Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Larger caliber semi-auto

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    If bears are a possibility, I’d at least consider the .338 Federal:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/338-federal/
    On our discussion list, but do you think a .338 Federal will penetrate the brain of a bear any better than a .308 with a good bullet? If not, the .338 Federal is disadvantaged in the 300-400 yard deer envelope, is another caliber to stock, and is surely less proven than .308 in terms of reliability.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If price and caliber conversions are not concerns, then the KAC SR25 ACC (now called E2 CC) with a NF1-8 ATCAR is my vote. If cost is a concern but weight is not, then I say a LMT MWS.

Having said that, tons of people are using SCARs, OBRs, REPRs, and even M14 variants for what the OP describes.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-28-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Have you looked at the Galil ACE in 7.62x51?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    How are the S&W M&P10s?
    A former poster said it made a good hunting rifle but not necessarily a good battle rifle. If I recall, he didn't seem to think it would hold up to heavy use.
    I've shot mine quite a bit out to 600 yards after putting a free float rail and I would definitely consider it accurate enough for deer at 400. Mine has been completely reliable with ball ammo from Federal, PMC, and Federal Gold Medal 168s and Hornady 155 AMAX. I think it has a lighter barrel than most of the 308 ARs out there.

Been discussing this with some AK friends, and the multiple bear attack, while hunting deer is a major concern. I got charged on my first day hunting on Kodiak, fortunately by just one bear, and a man was severely mauled on Afognak, deer hunting off a boat with my friends, a few years ago. A long way of saying this is just not a theoretical consideration. They are “figure this out and tell us what to get.”

The rifle needs to be accurate and handy enough you would carry it to harvest deer on a sport hunt, but dead nuts reliable enough that when that when this rifle is all that stands between you and the end of your life, it works. I considered hunting with a 14 inch Benelli in my hands, and a light bolt slung, but the do all semi-auto seems more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Have you looked at the Galil ACE in 7.62x51?
    Only folks I know with them have a vested interest in keeping advertisers happy. The guns are very reliable, but 2-3MOA at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Been discussing this with some AK friends, and the multiple bear attack, while hunting deer is a major concern. I got charged on my first day hunting on Kodiak, fortunately by just one bear, and a man was severely mauled on Afognak, deer hunting off a boat with my friends, a few years ago. A long way of saying this is just not a theoretical consideration. They are “figure this out and tell us what to get.”

The rifle needs to be accurate and handy enough you would carry it to harvest deer on a sport hunt, but dead nuts reliable enough that when that when this rifle is all that stands between you and the end of your life, it works. I considered hunting with a 14 inch Benelli in my hands, and a light bolt slung, but the do all semi-auto seems more efficient.
    Are you going to carry it with a round chambered?

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    Are you going to carry it with a round chambered?

Except for special circumstances, like stalking animals, or certain cover in bear country, we have historically been empty chamber in shotguns, lever and bolt guns when in the field. The AR does not seem conducive to quickly chambering or to multiple chambering/unchambering cycles with the same round, so we will have to consider this.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Except for special circumstances, like stalking animals, or certain cover in bear country, we have historically been empty chamber in shotguns, lever and bolt guns when in the field. The AR does not seem conducive to quickly chambering or to multiple chambering/unchambering cycles with the same round, so we will have to consider this.
    In nasty weather I wouldn’t trust many gas 308’s to cycle without putting it through its paces in poor conditions. I also wouldn’t run an adjustable gas block in your situation, I’d prefer fixed and maybe a little over gassed.

I would purchase from a reputable manufacturer with excellent customer service.

I believe you and I hunt in similar terrain, and weight is something I always consider.

Since I’m in the WC camp, I would call Bill and talk to him about his 308’s and your situation. I know he has hunted a lot with his 308.

I've been pondering the Desert Tech MDR; the bullpup form factor might make it a bit handier? It is also short-stroke piston, so that's arguably a better choice than a DI gun in weather extremes. Being from Desert Tech, I'd assume that it'd be more accuracy oriented than other .308 bullpups on the market, like the TAVOR 7 or the RFB.

@Failure2Stop might be able to shed some light on current KAC offerings.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 10-28-2018 at 10:37 PM.

User Tag List