Thread: Safety selector intermittently stuck

Safety selector intermittently stuck

Went to range yesterday to confirm my rifle zero. I observed that intermittently, my safety selector would not switch from FIRE to SAFE. The selector is able to switch again if I pull back on the bolt either slightly (press check) or fully. When chamber is empty, the selector has never jammed whether the BCG is locked back or not. I am running a Daniel Defense DDm4v7pro Lower with Ambi safety selector, POF ultimate bolt carrier group, Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced Trigger, and OEM buffer and buffer spring. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for any help.

AR safety will not engage with hammer down. Is that the condition in which you’re experiencing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the safety will not engage when hammer is up actually. A round is in the chamber and the bolt is forward, the selector will move partially from FIRE but gets stuck halfway before it gets to SAFE. When I move the bolt back a little (as in press check), the safety will then move completely to SAFE. Does not happen all the time but once is too many. Thank you for your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Thn9mm View Post
    the safety will not engage when hammer is up actually. A round is in the chamber and the bolt is forward, the selector will move partially from FIRE but gets stuck halfway before it gets to SAFE. When I move the bolt back a little (as in press check), the safety will then move completely to SAFE. Does not happen all the time but once is too many. Thank you for your interest.
    I’d reassemble the fire control assembly to be sure nothing is amiss there. Don’t lose any springs.
    #RESIST

He said hammer down, but that’s how we describe a snapped trigger. If the hammer is forward the safety won’t engage. That’s how AR’s work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’d reassemble the fire control assembly to be sure nothing is amiss there. Don’t lose any springs.
    This and check the groove on the internal portion of the safety for burrs.

Ambi safety selector, POF ultimate bolt carrier group, Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced Trigger, and OEM buffer and buffer spring.
    Couple of questions.

Did the gun work fine, then you installed all this stuff, and now you have a problem? Who installed the parts? Or, did the gun work fine previously WITH all of this stuff and this problem is now new? Or, is this the first time out with this gun, with or without all this stuff installed, and it’s never worked properly? Any level of disasembly between the last range trip and this one? How many rounds through the gun without a problem prior to this issue showing up?

And, not to be condescending, but what’s your level of experience with the AR in general, both in terms of shooting and in terms of tinkering?

All of that said, I’d take the grip off, drop the spring and decent out of the bottom, pull the safety, and look for anything that doesn’t seem “right”. Post pictures of the parts here if you’re not sure. If you have the original parts, and/or a spare spring and decent, compare them to the parts in your gun as well.

I removed the pistol grip and checked that the detent spring and detent were all in good shape and properly aligned. Reinstalled the grip and went to the range again. After 100 rds of 5.56 55 grain, i have not had the problem again. whatever it was went away. Thank you everyone for your contributions.

User Tag List