Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms 1-6 FFP vs EoTech Vudu for 14.5"

Primary Arms 1-6 FFP vs EoTech Vudu for 14.5"

I'm struggling what optic to put on my 14.5" rifles in general, to include my URGI build. I've finally been able to decide what I want in VPO's and what "Mission" (using the term loosely) I'm expecting each rifle setup to fill. I've decided my HK MR556's are going to wear Trij Accupower 1-8's so there's zero retraining when I pick up one of my two HK's to use as an SPR. I've also decided that my 11.5's are going to wear a Steiner P4Xi because I'm not going to be pushing them outside of 200-300 yards, and I don't mind SFP for 4x. Honestly you're either close or you're not with a 1-4x and I'm not putting an Elcan on anything...... But I've decided I like FFP on anything over 4x and I've used my Trijicon at different powers without any guess work. Which I like. So if I'm dialing more than

I've also decided that a lighter well built optic in the 1-6x range with FFP will be about perfect for a 14.5". With the trend of everyone going 1-8, the 1-6 market does have some good options, but SPF seems to be the choice for most of them. I like the Vortex Razor HD II, but I don't love it, and with no FFP options available it's completely off the table for me. I do expect whichever 1-6x to be at least patrol worthy, which is hard to quantify with new scopes, and I know GarandThumb said the Primary Arms 1-6x isn't patrol worthy, but I'd be willing to test that out for $400 if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I am however a buy once cry once kind of dude, and my goal here is:

1 go to 1-8x: Trijicon Accupower 1-8x28 (mission accomplished)
    1 go to 1-6x: ???????
    1 go to 1-4x: Steiner P4Xi 1-4x (Mission Accomplished)

So for a 1-6x I'm open to suggestions, but I'm mostly between the EoTech Vudu and Primary Arms Raptor 1-6. Also keep in mind I'm going to be launching 62gr MK318 and similar loads out of my 14.5's. Any experience anyone has with the 1-6x market and what would be a good fit is welcome. Additionally anyone with experience with the two VPO's I've highlighted would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gents.

P.S. Now I purposefully didn't include the Nightforce NX8 because I was going that route, but....... Not everything I have needs a 1-8 and I'm still not sure I like it enough to spend that kind of money on it. Especially because my suppressed HK CR556 needs a Trijicon which is much cheaper. So please refrain from "Just get the NX8 ghey boy!" style posts.

I had to google those scopes. The PA is 399 and the Vudu is 1399. That’s quite a spread.

My favorite and go-to 1-6 is the Swarovski Z6i. But it’s much higher in price - justifiably so in my opinion but I get that some folks won’t spend that on glass.

Regarding EOTech’s behavior the last few years I won’t give them a dime on principal. I also don’t trust them based on my experience with their optics failing over and over. If it’s a serious use rifle in that price range I’d go with the Vortex Razor HD.

As for inexpensive LPV’s I’ve been happy with my Vortex Strike Eagle though it’s not daytime bright and I haven’t pushed it hard. I also snagged a Primary Arms 1-6 with their ACSS reticle on Black Friday for $173. It was too good to pass up but I haven’t been able to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I had to google those scopes. The PA is 399 and the Vudu is 1399. That’s quite a spread.

My favorite and go-to 1-6 is the Swarovski Z6i. But it’s much higher in price - justifiably so in my opinion but I get that some folks won’t spend that on glass.

Regarding EOTech’s behavior the last few years I won’t give them a dime on principal. I also don’t trust them based on my experience with their optics failing over and over. If it’s a serious use rifle in that price range I’d go with the Vortex Razor HD.

As for inexpensive LPV’s I’ve been happy with my Vortex Strike Eagle though it’s not daytime bright and I haven’t pushed it hard. I also snagged a Primary Arms 1-6 with their ACSS reticle on Black Friday for $173. It was too good to pass up but I haven’t been able to try it out.
    I'll take a look at the Swarovski, and would you mind giving me your inputs on the Primary Arms after you've taken it out and gotten a good feel for it?

I'm also on the fence with EoTech, but they're under new management from what I've heard and their quality is much better. But I don't forgive easily. I was on the fuck EoTech bandwagon for a good while after their stunt. But I might give them a shot if they're on the correct course. We'll see. The jury is out, if it'll serve my needs then we'll see. The price on optics planet is $970 and I get discount codes regularly so, I might be able to get it in the high $700's to mid $800 range.

Site Supporter
    The Primary Arms and the strike Eagle are made in the same factory like the PA/SIG/Holosun RDS.

On both the Strike Eagle and the PA I actually preferred the 1x on the 1-8 versions to the 1-6 versions. This was based on the PA Gen 2. Ha ent looked through one of their Gen 3s.

I have two Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x LPV’s (one FFP one SFP) and have been very pleased. @JM Campbell has a FFP version as well and has been happy with it.

The gold standard 1-6 is the Vortex Razor Gen 2. This optic is in use with .MIL entities. The only complaint has been the weight but latest version, the E models is 25% lighter. EuroOptic has some killer deals on the older models ($899) right now.

The Vortex PST II 1-6 is also a good optic for the money is not quite as bomb proof as the razor.

The Swaro 1-6 is a great optic but their Sister company, Khales males my personal favorite 1-6 the K6i.

@NickDrak has some time on the EO Tech 1-6.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-27-2018 at 01:55 AM.

My limited experience with the Vudu 1-6 consisted of borrowing one for a weekend and looking at different objects at different distances for a bit. What I found was, for my eyes, I could not set the diopter to have a crisp reticle or image at both 1x and 6x. For example, If I set the reticle to be crisp at 6x, the image at 1x was horrible (and vice versa). Basically I had to set the diopter in a compromised intermediate setting for the reticle to be useful in either 1x or 6x. The reticle would be “useful,” but blurry. I experienced a similar issue with my gen3 primary arms second focal plane 1-6.

The above issue was not experienced (at least not nearly as pronounced) with either my Steiner p4xi or a friend’s Vortex Razor 1-6. With the P4xi I could “bias” the diopter for better focus for either low or high end magnification, but the reticle and image would be very usable at either end no matter what.
    Last edited by Backspin; 11-27-2018 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    My limited experience with the Vudu 1-6 consisted of borrowing one for a weekend and looking at different objects at different distances for a bit. What I found was, for my eyes, I could not set the diopter to have a crisp reticle or image at both 1x and 6x. For example, If I set the reticle to be crisp at 6x, the image at 1x was horrible (and vice versa). Basically I had to set the diopter in a compromised intermediate setting for the reticle to be useful in either 1x or 6x. The reticle would be “useful,” but blurry. I experienced a similar issue with my gen3 primary arms second focal plane 1-6.

The above issue was not experienced (at least not nearly as pronounced) with either my Steiner p4xi or a friend’s Vortex Razor 1-6. With the P4xi I could “bias” the diopter for better focus for either low or high end magnification, but the reticle and image would be very usable at either end no matter what.
    That's good news to hear about the P4Xi, I haven't had a lot of time on it, but the time I did have it impressed me for a "simple" 1-4x. I think it's a really underrated optic. I'm looking forward to getting them on a few rifles. If this 1-6x thing doesn't work, I might use the Steiner.

I appreciate the feedback on the 1-6's I'll have to mess with a few if I get an opportunity to see if I have the same issues. If they'd make the Vortex Razor HD II in FFP I'd already have one. I really have issues with not being able to trust my Zero or having to do math if I'm not dialed in at 6X or 1x. A 1-4 doesn't have to travel far so switching mags isn't a huge deal. But once you start getting over that, you might get stuck wanting to change the mag and having a to take a shot at an inopportune magnification for a SFP. My Trij doesn't have that problem, but IMO the Trij isn't good for everything. SPR or a "lightweight .308" Battle Rifle. But I want something lighter and faster.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    For the 1-6 I'd go with the Vortex Razor Gen II Enhanced all day long as been discussed previously in length, we have a crazy price on them right now too.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Nightforce has a pro deal, and includes the military/LE only capped variant in there. If you don't care about the capped windage, the pricing on ExpertVoice for the NX8 is even better than the standard pro deal.

I'm told that Leupold has a generous pro deal, too, perhaps look into the MK6, or wait for the MK5.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 11-27-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Nightforce has a pro deal, and includes the military/LE only capped variant in there. If you don't care about the capped windage, the pricing on ExpertVoice for the NX8 is even better than the standard pro deal.

I'm told that Leupold has a generous pro deal, too, perhaps look into the MK6, or wait for the MK5.
    The Mk6 1-6 is a great 6x scope but it is poor at 1x. specifically loss of illumination unless you have perfect head postion. The Vortex razor and Khales do both well and are similarly priced.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Mk6 1-6 is a great 6x scope but it is poor at 1x. specifically loss of illumination unless you have perfect head postion. The Vortex razor and Khales do both well and are similarly priced.
    I like my Mk 6 at 1x quite a bit. There can be a flicker in the red horseshoe with head position, but I’ve not had a loss in illumination. In a way I like the feedback about my cheekweld.

Kahles is a great scope. I do not like the Vortex that much.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List