Thread: Semi-Auto Shotgun Function Check

Semi-Auto Shotgun Function Check

How do you go about testing a shotgun for function? When I was testing an M4 type rifle, I would hold it away from my body, and fire a round, and expect it to lock back on an empty mag. With a shotgun though, do you just hold it loosely like it was an air rifle? Do the same as with an M4? Choke up on it like you're trying to strangle it? How does one hold it when testing a lower recoil ammunition to verify function and if you "trust" that to run when it counts or not? I am not sure I am conveying this accurately, but I think I'm getting my question across?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    How do you go about testing a shotgun for function? When I was testing an M4 type rifle, I would hold it away from my body, and fire a round, and expect it to lock back on an empty mag. With a shotgun though, do you just hold it loosely like it was an air rifle? Do the same as with an M4? Choke up on it like you're trying to strangle it? How does one hold it when testing a lower recoil ammunition to verify function and if you "trust" that to run when it counts or not? I am not sure I am conveying this accurately, but I think I'm getting my question across?
    For me a function check has always been something performed on a verified empty weapon to make sure the safety works as it should and that each mode of fire on the selector lever functions correctly, hand cycling the weapon as needed.

Vetting a weapon with live fire is subject to a vastly different set of standards that vary from person to person.
    My opinion is that if I can run ~500 rounds of intended duty ammo though the weapon without any stoppages or malfunctions, it's trustworthy with that ammo and those magazines. Given the expense of duty grade 12gauge I'd likely consider it vetted at a lower round count.

Other folks much more knowledgeable than me have insisted on much higher round counts, and that should be encouraged if possible.

Holding the weapon loosely or upside-down etc to try to induce a malfunction can certainly be included in that 500+ round course of vetting the weapon, if desired.

User Tag List