Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 QC Issues?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Finally got the chance to lay hold of my father's 870 Express. It was purchased in Delaware sometime between 1989 and 1991:

Name:  express4.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  91.6 KB

Some years ago he replaced the factory wood with factory polymer stocks. Apart from that the gun is stock.

Name:  express3.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  79.7 KB

Here you see the blued bolt with evidence of wear from use. The extractor is made of machined steel.

Name:  express2.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  79.7 KB

Parkerized finish is uniform and has proven durable as evidenced by the wear on it relative to the wear evident on the bolt.

Name:  express.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  66.1 KB

Aluminum trigger group with the flex-tab lifter.

The action on this gun is Wingmaster smooth because at this point the receivers were still being vibrahoned. It was used heavily for hunting birds, small game, and deer for about a decade without issue.

If you can find an Express model gun made like the one pictured, it's a damn fine shotgun. Don't hesitate to buy it. It is a completely different animal than the 870 Express I bought a little more than 10 years later.

If you want to see how Remington used to build guns:

3/15/2016

Our most recent shotgun class, from the end of September. This was a department-issued 870 (type unknown, but appeared to be fairly recent) broke both action bars simultaneously.

Name:  870_ActionBarsBreak1.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  870_ActionBarsBreak2.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  21.9 KBName:  870_ActionBarsBreak3.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  21.2 KB

Breaking both action bars at once is failure mode unknown to me. It almost has to be a metallurgical failure.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Breaking both action bars at once is failure mode unknown to me. It almost has to be a metallurgical failure.
    I thought I heard of that happening at a Tom Givens class, too.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    It could be that. It could also be over-tightening of the castle nut that holds the fore-end to the fore-end tube. Given that this gun was equipped with a SureFire fore-end and that the SF unit weighs almost a pound and a half on its own, no small amount of force is imparted to the action bars when we run the action as we must to ensure reliable function in a defensive context. It's not at all uncommon for the nut that holds the SF unit to the forend to come loose after the repeated blows it suffers while being run, and I could see how someone would think that really ratcheting that nut down super hard was the best way to prevent that from happening again. That puts the action bars under a considerable stress which only gets worse when we actually run the gun.

When we run the gun with the appropriate vigor there is so much force that if you make the mistake of practicing heavily with that generation of the SF fore-end while there are batteries installed in it, you will beat the batteries and the contacts for the batteries to death:

Name:  bATTERY.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  27.6 KB

The dishing in the bottom of that battery is the result of only a relatively small amount of live work and a relatively small amount of dryfire with dummies.

It's also a good reason why using SureFire batteries in such a device is a good idea, as they are at least constructed very well. A cheaper battery may well have failed by this point.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 11-07-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    3/15/2016

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    So it might be better to hang mass on a non-reciprocating part of the gun, if you can engineer the ergonomics to be functional. Surprises me I've not heard that yet.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have an 870P SBS that I bought new in 2017. My only complaint is with the finish. Just recently, I pulled it out of my bedroom closet safe and discovered a fine patina of rust on the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently responsible for maintaining 80 Remington 870's for my medium sized police department.

Our department inventory ranges from 1960 "Wingmaster" marked guns to 870P's purchased in 2004. Additionally, any seized guns to be surrendered/destroyed are given to me to either cannibalize for parts or convert to department use.

My personal opinion is the 1990's "Police Magnums" are the best of the breed. Came with Flexitab. Excellent fitting of parts, great tough parkerized finish, for the most part zero issues. The newer guns (2010+) all seem to have finish issues and part fitment issues (things like the front sight pedestal being slightly crooked, etc).

My "home defense" 870 is a 2001 production Express with the polymer trigger guard. Honestly, I think it's fitting and finish is better than the latest 870P's I've seen.

We simply refinish/refurb our older guns rather than buy new ones.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    The newer guns (2010+) all seem to have finish issues and part fitment issues (things like the front sight pedestal being slightly crooked, etc).
    Same methods that drove Chrysler into bankruptcy...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List