Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BUIS - Cowitness

When working from the holster, I don't need the BUIS. When working from the safe, the briefcase, the tabletop, or even when doing a reload that's in a non-normal position, the irons somehow let my brain figure out the position of the gun, in space, and help to get it squared up, so i can find the dot easier.

Obviously, dot failure is a whole nother thing. I can use the "horns" on the RMR and line them up with a torso shaped target and do pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    A friend has no iron sights on his main gun used for match and carry. He figures that if the light fails, his well practiced index to see the dot immediately upon the draw will let him frame an assailant in the window well enough for drastic emergency defense.
    Either he is one cool character with amazing skills, or is working off of lack of real life, or force on force type of training to accurately assess this topic.

Have him try shooting from non-conventional, or perhaps improvised positions. Maybe while making a hasty movement into position. Maybe only one hand on the weapon. Maybe adding some distances out to 10, 15+ yards. Or maybe a combination of any of these conditions.

Then consider stress of a gun pointed in your direction, or taking fire. Then add the stress of being accountable for the rounds that you need to fire. Maybe something beyond standing square to a target at short distances and drawing to a shot. Some things to consider. Let me know how that works out for him.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

Have him try shooting from non-conventional, or perhaps improvised positions. Maybe while making a hasty movement into position. Maybe only one hand on the weapon. Maybe adding some distances out to 10, 15+ yards. Or maybe a combination of any of these conditions.
    Point shooting is life, bro. [emoji848]

I don’t get the aversion for BUIS. With iron sights, nobody claims the sight picture confuses them, but with RMR’s these same sights now have you completely flustered? I don’t buy it. Just ignore the irons, which should be easy enough, since the RMR lets you focus on...*drumroll*...the threat, and not the sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Let me know how that works out for him.
    I kind of thought the Memphis PD and several years of competition had gotten him used to a lot of that stuff.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    T
    So my question is, are 'standard' height sights a viable option with an RMR?
    Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    Don't know about the Sig, but on Glocks standard sights won't clear the RMR by much or at all, so you may as well not have them.
    I've a G26 that's directly milled for an RMR with a very deep pocket, and I use a tall but still "standard height" .260 tritium dot with a white outline Ameriglo sight. Doesn't require holsters made for suppressor height sights. Placing white dot just above lower edge of the window, I am completely comfortable with head shots out to 7 yards. .280 sight would've likely worked even better.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I kind of thought the Memphis PD and several years of competition had gotten him used to a lot of that stuff.
    Well that answers it. He must be a savant as most guys with that much experience don't just disregard the possibilities, especially on a critical use weapon. I can't even imagine trying to justify a situation if something bad happened. You will have zero ground to stand on. You are probably correct for seeking opinions other than just relying on his, especially if you don't possess his similar level of skill and proficiency.

Another benefit of a co-witnessed BIS is to check if anything has moved....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I would never run a "working gun" without some kind of back up iron sight, and I personally prefer a full cowitness.

Site Supporter
    I had an RMR start flickering in a class. I finished the drill (B-8 @25) with irons, then swapped guns out. I have since ordered new duracell batteries and the anti-flicker plate (this is for one of the type 1 RMRs I have) to try and solve the problem. I don't get the aversion to back up irons. If you are shooting target focused with a dot, I have never had the irons be 'in the way.' I can't really see any downside to having them, and a very compelling argument for having them.

User Tag List