Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 QC Issues?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The polymer trigger guard goes along with MIM'd parts like hammer and carrier dog, or at least that used to be the standard. The Police spec trigger group also has a stronger carrier dog spring and sear spring in it to reduce the chances of an unintentional discharge should the gun suffer an impact with a round chambered.
    Are those MIM'd parts known to be a problem? When I had my trigger assembly apart last year, they looked physically fine (no chipping or anything obvious). They don't show up on "parts you should replace" lists either. I did replace the carrier spring and sear spring, but ended up back on the factory sear spring. The police one made the trigger far too stiff. The write-ups in favor of using it were to prevent NDs, but this is the first time I've heard it suggested to avoid drop fires. I might give it another try.

What I can say is that Brownell's sells a Remington 870P trigger group that is parkerized:

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...prod26466.aspx
    On my Brownells wish list...

Thanks,
    Chris

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Are those MIM'd parts known to be a problem?
    It will depend on how hard you run your gun. My grey Humble Pie gun is at the point now where shit is breaking or close to being broken on it. My ejector is broken but the hammer in it (MIM part) is pretty deformed and I expect it will eventually die, too. You've seen how I essentially abuse the shit out of the gun both by how much muscle I put into running it and the round counts I put it through.

Most people are not running a defensive shotgun the right way, and certainly not as much as some of us are. The harder you use the gun the more that stuff is going to matter.

The write-ups in favor of using it were to prevent NDs, but this is the first time I've heard it suggested to avoid drop fires. I might give it another try.
    ND is kind of a nebulous term that gets thrown around and people misunderstand the intention of this particular modification. One of the biggest problems for repeating shotguns is their tendency to go off if they experience an impact with the chamber loaded. Given the tolerance issues of mass production and the tendency to never perform proper maintenance on shotguns out in the field by many agency users, a spring that gives a greater mechanical margin of error against the gun going bang if it receives an impact while it's loaded is beneficial.

Especially since shotguns tend to have chambers left loaded unintentionally on a frequent basis.
    3/15/2016

The last new 870P guns I have seen come with the polymer-based trigger plate. From what I can tell, the polymer is a product improvement as it holds tighter tolerances and is a bit more resistant to abuse. It is probably a cost reduction as well.

The QC issues I have witnessed on 870P guns are sights not properly oriented and barrel rings not secured to barrels. Looks like the barrel ring attachment method went from silver solder to some adhesive, and I have seen guns where the barrel ring just falls off the barrel.

Personally I have experienced no issues related to the MIM extractor versus the milled extractor. In both cases, cheap ammo (Remington Gun Club) causes failures to extract, and decent ammo functions fine.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The QC issues I have witnessed on 870P guns are sights not properly oriented and barrel rings not secured to barrels. Looks like the barrel ring attachment method went from silver solder to some adhesive, and I have seen guns where the barrel ring just falls off the barrel.
    ...or ends up placed in the wrong spot on the barrel altogether.

They seem to have changed to the same not-silver-solder process for attaching sights as well, at least on recent production barrels I've seen.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    It will depend on how hard you run your gun. My grey Humble Pie gun is at the point now where shit is breaking or close to being broken on it. My ejector is broken but the hammer in it (MIM part) is pretty deformed and I expect it will eventually die, too. You've seen how I essentially abuse the shit out of the gun both by how much muscle I put into running it and the round counts I put it through.

Most people are not running a defensive shotgun the right way, and certainly not as much as some of us are. The harder you use the gun the more that stuff is going to matter.
    Gotcha. Makes sense now. I assume your ejector is broken from use and not because you sent it to the best gunsmith in Manassas?

ND is kind of a nebulous term that gets thrown around and people misunderstand the intention of this particular modification. One of the biggest problems for repeating shotguns is their tendency to go off if they experience an impact with the chamber loaded. Given the tolerance issues of mass production and the tendency to never perform proper maintenance on shotguns out in the field by many agency users, a spring that gives a greater mechanical margin of error against the gun going bang if it receives an impact while it's loaded is beneficial.

Especially since shotguns tend to have chambers left loaded unintentionally on a frequent basis.
    The specific description was to protect against poor handling by cops (fingers on triggers, etc), not dropping. That appealed to the worrywart side of me, so I bought the spring and installed it. I didn't like how it made the trigger feel and didn't have enough time to train my finger before class, so I pulled it out. However, now knowing it helps drop-safety, I'll probably put it back in and work through the trigger pull issue. I like larger margins of error.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Gotcha. Makes sense now. I assume your ejector is broken from use and not because you sent it to the best gunsmith in Manassas?
    Oh, most definitely. The ejector on that gun has had the living shit beaten out of it in the last year of serious use, including lots of dryfire with correctly weighted dummy shells.

The ejector is the major weak point on the 870.
    3/15/2016

Oh, most definitely. The ejector on that gun has had the living shit beaten out of it in the last year of serious use, including lots of dryfire with correctly weighted dummy shells.

The ejector is the major weak point on the 870.
    And the only way to replace it is to drill out the rivets, re-install a new one with rivets, grind them flush with the receiver and refinish the whole receiver. Way beyond my humble abilities...

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    And the only way to replace it is to drill out the rivets, re-install a new one with rivets, grind them flush with the receiver and refinish the whole receiver. Way beyond my humble abilities...
    Not necessarily. It’s possible you can cut the head off the existing rivet that holds the spring itself in, replace it, then re-rivet the new spring in place. That’s what many shops that replace them do.

That still requires a special tool set for the purpose and it’s not the easiest thing for the uninitiated to perform.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The last new 870P guns I have seen come with the polymer-based trigger plate. From what I can tell, the polymer is a product improvement as it holds tighter tolerances and is a bit more resistant to abuse. It is probably a cost reduction as well.

Personally I have experienced no issues related to the MIM extractor versus the milled extractor. In both cases, cheap ammo (Remington Gun Club) causes failures to extract, and decent ammo functions fine.
    On my new 870P, I don't think either of these things are true. I believe my barrel ring is brazed on and the trigger guard is metal also.

...or ends up placed in the wrong spot on the barrel altogether.

They seem to have changed to the same not-silver-solder process for attaching sights as well, at least on recent production barrels I've seen.
    Mine are brazed or silver soldered on my current production 870P.

I'm going to take some pictures later to demonstrate current production quality, which in my opinion is quite good.

Site Supporter
    This is from the guns you have seen fail thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....en-fail/page10

Gun: Remington 870 police
    Setting: Agency Quals
    How did it fail: Ring that secures the front of the barrel to the magazine tube broke.
    What was the remedy: new barrel required
    Was it your pistol or someone else's: Agency
    Notes: Most likely cause - magazine cap not properly tightened. This is a newer gun and it appears the barrel ring is now epoxied to the barrel rather than soldered.
    Name:  E4742E4F-DE60-4FB4-82F2-9ED41C5438CA.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  5AF2FBD4-C2A3-4824-B251-B4307DDB0944.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  101.5 KB

These guns were produced sometime between 2010 and 2012. Agency issued 14” 870P.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-01-2018 at 01:20 AM.

User Tag List