Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSSF Noob

GSSF Noob

My local club is hosting a GSSF match in a few weeks. I've never shot one before, but since it's so close, I'm interested in trying to win some Glocks. How do the prizes typically work? Does the top shooter in each division win a gun or is it a random prize table? If you enter multiple divisions, can you win multiple guns or do they limit you to only one? Thanks!

Talk about a ringer, good luck
    #RESIST

Ping Gabe. We also have some forum members intimately familiar with GSSF details.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In the amateur categories, the winner of each division wins a pistol with second and third earning cash prizes. There are also plenty of randomly drawn prizes.

At the master level, I think only one pistol is awarded for the top overall.

They will publish preliminary results within a day or two of the match, and then the results become final in 30 days.

Be sure to check your score sheets and verify your scores. I had one instance in which my score was incorrect in the published results, and I was able to get it fixed.

I shot GSSF for four years, and for two of them, I won enough that I had to pay income taxes on my winnings.

After you win three times, you get bumped to master. If you are a paid shooter or already a master or higher in some of the action shooting sports you can’t shoot amateur.

Unfortunately, two of the matches in GA no longer take place, and the last few years there has always been a date conflict with anything close enough to attend.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Gio, let me send you some info when I get back home. I have something written up somewhere (though I'm sure you can find your way through the competition no problem.) The short version on prizes is that you'll only be able to win one gun per match, because you'll be in Master Class right out of the gate due to your existing USPSA classification.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    In the amateur categories, the winner of each division wins a pistol with second and third earning cash prizes. There are also plenty of randomly drawn prizes.

At the master level, I think only one pistol is awarded for the top overall.

They will publish preliminary results within a day or two of the match, and then the results become final in 30 days.

Be sure to check your score sheets and verify your scores. I had one instance in which my score was incorrect in the published results, and I was able to get it fixed.

I shot GSSF for four years, and for two of them, I won enough that I had to pay income taxes on my winnings.

After you win three times, you get bumped to master. If you are a paid shooter or already a master or higher in some of the action shooting sports you can’t shoot amateur.

Unfortunately, two of the matches in GA no longer take place, and the last few years there has always been a date conflict with anything close enough to attend.
    Thanks! I will be classified as master. So if I shoot the competition division, the unlimited division, and the stock division, does each one give out a pistol for first place or will they cut me off if I win one? I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth signing up for multiple divisions or just pick one.

@Mr_White edit: I just saw you responded as I was responding. Thanks!
    Last edited by Gio; 10-28-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    (Rules and criteria deleted) I type slowly...

Many of the serious master-class shooters will enter as many divisions as possible. (I think it's seven.) There's a rule known as "share the wealth" that limits each master-class shooter to one gun he/she can win per match. As long as at least ten master-class shooters, a pistol is awarded to the one with the high score. If that person has already won a pistol in another division, the prize goes to the next highest score. If all the available divisions have at least ten masters shooting, as many as eight of these folks can go home with a Glock.
    Last edited by T Smith; 10-28-2018 at 09:04 PM. Reason: already addressed

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Thanks! I will be classified as master. So if I shoot the competition division, the unlimited division, and the stock division, does each one give out a pistol for first place or will they cut me off if I win one? I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth signing up for multiple divisions or just pick one.

@Mr_White edit: I just saw you responded as I was responding. Thanks!
    I'll defer to Gabe on the master level prize stuff. I bumped to master in the last match that I shot, but I haven't been able to shoot since then.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Gio, actually I think what I have written up is way more basic than anything you need - it was for when I had inexperienced competition shooters joining the GSSF team I captained. The only thing I think you should know (and you probably do already) is that the scoring system in GSSF is vastly more punitive for inaccuracy than USPSA. More than IDPA too. The true target throughout the entirety of the match is an 8" circle. You need to shoot the center of every target with every shot. Shooting clean is the way to get the best score you can.

If you get a malfunction, don't clear it and continue - they'll give you a reshoot unless you keep having them.

Do not fire extra/make-up shots on paper targets, or run yourself out of ammo on the plate rack and leave plates standing (reloading on the clock and continuing to fire is not allowed.) The are big penalties for both of those.

The more divisions you enter, the more likely you'll win a gun, due to the share the wealth rule. Up to you how many you want to do. Master Stock and Competition are your best bets to win a gun because they pretty much always have enough entrants/Masters that a gun is up as a prize. Some of the other divisions sometimes don't get enough and then the prize is not a gun. That varies - it depends on the match.

Good luck. If you shoot the sights, you won't need it though.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

“I’m a competition noob, I swear!” -Gio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List