Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Fail Bill Drill

I loaded up 24 rounds in the m&p 2.0c and gave this a shot today. I knew it would be on the edge of my ability but doable. My first run felt good and was clean but was super slow. The draw was fine but splits were about a tenth too long each putting me over. Then i had a 2.99 but my grip and trigger control weren't there and i failed along with a 3.16 ot run with one out of the black. On the final round i got a clean run by the skin of my teeth. Everything felt good and i called it clean and under time before checking the timer or target, and was right.

Definitely find this to be a challenging drill but fun. It took everything i have to get it right and that's something i can work on going forward, consistency.

Name:  20181029_145728.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  20181029_145850.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  20181029_145947.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  20181029_150053.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  25.9 KB
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Nice job backtrail540!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I loaded up 24 rounds in the m&p 2.0c and gave this a shot today. I knew it would be on the edge of my ability but doable. My first run felt good and was clean but was super slow. The draw was fine but splits were about a tenth too long each putting me over. Then i had a 2.99 but my grip and trigger control weren't there and i failed along with a 3.16 ot run with one out of the black. On the final round i got a clean run by the skin of my teeth. Everything felt good and i called it clean and under time before checking the timer or target, and was right.

Definitely find this to be a challenging drill but fun. It took everything i have to get it right and that's something i can work on going forward, consistency.

]
    Nice! It would be interesting if you kept at it, if the new time becomes your new normal.
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

Quote Originally Posted by AsianJedi View Post
    Nice! It would be interesting if you kept at it, if the new time becomes your new normal.
    I'm certainly going to put some effort into it. My live fire season is coming to a close but I'm putting in the log to continue this drill next year. I'll definitely run it a few times in the next month while I'm still live firing. It's definitely a fun challenge.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Ran this yesterday with my G17 Gen 5. The video is my first run trying it and decided to throw my ugly range hoody over my competition gear. I ended up shooting 7 rounds but squeezed the 6th round under the time. My splits were good but my draw was glacial.

Afterwards I tried it without the jacket trying to get under 2.5 but failed miserably due to trigger freeze, which I have been struggling with a little bit. I got close, but didn’t quite get there. I quite like this drill as a diagnostic tool for other skills I am working on, you really have to crank down your grip and watch the front sight! Good stuff Jedi, thanks for posting.

"Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    I gave this a try today. I shot it with an M&P 2.0C, from strong side IWB under a t-shirt. The first run I shot at an easy pace to guarantee hits. The time was 3.63. The second run was clean in 2.94. On the third attempt I pushed the speed and shot it in 2.43, but I essentially finished the drill in my head before shot #6 broke and flung it high.

Name:  1030181353a.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  1030181358.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  43.9 KB

I am amused by how disparate people come up with the same idea. We're either all right or all wrong.

From 01-07-2015:
    "Since we're talking Bill Drills with Bill himself, I'll share my variation. I draw and fire six rounds using a bullseye for a target at 7 yds. My goal is to keep my time no more than 3 seconds and see how many points I can get (nothing outside of the 8 ring counts and the 8 is conveniently an 8" circle). My best performance the last time I shot was 56 points (93%) in 2.77 seconds (Blade-Tech belt holster, no concealment). If find that the bullseye target really forces me to work the sight tracking and use a bit more trigger control.

I call it Bill on a Bull."

Link: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....age4&styleid=6
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Did bad with the camera but well with the shooting. 2.13 on this one.

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Did bad with the camera but well with the shooting. 2.13 on this one.
    ]
    Wow, that is amazing shooting! Well done!
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I ran this test 3 times yesterday. G17 Gen 5 and Blade-Tech competition gear.

1) 2.47 - 1 in the 8 ring = fail.
    2) 2.27 - 1 in the 8 ring = fail.
    3) 2.38 - clean.

I quite like this as a drill as well and think there is a lot to be learned about over-aiming here. It also highlights an underdeveloped index, poor grip technique, and poor trigger control. Overall I think I like it more than the Bill Drill as a bellweather of overall skill.

My 2.38 run had a 1.18 draw and I think I can get that closer to 1 second. I also think I can decrease the splits a bit.
    --

User Tag List