Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 QC Issues?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is from the guns you have seen fail thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....en-fail/page10

Attachment 31911

Attachment 31912

These guns were produced sometime between 2010 and 2012. Agency issued 14” 870P.
    Magazine cap not properly tightened, as in it was too loose and the barrel ring slammed forward during recoil?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Magazine cap not properly tightened, as in it was too loose and the barrel ring slammed forward during recoil?
    Yes, I mentioned that in the original post in the broken guns thread.

You can clearly see the ring for the mag tube is epoxied to the barrel not soldered.

I have a personal 870 which I purchased with Scattergun ghost rings already installed. I sent it to robar for refinishing and during the process the front sight came off because it had been epoxied instead of soldered. To their credit robar soldered the front sight on for half price and refinished the barrel.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-01-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes, I mentioned that in the original post in the broken guns thread.

You can clearly see the ring for the mag tube is epoxied to the barrel not soldered.

I have a personal 870 which I purchased with Scattergun ghost rings already installed. I sent it to robar for refinishing and during the process the front sight came off because it had been epoxied instead of soldered. To their credit robar soldered the front sight on for half price and refinished the barrel.
    Yikes! I bought two Remington barrels from Midway over the last couple of years, and the rings and sights look to be brazed on. A brass colored seam between the ring/sight base and the barrel, which I assume is some type of metallic soldering. Maybe they tried epoxy for a while and it didn't work out so well?

Hi all,

Here are some pics of my current production 870P.

Hopefully this answers some questions about current production quality. Here you can see brazed barrel ring, front sight (rear is wilson combat), the aluminum trigger guard, and the finish.

Just to be clear, not saying any other reports are not true. However, a lot of the information in this thread and many others seems to be outdated.

Interesting gun. The barrel code appears to be "KM", which suggests it could be an older barrel as it could be from either 1965, 1992, or 2019. Since we have not yet made it to 2019 and that barrel was not made in 1965, I assume the barrel is from 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Interesting gun. The barrel code appears to be "KM", which suggests it could be an older barrel as it could be from either 1965, 1992, or 2019. Since we have not yet made it to 2019 and that barrel was not made in 1965, I assume the barrel is from 1992.
    I'm not sure that makes sense. Not saying you're incorrect, but just to clarify the gun was bought brand new from a dealer.

Additionally, it has an XS front sight and a barrel detent ball on it, neither of which were around in 92 as far as I can recall.

Finally, even if they are using 1992 barrels (which I don't think they are) on their new guns, I have no problem with that as long as it is high quality and reliable.

I think it being marked 2019 makes more sense, as we are only 2 months away from that. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguybryan View Post
    I'm not sure that makes sense. Not saying you're incorrect, but just to clarify the gun was bought brand new from a dealer.

Additionally, it has an XS front sight and a barrel detent ball on it, neither of which were around in 92 as far as I can recall.

Finally, even if they are using 1992 barrels (which I don't think they are) on their new guns, I have no problem with that as long as it is high quality and reliable.

I think it being marked 2019 makes more sense, as we are only 2 months away from that. I could be wrong though.
    Remington is famous for finding old stock and using it on new guns. The barrel detent ball goes all the way back to the beginning of the 870. My old V-suffix (non-Magnum receiver) guns came with the barrel detent ball; it was removed on the Express guns. The ramp sight base design is also quite old.

I can only say that I have looked at rather large batches of new 870P guns in the past few years, and the barrel rings are definitely not soldered or brazed to the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Remington is famous for finding old stock and using it on new guns. The barrel detent ball goes all the way back to the beginning of the 870. My old V-suffix (non-Magnum receiver) guns came with the barrel detent ball; it was removed on the Express guns. The ramp sight base design is also quite old.

I can only say that I have looked at rather large batches of new 870P guns in the past few years, and the barrel rings are definitely not soldered or brazed to the barrel.
    Interesting. If that is the case, I'm certainly not complaining about getting a brazed one. Will report back on how it shoots this evening.

Site Supporter
    I'm sending an 870 back today. Odd part though is that it was made in 2009 and has never been fired. The top of the receiver is cut on such a bad angle that when you look through the rear peep you don't see the front sight. When I bought it new I called them and they said they knew about the problem and to send it back for a replacement. They sent me a return label and then that week I got hurt and didn't get it sent back right away. Life got busy and the gun got packed away and I forgot about it. An 870 discussion last week reminded me of the gun so I called Remington and they still have the return in their system as an open order. She sent me another shipping label but had no idea what they will do with the gun since it really should have been sent in during the one year warranty. She said they may go ahead and replace the receiver for free or I may have to pay for it.

Just got back from the range, the 870p functioned flawlessly with about 38 shells of buckshot thru it (range doesn't allow anything other than buck or slugs).

Will keep updating as the gun is shot.

User Tag List