Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts: Marcus Wynne's LoPro Carry Setup

Thoughts: Marcus Wynne's LoPro Carry Setup

Link to original article:
    https://marcuswynne.wordpress.com/20...nter-tactical/

I'm gonna quote bits and pieces of his article and throw them into a quote box. If you want to read the article in it's entirety, the link is above.

From left:
    • Belt: Boxer Tactical 1.75 inch http://www.boxertactical.com
    • Holster: Black Center Tactical IWB for G19 worn appendix in line with inguinal fold. Modded with an extra length Incog strut (available as an option) to seat the pistol deep into the belt line.

NOTE: I can already hear the tacti-cool amongst you screaming “Must have full firing grip! Must have full firing grip!” I’m gonna digress here for a minute and share a little bit I’ve learned from people much more experienced and smarter than me over the last 40 years of being in and around this here bidness:

IWB concealment runs on a spectrum from deep in the waistband like this (much better concealment, slower presentation) to high in the waistband so you can get your full firing grip on the pistol in the holster (faster presentation, poorer concealment).

This guy sets his pistol up for this level of deep concealment because

a. He can hide ALL that gear under a light T-shirt at close quarters with people (and does so, regularly)

I'm thinking about trying something like this out and I had a few questions:

1) I don't like the idea of using a plastic clip (I'm assuming the Incog clip is plastic, it looks plastic). I'm thinking about using a Discreet Carry Concepts clip. The only issue I'm having is that there isn't an over the belt model with a long strut. Closest I can find is their behind the belt clip.

What are your thoughts on that particular clip, and using the pants to hold everything in place rather than a belt? Is there another model out there that would fit the bill?

2) If I can't get a long strut for that particular holster, could a standard strut with a JM Custom AIWB holster work? I'm looking at the location of the loops and thinking those holes might be too high, sitting the grip below the belt line and might be too weak, being so close to the lip of the opening. I think the DSG Orion would be perfect for this, but alas as a lefty, I don't have that option.

Now some questions about technique:

I tried drawing from this position out (grip right on the pants) using holster-less "mexican carry". The solution I seemed to use was to reach behind the pistol with my thumb and pinch the slide/frame junction between the thumb and inner trapezoid/trapezium (according to this picture: link). While pinching, I'd pull upwards and as the pistol cleared the belt line the fingers wrap around and come into a full grip. Most of the time. Needs more practice, or perhaps refinement.

In your opinion, is this the proper way to draw? Once you got the draw down, think it'd stand the test of ECQC?

Thanks fellas!

Unrelated: Marcus Wynne's books are excellent. If you haven't read any of them, you're wrong. http://www.marcuswynne.com/

Not only does he write like someone who knows what he's saying (because he does), but he includes "tips" that can be used in training/learning/pain management/social engineering, etc.
    Last edited by Jay585; 10-28-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Why compromise your ability to get a full firing grip in the holster? There are many AIWB holsters available now that allow for a full firing grip while easily concealing a G19 sized pistol in just a t-shirt.

I have not used the Incog clip, but I have used the Raven Eidolon clip which is broadly similar (plastic tooth to hook under a belt). It was unusable for me without a belt. The only ones I've seen which work well without a belt are:

- The High Noon Holsters spring steel clip
    - The spring steel clip used by Dark Star Gear
    - The clip Spencer Keepers puts on his Errand, with the stippling

I haven't used them but the clips offered by Discreet Carry Concepts (JMCK uses them now IIRC) look like they'd work as they share the same tooth mechanism as the DSG clip.

In my experience, pants can support up to a double-stack subcompact reasonably well (think G26), but are best with single-stack subcompacts and J-Frames. A G19/midsize gun is a bit much and I'd want a belt to support the weight.

I can't speak to the low-ride aspects as I've never done anything lower than the frontstrap in contact with the belt and I felt that was suboptimal.

Site Supporter
    I believe DCC makes the best clips around. I use the over the pants ones for a tuckable set up. Remember, just because your pants are supporting the holster, your belt is still supporting your pants. Totally solid clip IME.

Appendix holsters, body types, and how these interact are so different, that I hesitate to make any generalizations about what will or will not conceal.

For my own use, I have determined that a low ride appendix holster where my knuckles hit my belt and slow my draw conceals better than a higher ride appendix holster that presents faster. Tony at JM makes different hole placements that allows me to set my holster to favor concealment or speed, based on which holes I use.

Some years ago, I started a thread about having different appendix holsters oriented towards speed or concealment, and the reactions to this were diverse.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Everyone has their priorities, and concomitant gear choices to make. I would, personally, rather conceal a lower-capacity and less capable weapon, and have reliable, rapid one-handed access to it under duress. And that inner-tube knife set up: awesome job of maximizing SFB concealment, but if one is going to be making access to a SFB as slow and convoluted as a folder, may as well just run a good folder. JMO, OMMV, etc.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Bear in mind that Marcus has been doing CCW for a long time in high threat environments. You may not agree with his choices but they result from a lot of thought and experience. YMMV.

What gun?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Everyone has their priorities, and concomitant gear choices to make. I would, personally, rather conceal a lower-capacity and less capable weapon, and have reliable, rapid one-handed access to it under duress.
    If your priority is surviving random violence in the US, I think that's the right answer. Ease and speed of draw matter more often then capacity. There are the outliers, the active shooter in the movie theater/church/park type scenarios, but there's a *lot* of street muggings for every one of those. I'd rather carry a Shield I could reliably access one handed while entangled or injured then a long slide Glock I had to contort or make a 2 step draw to get into action.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

@BehindBlueI’s is right. Pick the tool for the job. That’s all I was getting at; no disrespect towards anyone making a different evaluation for their sitch.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-28-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List