Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Megyn Kelly Ousted from NBC Over Blackface Comments

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Megyn Kelly Ousted from NBC Over Blackface Comments

From The Wall Street Journal:

Megyn Kelly and NBC News have begun exit negotiations, signaling that the star anchor’s brief tenure at the network is likely coming to an end, people familiar with the matter said.

Ms. Kelly, host of the hourlong show “Megyn Kelly Today,” which airs weekdays in the 9 a.m. hour, came under fire for remarks this week that were viewed inside and outside the network as racially insensitive.

On the Tuesday edition of Ms. Kelly’s morning show, a discussion about Halloween turned controversial when she suggested putting on a “blackface” as part of a costume isn’t necessarily racist.

“Back when I was a kid that was OK, as long as you were dressing up as, like, a character,” the 47-year-old Ms. Kelly said on the show.

There was an immediate backlash from within NBC News as several prominent black on-air figures, including “Today” personality Al Roker, expressed concern about the remarks. Ms. Kelly issued an apology Tuesday afternoon and again during the opening of Wednesday’s show.

Despite the apologies, NBC said it was keeping Ms. Kelly off the air for the rest of the week. While the network has made no official announcement on the fate of her morning show, people within the network indicated she won’t return.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    I'm not her biggest fan, and I hate racism as much as anyone, but this is insane. The left is totalitarian and makes the society a worse place.

I don't know what her ratings are but I would assume they are less than stellar and that is the reason they are letting her go.

Her comment doesn't sound racist at all. Kind of ridiculous.

On edit, Al seems to be keeping his job in spite of making similar comments:
    Though he said nothing particularly damning in this instance, Roker has been reprimanded in the past for his off-the-cuff remarks.

In 2014, the New York Post reported Roker was told to back off with some of his jabs during live broadcasts. Incidents included Roker telling a mother her crying baby looked like a "Japanese anime"
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 10-25-2018 at 09:23 PM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I'd love to get paid $69M to be told to stop coming to work.

Shoulda saw that coming getting a career in journalism, this isn't the 90s when reporters were educated individuals actually vaguely doing their intended jobs.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Any mention of the word blackface is death unless the speaker is criticizing its use. For her not to be aware of this trap indicates that she is not up to speed on what is and is not permissible. That's on her. Her employer scored points by their action. She will sue and get a settlement and work for Fox News, where she can't use the term either. Rules change as the culture changes. On one corrections job I noticed that the term for the tank where gay inmates were placed was punk tank, and I observed that both gay and lesbian jailers used the term. I was surprised. That changed too and using the old term today would cause termination. By the way, the men in the punk tank did not allow bullshit or bullying and never caused problems. Not so the other tanks where some guys acted as if they were animals.
    Last edited by willie; 10-25-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    I'd love to get paid $69M to be told to stop coming to work.
    Ok. Stay home. I'll send you a check.

Once I heard two redneck jailers talking, and one told the other that he would have sex with a man for a $million. The gay trusty there for forgery asked the jailer if he'd take a check.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    On one corrections job I noticed that the term for the tank where gay inmates were placed was punk tank, and I observed that both gay and lesbian jailers used the term. I was surprised. That changed too and using the old term today would cause termination. By the way, the men in the punk tank did not allow bullshit or bullying and never caused problems. Not so the other tanks where some guys acted as if they were animals.
    Had to work our jail for a year after I promoted. This comment gave me a good chuckle.

Site Supporter
    I think the network was already looking for an excuse to adios Ms. Kelly. She teed this one up and they swung.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

If altering one’s skin color is prima facie evidence of racism, then Michael Jackson could be an Imperial Wizard in the KKK.

This topic is a great representation of all that’s wrong with America.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List