Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worth Reporting?

Site Supporter

Worth Reporting?

Daughter called me after a bad Uber trip today. Driver seemed "odd" and started asking a lot of questions. More about her day than anything personal, way more than she wanted to share. After trying to disengage from the conversation, the driver pulled over and told her to get out..... At which time she discovered that the doors would not unlock. I assume the driver had set the doors to "child safe" mode. Driver seemed angry when he then demanded she get out. She told him the door was locked, at which point he unlocked the door, she got out, and he split.

She'll report the driver to Uber, but I was concerned (red-flag concerned) that the driver set up the car so that passengers were unable to leave unless the driver unlocked the door.... Maybe he's got small kids and just leaves the doors that way due to the hassle factor of resetting them? Is it worth filing a report with the local PD just for the paper trail?

Anyone happen to know if Uber has a policy on this? Google-fu drew a blank.

FWIW... Kid is 20-something... definitely not a smartass in public places or with strangers. College town.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Daughter called me after a bad Uber trip today. Driver seemed "odd" and started asking a lot of questions. More about her day than anything personal, way more than she wanted to share. After trying to disengage from the conversation, the driver pulled over and told her to get out..... At which time she discovered that the doors would not unlock. I assume the driver had set the doors to "child safe" mode. Driver seemed angry when he then demanded she get out. She told him the door was locked, at which point he unlocked the door, she got out, and he split.

She'll report the driver to Uber, but I was concerned (red-flag concerned) that the driver set up the car so that passengers were unable to leave unless the driver unlocked the door.... Maybe he's got small kids and just leaves the doors that way due to the hassle factor of resetting them? Is it worth filing a report with the local PD just for the paper trail?

Anyone happen to know if Uber has a policy on this? Google-fu drew a blank.

FWIW... Kid is 20-something... definitely not a smartass in public places or with strangers. College town.
    I'd call.

If I got that call, I'd be glad to take it.

It's not an inconvenience when you're on duty.
    A71593

Site Supporter
    When in doubt make a report.

It may come to nothing or it may be a bread crumb that helps form a bigger picture.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It may come to nothing or it may be a bread crumb that helps form a bigger picture.
    What I was thinking... plus... "I need to design a pepper spray holder with a glass breaking tool".

Thanks! @nwhpfan too.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Back when I was hungry and destitute after college I drove a taxi in NYC for a couple of months. Some of the cabs had the ability to lock the fare in the rear if they didn't pay or so you could drive them to a police precinct if they were batshit crazy. (Provided you had a glass partition in the taxi.)

I agree that it's worth making a report. It might save someone some grief (or worse) down the line.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Definitely call the cops and report it. Uber is fucked up as it is.

Anyone see the report of the mother and daughter kicked out of an uber after dark for being Trump supporters? Uber gave them $5 coupon.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

My .02: see something, say something. If someone is off-kilter enough to be that weird while on the job, they’re probably living on the edge on their own time and dime. May as well leave a bread crumb, per above, if the need for a trail emerges down the road.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Daughter called local PD who referred her to Campus PD, since the incident occurred on campus (situation went TU pretty quick to not have made it off campus yet). Campus PD insinuated she could possibly file kidnap charges. She declined to do so, given that when she asked the driver to unlock, he did so without further threat. Apparently there was some PC "feelings" discussion but my kids aren't wired that way. PD said they would contact Uber as well as contact the driver to follow up.

Standard reminders given to be watchful for car and driver, since he knows her locations.

Thanks all for the feedback. Hopefully this is the end of it, other than the life lessons (and some more grey hair for dad).
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 10-26-2018 at 02:21 PM.

You should also convince your daughter to stay the f*** away from Uber.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List