Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Larger caliber semi-auto

Larger caliber semi-auto

I would like a semi-auto long gun, I think in .308, that would allow me to, for example, harvest deer out to 400 yards on Kodiak Island, while also having the capability of defending against a multiple bear attack, like the sow and two adult cubs that mauled friends a few years back on Afognak Island, on the north end of Kodiak. In a perfect world, this would be a lightweight rifle that handled well, went between a LPV and red dot, was MOA accurate and very reliable.

In years back, I had a few Larue .308 rifles, but sold them unfired based on some negative reports. I also had early Knights Armament rifles, but found the 16 inch models unreliable and the longer barrel models pretty clubby. I still have a pair of SCAR 17 carbines, but the stock does not get along with my high cheekbones, and if possible I prefer regular AR controls. The strong SCAR market makes it easy to convert those to cash. Not interested in a FAL, HK 91 or M1A for this use, based on past experience.

Here are three possibilitie:

SR-25 E2 ACC. The size and weight are attractive and it is reputed to handle well for a .308. Negatives are it is crazy expensive, as in $4,900, and there are some friends with very negative KAC CS experiences.

LMT LM8MWS FDE Slick Upper 16. Lots of real world military experience, reported great CS from LMT, and supposedly very accurate. Significantly less costly than the SR-25. Negative is, despite being their lightweight model, it is still 9 plus pounds.

Wilson Combat Recon Tactical. Just under 8 pounds is a major positive.

Thoughts?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I originally was going to go with the custom built route, but went with a KAC CC upper due to a group buy. That being said, during my time planning for the custom built, Citizen Arms came up more than once as a guy that could build a high quality large frame rifle.

The Daniel Defense DD5V1 might also be worth a peek.

Maybe drop the weight on the LMT even more by opting for the lightweight 13" barrel rather than the lightweight 16"? E-filed Form 1s are suppose to be coming back really fast these days, within a month I've heard.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 10-27-2018 at 08:36 PM.

I’ve had great luck with my LaRue PredatAR 762. It’s a 16” circa late 2012. With a Z6i 1-6 and Scout light it’s light enough to carry (I don’t have the exact weight).

If I was shopping today I’d give the DD .308 a go. What we the rifle I’d stick with the Swaro 1-6. Maybe a 1-8 but the FOV is ridiculous and the dot brighter than Mubarak Aimpoints. With the BRT reticle it’s good to 600 yards. Ran it in a F2S Heavy Carbine class and it had zero issues.

Do they still have heavy metal in 3-gun? What are those guys shooting?

Did you try converting to the ACR stock instead of the UGG boot SCAR stock stock?

FWIW: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-10s/

I have no affiliation with that site.

I had read of some issues with the DD — what is the latest thinking on those? Reasonably priced, good weight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Another vote for the Daniel Defense DD5V1. There is a lot to like about this rifle.

I’m going to play good idea fairy for a minute. Have you looked at 6.5 Creedmoor? From what I’ve read they would meet your ballistic requirements and they seem to work well out of AR style rifles. I’ve been this close to building one multiples times but truth be told I just don’t have a (practical) need for something like that. I forget who is building them for Kyle Lamb but he talks about them in his podcast a lot. Lightweight, lots of energy, flat shooting, and really accurate. Buying ammo anywhere would be a possible draw back though.

LMT Mlok chassis will save you a few ounces. They also have LW profiles of their 16" chrome lined and SS barrels, will save another 8 ounces. Would think for your purposes the LW profile would serve you well. Will still be heavier compared to the KAC but is battle tested. (And unlike Larue, had a 308 predatObr also, LMT actually has barrels in different calibers/lengths readily available).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List