaged by Sinking Dry Dock

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Damaged by Sinking Dry Dock

From ArsTechnica:

Russia's one and only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, is in the middle of a long-forestalled refit in Murmansk. But its repairs may take a bit longer now that the floating dry dock that was carrying it at Murmansk's Shipyard 82 suddenly sank—causing a giant crane to crash onto the Kuznetsov and gash a 16-foot hole in its hull. One shipyard worker is missing, and four others were hospitalized—two of them in critical condition.

The floating dry dock, the PD-50—one of the largest in the world—apparently sank as the result of a power outage following a power surge at the shipyard, possibly related to damage to power lines caused by ice.

According to the press officer of the Zvezdochka Ship Repair Center, Evgeny Gladyshev, the accident occurred while the Kuznetsov was being floated out of the dock. "When the 82nd Shipyard was launching the Admiral Kuznetsov, an emergency situation occurred," Gladyshev explained to Interfax. "Due to interruptions in the supply of electric power to the PD-50, the floating dock dived out in an off-design mode."
    Given how well the Kuznetsov "works" under usual circumstances, I doubt the damage is a big deal, relatively speaking.

Name:  IMG_20181030_172047.jpg
Views: 2022
Size:  22.9 KB

That's how it looks when it's normally underway.

Majestic.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Majestic.
    ....is it coal fired?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    ....is it coal fired?
    Something to do with how its boiler works.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1057366074449125376

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1057373919487897600
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Considering it was painted light gray, the boilers must run rich all the time.

Grey smoke means the Russian Navy gets a new Pope, or is that white smoke?

This stuff is always very confusing to me.

My thoughts are with the families of the missing/injured workers/crew.

Completely uninformed wild assed guess: The Brits just sent a message reference Novichok use within their nation.

"Make it look like an accident 007."
    -M
    Last edited by Chemsoldier; 10-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    ....is it coal fired?
    Russian.

Russian engineering.

Russian Naval engineering.

The funniest thing to me about The Hunt For Red October was where James Bond is nattering about the glorious traditions of the Russian Soviet Navy...

This, though:
    "When the 82nd Shipyard was launching the Admiral Kuznetsov, an emergency situation occurred," Gladyshev explained to Interfax. "Due to interruptions in the supply of electric power to the PD-50, the floating dock dived out in an off-design mode."
    This is some glorious bureaucratic doubletalk for "Oh, shit."

"Off-design mode"? Full points to you, comrade mouthpiece.

Also: Wonder if the Chicoms are having any doubts about their slightly used Russky flattops...?
    Last edited by Drang; 10-30-2018 at 08:06 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    Completely uninformed wild assed guess: The Brits just sent a message reference Novichok use within their nation.

"Make it look like an accident 007."
    -M
    Hanlon's Razor - Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I don't think it's a far stretch to sub in "shitty maintenance" for "stupidity".

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Hanlon's Razor - Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I don't think it's a far stretch to sub in "shitty maintenance" for "stupidity".
    Oh I know. That country has so many safety issues, it is so likely that it was simply accident or incompetance as makes no odds. It's just the kid in me that used to kill commies in the backyard with toy guns that delights in the thought of sabotage.

User Tag List