Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GSSF Noob

Basically what Gabe already said. I get way more enjoyment out of USPSA now, but GSSF is still a grin. Go, you’ll have fun.

I’ve got a GSSF coupon or two I should probably use up. I also wouldn’t mind winning another Glock or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few other notes:

Some of this may be dated as it has been a few years since I have shot a match.

-The GSSF squad system is apparently written in a language that only a few people on earth understand. When it is followed correctly, matches runs smoothly. When it's not, be prepared for a massive bog.

-I tried to shoot matches early on Sunday mornings. The crowds were usually lighter, and the match crew generally had some sort of a system worked out by that time.

---------------

I very much enjoyed GSSF when the matches ran smoothly. While there are some variations in the courses of fire from match to match, overall, the results are repeatable and directly measurable as compared to the action shooting sports.

There were shooters I couldn't touch in an IDPA match whom I would beat by 20 seconds or more in GSSF. It's about a balance of speed and accuracy and not a track and field event.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

FWIW:

Having now shot and RO'ed at the match in question, the scoring, stages, squadding, and "flow" of the match make a whole lot more sense. I still don't have a great grasp of the divisions or how the overall rankings work, and I don't know how well I've really done by comparison (though I certainly don't expect to have won anything), but I will say we had a lot of fun and met a lot of interesting people. Most importantly, my wife had fun too!

If I'm adding my score up right, I got a 105.17 in Civilian 19.

I'm thinking more seriously of investing in a "real" shot timer (vs a phone app) and a few more target stands of my own. It's not just to practice for this event, but I think as a benchmark it might be really useful and might give me a better prep for next year.

Things I learned:

- Entering more divisions isn't the huge pain in the rear I expected it to be. I didn't realize that you'd shoot all of yours consecutively at each stage; if I had, I'd have entered another division or two instead of just one.

- I think a lot of my recent practice with slow fire helped my accuracy, but I felt like my transitions weren't smooth and I definitely need to work on longer distances.

- RO'ing was really, really interesting. I'd never done it before, but the guys on the lane I was assigned to were on the ball and trained me on the timing side. I learned a lot from doing that, and they gave me a lot of constructive advice. We had a couple of "pucker" moments with some new shooters. What really threw me was when I got back from lunch break on Saturday, and I got put in as "traffic cop" for the entire bay of four lanes, watching all four to make sure everything was good to go hot or cold. That was a real eye-opener--my head was on a swivel trying to watch all four lanes, keep track and make sure everyone had their weapons safed and stowed before calling cold. I still wound up having to give some "corrective advice" to a couple of shooters regarding muzzle and trigger discipline. It's amazing how mentally draining that is. The other guys said I was doing a good job, at least, and though I still probably need some more supervised experience, working as an RO is something I think I could start doing at local matches, and we definitely both plan to do it again if they hold one here next year.

-
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    FWIW:

If I'm adding my score up right, I got a 105.17 in Civilian 19.
    There are some variations to the courses of fire depending upon the circumstances of the particular range. For example, the range for the old Knoxville match had a unique circumstance that required two 25 yard targets on the 5-to-Glock stage. The Civilian winner there was usually in the 70s. At a place like Morganton, the times are typically much faster with the Civilian winner being in the low 60s or high 50s.

Depending on the number of shooters, they will award random prizes; so, even people that don't place will often win someting.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

The match was this weekend and the preliminary results just came out. It looks like I managed the high overall score in the whole match for the match meister award.

Thanks to all for the tips. I ended up shooting unlimited (g34 gen5), competition (g34 gen5), and stock (19M). I shot them back to back to back and used the unlimited runs first to “warm up” and get a feel for the pacing of the stage, then shot the competition and stock divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    The match was this weekend and the preliminary results just came out. It looks like I managed the high overall score in the whole match for the match meister award.

Thanks to all for the tips. I ended up shooting unlimited (g34 gen5), competition (g34 gen5), and stock (19M). I shot them back to back to back and used the unlimited runs first to “warm up” and get a feel for the pacing of the stage, then shot the competition and stock divisions.
    I had to sneak a peek at the scores, that is a smoking time!

One thing I really enjoy about GSSF is the ability to see the scores from around the country, it looks you have some talented marksmen in GA!

Late to the thread, but for the knowledge base. I've done GSSF and won some guns. My .02:

Practice the stages. They're published and repeatable. If you can't set up the stage you can practice the specific tasks.
    If you're on the threshold of a Master rating anywhere, go shoot GSSF first and win some guns.
    If you qualify for the Guardian division, look at past matches at the same location and see if you should shoot that or Amateur. One may be historically easier to win, and the players can be the same each year.
    Shooters matter more than the divisions. In the smaller or less competitive matches, you may not think yourself competitive in a certain division but the shooters may not be as good as elsewhere.
    The more competitive folks will shoot multiple divisions. Gather intel from past matches as you decide what you'll do.
    Shoot your weak divisions as warm-up for your stronger. Use the same gun across eligible divisions if able. If you shoot both days, save a warm-up division for each day. Even if non-competitive, you might win a random prize.
    Rule enforcement can vary. ROs are human.
    Scores results can be slow. Be patient.
    Support the local club if they're selling food or trinkets. It's a lot of work to put those on. Especially if it's kids.
    If you win, prize guns options are limited and the wait is long.
    If you win, staff at GSSF is great at helping you wait and patient with status checks. Especially Jessica.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post

Outstanding shooting Gio! Congratulations and great job!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List