Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Larger caliber semi-auto

Curious to hear if anyone has time with the Savage MSR10. It uses the smaller frame/bolt like the DPMS GII. Their 16" Hunter model is listed at 7.8 lbs.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Still thinking about the Benelli in .30-06 at all?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would like a semi-auto long gun, I think in .308, that would allow me to, for example, harvest deer out to 400 yards on Kodiak Island, while also having the capability of defending against a multiple bear attack, like the sow and two adult cubs that mauled friends a few years back on Afognak Island, on the north end of Kodiak. In a perfect world, this would be a lightweight rifle that handled well, went between a LPV and red dot, was MOA accurate and very reliable.

In years back, I had a few Larue .308 rifles, but sold them unfired based on some negative reports. I also had early Knights Armament rifles, but found the 16 inch models unreliable and the longer barrel models pretty clubby. I still have a pair of SCAR 17 carbines, but the stock does not get along with my high cheekbones, and if possible I prefer regular AR controls. The strong SCAR market makes it easy to convert those to cash. Not interested in a FAL, HK 91 or M1A for this use, based on past experience.

Here are three possibilitie:

SR-25 E2 ACC. The size and weight are attractive and it is reputed to handle well for a .308. Negatives are it is crazy expensive, as in $4,900, and there are some friends with very negative KAC CS experiences.

LMT LM8MWS FDE Slick Upper 16. Lots of real world military experience, reported great CS from LMT, and supposedly very accurate. Significantly less costly than the SR-25. Negative is, despite being their lightweight model, it is still 9 plus pounds.

Wilson Combat Recon Tactical. Just under 8 pounds is a major positive.

Thoughts?
    I have a fair amount of time behind gas 308’s. Larue, WC, KAC, and several of my own builds using Mega Arms upper/lower.

I have plenty of negative things to say about them in general. I found most not to meet my reliability standards, or not live up to my accuracy standards. Running a gas gun accurately can be difficult, requires concrete fundamentals and a few tricks to wring the most out of them.

On timed drills past 300, there’s only a slight advantage to the gasser, and if the shots are tight, the bolt wins.

If you’re good with 1.5 moa average with over the counter ammo, a gas gun will suit you fine. If someone claims better accuracy than that with factory ammo....I would be highly suspicious.

Having said all that, I’m anxiously awaiting the release of the Barrett Rec 10. I no longer own any large frame gas guns, but from what I’ve heard, I might give it another go with the Rec 10.

To clarify-5, 5 shot groups, fired consecutively, untimed, is the standard I go by to determine the accuracy of a rifle with me behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would like a semi-auto long gun, I think in .308, that would allow me to, for example, harvest deer out to 400 yards on Kodiak Island, while also having the capability of defending against a multiple bear attack, like the sow and two adult cubs that mauled friends a few years back on Afognak Island, on the north end of Kodiak. In a perfect world, this would be a lightweight rifle that handled well, went between a LPV and red dot, was MOA accurate and very reliable.

In years back, I had a few Larue .308 rifles, but sold them unfired based on some negative reports. I also had early Knights Armament rifles, but found the 16 inch models unreliable and the longer barrel models pretty clubby. I still have a pair of SCAR 17 carbines, but the stock does not get along with my high cheekbones, and if possible I prefer regular AR controls. The strong SCAR market makes it easy to convert those to cash. Not interested in a FAL, HK 91 or M1A for this use, based on past experience.

Here are three possibilitie:

SR-25 E2 ACC. The size and weight are attractive and it is reputed to handle well for a .308. Negatives are it is crazy expensive, as in $4,900, and there are some friends with very negative KAC CS experiences.

LMT LM8MWS FDE Slick Upper 16. Lots of real world military experience, reported great CS from LMT, and supposedly very accurate. Significantly less costly than the SR-25. Negative is, despite being their lightweight model, it is still 9 plus pounds.

Wilson Combat Recon Tactical. Just under 8 pounds is a major positive.

Thoughts?
    Forgot to add:

Of those, buy the WC.

It’s the only one I’d carry into the field. Hunting buddy uses one. He’s taken a small bull elk, a cow, and several white tail with it over the years I’ve known him. It’s light, reliable, and If an issue comes up, they’ll take care of it.

How are the S&W M&P10s?

Which ones have stood up to the rigors of sustained OCONUS combat use?

That would likely be a good place to start....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Larger caliber semi-auto

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

.308s aren’t that great of a lineage for that. Maybe it changed lately, but when I started looking for a .308 rifle, I saw a lot of negatives on SR-25s and alike. Actually made me invest in a M1A instead.

For ARs, I’ve heard A LOT of good with the S&W M&P-10. I’m not buying a rifle or pistol until I leave NJ’s jurisdiction... but the M&P-10 is on my list. Considering I’m going to Houlton, ME for work... kind of works out great to buy a S&W.
    Last edited by Screwball; 10-28-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Are you referring to KAC or it’s replacement, the HK G28?

I have no time behind the HK, but I do with the KAC.

I personally do not think it does anything a WC cannot for George’s intended use. And it costs almost 2xs as much.

Site Supporter

That would be:

KAC M-110 (the issues reported were with earlier versions of the SR25)
    LMT MWS (with the Brits and other commonwealth)
    Scar
    Armalite (Canada and Brazilian Police use)

Tne MWS has the best reputation of these but there is a weight penalty.

If bears are a possibility, I’d at least consider the .338 Federal:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/338-federal/

User Tag List