Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Managing Unknown Dogs MUD

@theJanitor,

Brutal. Glad you survived. I see some take home points in your story.

Support side knife would have helped.

A 45lb dog is medium sized, illustrating my point not to underestimate smaller dogs. These are capable predators.

I wonder if the dog would have traded an eye for your arm?

Strangling an animal is not easy.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @theJanitor,

Brutal. Glad you survived. I see some take home points in your story.

Support side knife would have helped. Support side FIXED blade would have better

A 45lb dog is medium sized, illustrating my point not to underestimate smaller dogs. These are capable predators. I was 200lb, and pretty strong

I wonder if the dog would have traded an eye for your arm? Probably, but I wasn't willing to go there. I thought i could get it to release me

Strangling an animal is not easy. All I got it to do was quit. I think the neighbors murdered it later that year
    Oh, and if you get bit, go to the doctor. I knew the dog, so I knew i wasn't gonna get rabies, but the infection was pretty bad
    Last edited by theJanitor; 10-30-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Managing Unknown Dogs MUD

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As the OP noted most hand bites are from owners improperly trying to break up dog fights. If you have two people drag them Apart by the rear legs. If your are by yourself a stick seems to work best. .

Regarding kids being bitten in the face, this stems from dogs nipping puppies on the snout when they act inappropriately. At least some of these bites with kids are the result of bad behavior on the kids part. The kids fail to understand the dog is a living thing that feels pain and/or the parents failing to correct the kids. I’ve seen kids intentionally poke dogs in the eye and hit dogs with sticks and then act surprised at the results.
    Do NOT “drag them by the rear legs.”

Use a breaking stick. Takes all of 10 seconds; won’t hurt either dog. You are essentially prying the dogs’ jaws off of each other. It will take both owners but it’s better than trying to rip flesh by pulling and jerking.

If you don’t know what a breaking stick is please Google it.

As for strange dogs - ultimately have an easily accessible pistol, a fixed blade knife, pepper/bear spray and a stout walking stick.

If you have a dog please keep it on a leash.

Don’t reach out to strange dogs; it’s a good way to get checked or bitten.

I’m a “dog guy” so I read their behavior very well. Others may not; most will not. So “let sleeping dogs lie”, if you will.

They’ll usually let you know if they are open to be petted. Let them come to you. For ME, if they are not wagging their entire body I’ll not reach out to them. Ever. And if you choose to don’t make moves that may be interpreted by the dog as you trying to dominate it. Patting it on top of the head, pressing downward on any part of the body. That could trigger a response as it’s NOT YOUR DOG.

Avoid the temptation to drop on your knees to be lev with the dog. Your physical cues have just tripped in favor of the dog - as you’re now more “equal” in the dog’s perception.

Lastly, if you’re into hiking get a “real” dog; a dog breed that can handle itself - and able to “get busy” with a human if necessary and absolutely have the dog WELL-TRAINED.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 10-30-2018 at 07:25 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I got bit by a 45lb dog just above my right (dominant hand) wrist. Dog wouldn't let go, and punching it the face with my weak hand didn't do anything. Pocket knife in my shorts was on the wrong side, so i resorted to choking it. I could see my bone and my tendons through the holes in my arm. I washed it up best I could and went to bed, as it was around midnight. Woke up with an infection that the doc said almost killed me. So, aside from my story, i know nothing about managing an aggressive dog.
    Just a heads up should something similar occur in the future .... exposed bone/tendon = nearest quality ER (do your homework in advance), no matter how shitty your insurance may be. Dog bites grow out weird shit too - any bite wound that pierces the skin = ER trip. Fight bites included.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-30-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Do NOT “drag them by the rear legs.”
    Great advice on all points.

I do agree about the legs. Good way to get bit. But, when my dad got bit by a dog, he grabbed it by the hind legs, swung it in the air, and smashed it against a tree. That worked pretty good.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Great advice on all points.

I do agree about the legs. Good way to get bit. But, when my dad got bit by a dog, he grabbed it by the hind legs, swung it in the air, and smashed it against a tree. That worked pretty good.
    Thanks.

All of my dog advice comes from being around working Pit Bulldogs.

Pulling hind legs won’t do anything and I dare not do anything that would turn its attention to ME so the breaking stick is THE way and everyone with a sizable dog or a tenacious dog should have one at all times with them as well as having a sturdy collar.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Avoid the temptation to drop on your knees to be lev with the dog. Your physical cues have just tripped in favor of the dog - as you’re now more “equal” in the dog’s perception.
    I think this is fine, if not a good idea, when the dog we are talking about is docile/timid + <30lb. Lots of dogs - especially rescues - are very easily scared. If you are remotely concerned that the dog is aggressive, obviously, not such a good idea.

Site Supporter
    Thanks.

All of my dog advice comes from being around working Pit Bulldogs.

Pulling hind legs won’t do anything and I dare not do anything that would turn its attention to ME so the breaking stick is THE way and everyone with a sizable dog or a tenacious dog should have one at all times with them as well as having a sturdy collar.

I’m familiar with breaking sticks among the shit bags who fight dogs.

The use of breaking sticks is controversial and generally what I consider a “bad sign” the owner. It tells me they are fighting or otherwise intentionally not socializing the dog.

Managing Unknown Dogs MUD

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’m familiar with breaking sticks among the shit bags who fight dogs.

The use of breaking sticks is controversial and generally what I consider a “bad sign” the owner. It tells me they are fighting or otherwise intentionally not socializing the dog.
    Poor assumption.

On many levels.

It’s the responsible thing to have with any and all tenacious breeds.

I can break a pissed off bulldog off in less than 5 seconds once he’s “sat on his hold” with no damage to the dog.

Don’t let YOUR prejudices get in the way of clear thought.

Last edited by Mjolnir; 10-30-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I think this is fine, if not a good idea, when the dog we are talking about is docile/timid + <30lb. Lots of dogs - especially rescues - are very easily scared. If you are remotely concerned that the dog is aggressive, obviously, not such a good idea.
    Have you seen the video of the rescued Argentinean Dogo in the set of a news station? It had fallen thru the ice and was rescued. So one of the news persons did exactly as you’re advocating: not her F’n dog, not giving the dog the space it wanted, not reading the subtle signs, getting in her knees and trying to “muzzle” the dog which promptly delivered a hard check to her face.

Not your dog, bro....

User Tag List