Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Managing Unknown Dogs MUD

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I would re-iterate Clusterfrack’s comments about reading the owners.

The last Dog shooting we had involved a person intentionally “siccing” two Rottweilers on us because we were arresting a family member for child sex abuse (second offense). Worth noting that it was only necessary to shoot one dog. The other got the message and changed behavior immediately after seeing what happened to his partner.

We arrested the family member for ADW but charges were declined by the prosecutor.

Some of my co-workers had the same situation, mom intentionally siccing two dogs on Officers because they were there to arrest her adult son. Ironically this also involved two Rottweilers and a suspect with a history of child sexual abuse.

I’ve been able to handle most dogs with posturing. With regard to OC, IME the mist works better than the stream as a deterrent.
    Make sure you shoot the owners, saves trouble for future calls.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    ... With regard to OC, IME the mist works better than the stream as a deterrent.
    Makes sense. I think dogs are more affected by the respiratory effects of OC than they are by getting it in their eyes.

One problem is that dogs are often encountered outdoors. And fogger units don’t come in pocket size.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I've noticed the dynamics of an MUD change when I am walking my dog (90 lbs.). I live in a suburban area and other dogs perceive (IMO) our walks on the sidewalk to be an invasion of the other dogs' territory by my dog. When the neighbors' dogs get loose, they make a bee line for my dog and ignore me (so far). Walking with my dog provides me with some protection from dog attacks, but having my dog present seems to increase the aggression of the other dogs.

@Clusterfrack mentioned multiple dog attacks as being scary. Yes! My scariest dog encounter involved an adult male neighbor walking his two dogs, a German Shepherd mix and a pitbull mix. The two dogs literally pulled the neighbor off his feet at which point he lost control of the leashes. I learned that night that a hammer smash to the head of a German Shepherd with a Streamlight 2A has no effect. If two dogs of at least medium size attack you, you're not going to stay on your feet for long.

Our neighbors have a “rescue” German Shepherd Dog that is only under control of the guy. His wife is tiny and ineffective in controlling “Cujo”. A typical interaction is this:

I approach their house with my dogs on leash. Off leash Cujo goes apeshit. The wife screams “Cujo!!!! No!!!” [panicked breathing] “Cujo!!! Come? Come? No!!!! Cujo!!!”

She is acting completely terrified and Cujo naturally picks up on this. I hope I don’t have to fight that dog, but it seems inevitable.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

She reminds me of my neighbors "controlling" their useless shit dog. Moronically, but also loud enough so the next-door homes can also hear how moronic they are.

COOPER COME. COOPER. COOPER COME OVER HERE. COOPER. COME OVER HERE. COOPER COME.

Fucking idiots need to be re-enrolled into the 4th grade or relocated via cannon into the ocean somewhere. It's too bad Australia is now reputable. If a dog owns you (AKA a four legged hairy toddler), that is an incredibly incompetent failure at life.
    Last edited by Peally; 10-30-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Oc spray has always worked for me. A nice 1 second stream to the face and snout has turned the meanest dog from aggressively attacking to running away with its tail between its legs. A baton works nicely as well.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I saw one guy pry a pitbull's jaws off a dying dog by sticking his fingers ALL the way up its nose.
    If a dog sank its teeth into my ~11 year old beagle it would get as many 9x19mm JHPs at contact distance as are necessary to change its behavior.

I got bit by a 45lb dog just above my right (dominant hand) wrist. Dog wouldn't let go, and punching it the face with my weak hand didn't do anything. Pocket knife in my shorts was on the wrong side, so i resorted to choking it. I could see my bone and my tendons through the holes in my arm. I washed it up best I could and went to bed, as it was around midnight. Woke up with an infection that the doc said almost killed me. So, aside from my story, i know nothing about managing an aggressive dog.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I got bit by a 45lb dog just above my right (dominant hand) wrist. Dog wouldn't let go, and punching it the face with my weak hand didn't do anything. Pocket knife in my shorts was on the wrong side, so i resorted to choking it. I could see my bone and my tendons through the holes in my arm. I washed it up best I could and went to bed, as it was around midnight. Woke up with an infection that the doc said almost killed me. So, aside from my story, i know nothing about managing an aggressive dog.
    And with YOUR 1911 collection??

Just kidding. Glad you are doing better, we'd miss ya around here.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And with YOUR 1911 collection??

Just kidding. Glad you are doing better, we'd miss ya around here.
    Ha! this was back in 2005 I married the owner of my assailant in 2009

User Tag List