Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How durable and reliable is the 1897 Trench Broom?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    One might ask how double barrels became the default gun of serious clay shooters.

I'd suggest that one of the primary reasons is because they break less.
    As a former high volume clay shooter - the reason we use OUs is:
    1) We hate cleaning shotguns therefore avoid autos
    2) In Sporting Clays, it can be advantage to have two different chokes vs compromising two different target presentations
    3) OUs are inherently more expensive therefore we can show off more
    4) The weight and length of OUs (we were shooting 32 inch barrels in my day) assisted with swinging the shotgun (not stopping when trigger pulled)
    5) OUs break less than autos (the normal "most reliable" autos of that time were Beretta 390s and 391s with the Rem 1100s and Browning Golds (my favorite!) were "bring a spare"

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    2) In Sporting Clays, it can be advantage to have two different chokes vs compromising two different target presentations
    4) The weight and length of OUs (we were shooting 32 inch barrels in my day) assisted with swinging the shotgun (not stopping when trigger pulled)
    5) OUs break less than autos (the normal "most reliable" autos of that time were Beretta 390s and 391s with the Rem 1100s and Browning Golds (my favorite!) were "bring a spare"
    With a son that's been shooting sporting clays for the last two seasons, I can confirm nothing has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post

You left out not having to pick up hulls.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    You left out not having to pick up hulls.
    And the fact that in a world where loading more than 2 shells into the gun at a time is a no-no, having a gun that holds more than two shells provides no benefit.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List