Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Remington 870 QC Issues?

Site Supporter
    Back when the Express was introduced, a Remington rep told me that the Express finish was matte(rough)blue and not parkerized. To find an older nice Express, look for one with a machined extractor. On the Express guns no effort was made to deburr action parts. If I were a young man, I would locate a couple really nice Expresses and send then to Robar to be parkerized. While there, I'd pay Robar to relieve forcing cones and install the best recoil pads with stocks cut to my ideal length. Once received, I would slap a coat of Rig Gun Grease on these guns and use'em like hell but give sensible care. Robar is expensive but has a sterling reputation. Their park service cost is most reasonable. Since the guns would already be there, why ship elsewhere for other work?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Finally got the chance to lay hold of my father's 870 Express. It was purchased in Delaware sometime between 1989 and 1991:

Attachment 31976

Some years ago he replaced the factory wood with factory polymer stocks. Apart from that the gun is stock.

Attachment 31977

Here you see the blued bolt with evidence of wear from use. The extractor is made of machined steel.

Attachment 31978

Parkerized finish is uniform and has proven durable as evidenced by the wear on it relative to the wear evident on the bolt.

Attachment 31979

Aluminum trigger group with the flex-tab lifter.

The action on this gun is Wingmaster smooth because at this point the receivers were still being vibrahoned. It was used heavily for hunting birds, small game, and deer for about a decade without issue.

If you can find an Express model gun made like the one pictured, it's a damn fine shotgun. Don't hesitate to buy it. It is a completely different animal than the 870 Express I bought a little more than 10 years later.

If you want to see how Remington used to build guns:

I picked up two used Express pump guns in the mid and late '80s, respectively. I put synthetic Police furniture and a factory mag extension on one and ran it as a work shotgun from '92 to '96 when my work finally bought the civil deputies shotguns, which are 870P models with wood furniture, rifle sights, and mag extensions. They are still in service with few issues.
    I removed the mag extension off my Express and turned it into a HD shotgun and gave the second one to my son. Both have been used for clay shooting and one full day shotgun class with Benjamin DeWalt. No issues with either gun.

User Tag List