Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thoughts: Marcus Wynne's LoPro Carry Setup

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Luckily, those aren't the only two choices.

BB,

First off, I agree with you that those aren't the only two options and I am glad that they're not.

Fouled and fumbled draws literally get people killed. It's the same as empty chamber carry and a manual safety you didn't deactivate. There is little more dangerous in an armed encounter then going for a gun and failing to put an operative weapon into play before the other guy catches on to what you're doing and does something about it.
    Secondly, I'd like to see the link to the research that you're quoting/referencing, if it's OK to have that made available to the general public, so that I can become better informed. Also, does your research material include instances of death/injury where the victim did not have a firearm on them?

Thanks,
    Keith

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    Secondly, I'd like to see the link to the research that you're quoting/referencing, if it's OK to have that made available to the general public, so that I can become better informed. Also, does your research material include instances of death/injury where the victim did not have a firearm on them?

Thanks,
    Keith
    The research is my own case files. I worked a busy Homicide & Robbery office for a few weeks shy of 6 years.

An example is the guy killed by a pair of serial carjackers. They had carjacked at least 8 people prior to him. They injured nobody. He went for a gun, too slow, and made his wife a widow. Compliance was safer then making a play too slowly.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The idea has merit IMHO. With the addition of two kids and a new work schedule resulting in less sleep and a sometimes crappy diet, I've put on about ten pounds in the last two years. I can't quite conceal my EDC G19 as readily as I once could. While I understand that the definitive option is to lose the ten pounds, having the weapon ride lower in the waistband can certainly aid in concealment. When I had occasion to carry a S&W Shield in a definite NPE with consequences, I had Dale Fricke make me an Archangel AIWB holster for it that rode about 1/2 inch lower in the waistband. Worked perfectly for my needs at the time.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    There are times when concealment is a higher priority. The point is to match the pros and cons of a gun and carry set up with your expected needs. A gun you can conceal great but can't get to in a fight might as well be at home. There is a balance.

I've related the story of carrying a 1911 in a "Thunderwear" holster, which is now Smart Carry. It's a slow draw. It's difficult to access one handed (assuming your wearing real pants and a belt), etc. My concern wasn't random violence, though. My concern was a specific and credible active shooter threat from a fired employee. The business was a huge open floor plan, the building was used to refurbish locomotives prior to being converted to our business. I was not preparing for the 3 foot 3 second 3 shot street mugging, I was preparing for a potential 75y engagement with an active shooter in cubicle land. So, Gov't 1911 in a very low profile carry system. If some asshole robbed me in the parking lot, compliance was probably my best option.

Choose your gear based on YOUR needs, not anyone else's needs. Educate yourself on the pros and cons, and match them up. Then know the limits of your choice. I think most posters in the thread are basically saying that, just phrased differently. It's one reason I'm a real fan of two guns. Two carry positions can allow one to cover the shortcomings of the other. Appendix and pocket carry, strong side and ankle, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I’ve used less accessible methods when concealment was a concern, but a service(ish) pistol was preferable to a pocket pistol. It’s a tool in the tool box. It’s not meant to be the gospel. I will say I trust Wynne’s opinion a lot more than a lot of the instagram/YouTube/Facebook celebrities that seem to rule the roost these days. Keep in mind, all of Wynne’s characters chose service pistols in excellent holsters when absolute concealment wasn’t the priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I could have used his article a while back. Through some trial and error, this is how I carry my Glock 29(yes, 29, not 19). To draw I use my thumb first and fingers follow to acquire my grip. Is it fast? No, but it's not slow. One of the first "rules" is "have a gun" and I have one.

A question I have is most prefer a higher grip because of being able to draw one handed. A cover garment is going to be in the way for a low or high ride holster so I don't understand. How do you draw one handed with a cover garment? I assume there is a youtube video I can watch, time to GOGGLE! Then time to dry draw practice one handed.
    Mike Seeklander has a solid one-handed draw from concealment on video that should be easy to find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The research is my own case files. I worked a busy Homicide & Robbery office for a few weeks shy of 6 years.

An example is the guy killed by a pair of serial carjackers. They had carjacked at least 8 people prior to him. They injured nobody. He went for a gun, too slow, and made his wife a widow. Compliance was safer then making a play too slowly.
    Thanks for your follow up BB. I currently use a few different carry methods depending on where I'm going to be and my clothing. I definitely prefer quick access but sometimes I have to sacrifice some speed for better concealment and still having something on me. I appreciate the thankless work that you do and I hope that your community does as well.

Stay Safe,
    Keith

User Tag List