Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Larger caliber semi-auto

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yes on BUIS, just haven’t gotten that far yet, as only got Swaro on today and still have not zeroed it. Maybe a T2 too, for when the rifle is in more defense mode, like when an animal is harvested and we are packing meat.
    Given the ease of mounting and available lightweight BUIS sets, I would install some too if I were using the gun for defense against a multiple angry bear attack.

I've not peeked through the Swaro 1-6 before. Vision being the subjective and personal thing it is, do you find the T2 noticeably better for you than the Swaro on 1x?

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Given the ease of mounting and available lightweight BUIS sets, I would install some too if I were using the gun for defense against a multiple angry bear attack.

I've not peeked through the Swaro 1-6 before. Vision being the subjective and personal thing it is, do you find the T2 noticeably better for you than the Swaro on 1x?
    The appeal is lighter weight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post

I got the impression GJM was talking about the micro as a backup instead of irons.

I spent half a day in a class with a T-1 and switched rifles in the afternoon to a Z6i 1-6. The Swarovski felt like cheating! It was like poking through a huge window and my times were faster even though the optic and rifle were heavier. The FOV on them is insane.

Just focused on the quote in your Sig line:

“The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard“

I had the distinct honor to know Finn, and at a Jeff Cooper Whittington reunion, break two successive thrown clay pigeons with Finn’s Mauser .30-06 rifle. Probably couldn’t repeat it no matter how hard I tried.
    The Mauser 30-06 you mention may be the one he described in "A Professional Rifle." My favorite thing about it is that it was cheap--you could probably build an exact replica for under $1k even today. He updated the build sheet to accept stainless the Model 70 in "A Professional's Rifle Revisited," and the 30-06 Model 70 that I've posted about here several times is built to that specific pattern.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The Mauser 30-06 you mention may be the one he described in "A Professional Rifle." My favorite thing about it is that it was cheap--you could probably build an exact replica for under $1k even today. He updated the build sheet to accept stainless the Model 70 in "A Professional's Rifle Revisited," and the 30-06 Model 70 that I've posted about here several times is built to that specific pattern.

Okie John
    His rifle I shot had a Leupold 1.75-6, if there is a picture of it in his book.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I got the impression GJM was talking about the micro as a backup instead of irons.

I spent half a day in a class with a T-1 and switched rifles in the afternoon to a Z6i 1-6. The Swarovski felt like cheating! It was like poking through a huge window and my times were faster even though the optic and rifle were heavier. The FOV on them is insane.
    Actually, I plan BUIS like the Troy ones that solidly lock up, in case you get one of those weather days when it is raining or blizzarding.

His rifle I shot had a Leupold 1.75-6, if there is a picture of it in his book.
    I believe that's the one. The scope was in Redfield rings and bases, with a quick-release lever and base that had a little peep sight built into it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Actually, I plan BUIS like the Troy ones that solidly lock up, in case you get one of those weather days when it is raining or blizzarding.
    Angled or traditional? I have the same ADM mount and Z6i and the traditional will fold under the glass.

User Tag List