Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Complete and total J-frame shenanigans

Complete and total J-frame shenanigans

So then, in my "help me spend a little money thread," the S&W 43C got as many votes as anything (except for "Whiskey"), so I went ahead and procured one. It was the front runner anyways, because I needed a .22LR J-frame. Some minor email hijinks between FFLs delayed receipt just long enough for a gun that looks exactly like this one to show up in the used case:

So I bought it too. That is a 36-6, bead blast black finish, 3" "target" with a full lug and full-length ejector rod throw. 615 made in 1989. Great fit/finish, and an excellent trigger. I got a hell of a deal on it (and adhered to the provisions of @Stephanie B 's vote) to boot.

So all's well that ends well there.

As to the 43C, on the gun's maiden voyage to the range, I discovered that the trigger cannot be successfully pulled all the way through on 2 of the 8 chambers. As well, one of the chambers exhibits light strikes, with the result that between 5 or 6 of the 8 chambers reliably fire as expected. This was verified and repeated across 4 cylinders of factory Winchester .22LR ammunition before I called it a day, packed up, and headed out to the parking lot to phone S&W customer service. Of further note: case extraction is extremely stiff, and I say this as a current owner of 3 other--well, now 4 other--S&W J-frames, to say nothing of those that came before. It's already halfway back to S&W via the FedEx label they emailed me.

Oh, and somewhere in all the running back and forth to sort out the shipping, I bought an unfired, but "used" Rock River 1911. I'll post pics of that somewhere appropriate, later. Probably buried in the gallery, where my wife can't see it.

In all, I'm not sure what the moral of this tale is. Maybe, A: I've got a shopping problem, and B: the older S&Ws are just mo' betta, no matter what the internet bloggers say about the better accuracy/higher velocities/whatever of the new guns. 3 of my Js are 1990-ish or earlier, and they're all still happily plugging along, with great triggers. My 642 is pretty good, in all (shoots well, nothing rubs or squeaks), but it's my 3rd 642. I'm reasonably certain that the 43C will come back 100 percent, but it's going to take at least this one trip to make it happen.

But, man, did things work out on that 36-6; I was in there the day it came off of hold.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Hammertime
    Thanks for talking me out of a 43c.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Thanks for talking me out of a 43c.
    You're welcome. Although, when and if it comes back with all 8 chambers timing up, I may be talking you back into one. The sight picture is excellent, the recoil negligible, and it shot to POI all 5 times it went off, every time. And the trigger pull on the chambers that would pull, was way better than I had been led to expect; heavy, sure, but smooth. I'm not giving up on the idea, by any stretch yet.

My favorite LGS owner (and, I'm sure the feeling is well on its way to being mutual, given how many freaking guns I've bought from him this year) made the comment that putting 8 holes and 8 teeth on a ratchet in a space designed for 5-6 is not unlike shortening a 5" all-steel Gov't to 3.5". It can certainly work, but it's harder to get it right.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The tolerances they should be held to are so much smaller than the size of the features, it shouldn't really be a problem. If they can design it, they should be able to make it. If they can't design it, they should be able to figure that out when they try.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I'd have jumped on that gun as if it were made of chocolate.

(But I think I was recommending a N-frame. So send the gun to me and start over. )
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    The 3” is nice but the Rock River needs its own thread.

RR made great semi custom 1911s before they made ARs. They stopped building 1911s fro several years. Is this a current production or from their prior production?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'd have jumped on that gun as if it were made of chocolate.

(But I think I was recommending a N-frame. So send the gun to me and start over. )
    Indeed, but I hasten to add that your very first post was, roughly "used wheelgun goodness," or somesuch, so mission accompli. Not to be all ‘captain rubitin’, but: mint condition, $450 out the door, inclusive. For something I may not see again soon.

I’ve been wearing my happy face.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The 3” is nice but the Rock River needs its own thread.

RR made great semi custom 1911s before they made ARs. They stopped building 1911s fro several years. Is this a current production or from their prior production?
    2018 production. I’ll post a pic over in 1911 gallery later today, hopefully without offending anyone. I will say that it’s an *excellent* shooter; fantastic trigger, and it ate up a couple boxes of ball and multiple magazines—of various manufacture—of 230 GDHP, with amazing smoothness. It’s far and away already my favorite 1911 to shoot, and nobody is more surprised than me. The shop guys actually had to talk me into it; I’m most glad that there is a lot of trust there.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    ^^^^ You are, of course, correct. Chief Special Targets are excellent guns.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    ^^^^ You are, of course, correct. Chief Special Targets are excellent guns.
    Yes, oh yes. I’ve had a 3” J on my radar for a while and I would have jumped on that one in a heartbeat. Well done.

My quick and dirty rule for Smith revolvers, is if it has a lock, or has been made since they started with the locks, I don’t trust it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List