Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Defensive Ammo QC?

Site Supporter

Remington Defensive Ammo QC?

I'm spinning this off from the HST/GD 50R LEO Only thread.

I've pretty much decided to switch from HST to Remington Golden Saber in 9x19 due to Vista's new policies. The "pretty much" is based on what I've read about the reputations of the various companies' QC programs, which shows Remington's QC to be relatively poor.

Doc's list for 9x19 includes Golden Saber in 147-grain standard velocity and 124-grain bonded in +P. From that, I infer that the QC on their more expensive ammo may be better...but that's an inference, not a data-based conclusion. My experience with their defensive revolver ammo in .38 Sp LSWC-HP and .357 Mag SJHP has been positive.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

@DocGKR?

I was buying Remington GS when ammo was scarce, and I recently found that I still have quite a bit of it. It's not a huge sample, but I haven't had any problems with it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I can only speak to my experience:

I have several boxes of +P Black Belt in 9mm, and the build quality is superb. Both the case mouths and primer pockets are sealed.

It doesn't hurt that my Gen5 G-17 loves it, to the tune of putting multiple rounds in the same hole (or damn close) at both 10 and 21 meters.

I haven't had the chance to expansion test it in media, though I have no reason to doubt its ability to reliably expand.

The only round I have ever had a firearm failure to function from, that should have functioned (I mean, not testing action springs or some craziness that is "my fault") was made by Vista, and it was a shotgun round. People talk a lot about QA/QC, but if you inspect the ammo and make sure no projectiles are backwards, I bet it's more or less whatever, until you get into massive sample sizes.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 10-25-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Site Supporter
    Again, not a large sample size, but I have approximately 500 rounds of the bonded 147s downrange with no failures or other issues.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

I use Golden Saber 230 grain in my Springfield 1911 government and M&P 2.0. It’s been 100 percent! It doesn’t give you that pretty flowered look of a GD or HST, but performed quite well in the lucky gunner ammo testing.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm spinning this off from the HST/GD 50R LEO Only thread.

I've pretty much decided to switch from HST to Remington Golden Saber in 9x19 due to Vista's new policies. The "pretty much" is based on what I've read about the reputations of the various companies' QC programs, which shows Remington's QC to be relatively poor.

Doc's list for 9x19 includes Golden Saber in 147-grain standard velocity and 124-grain bonded in +P. From that, I infer that the QC on their more expensive ammo may be better...but that's an inference, not a data-based conclusion. My experience with their defensive revolver ammo in .38 Sp LSWC-HP and .357 Mag SJHP has been positive.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

@DocGKR?
    I've put a few hundred rounds of the 147 GS load downrange through assorted Gen3-5 Glocks without problems. Feed/accuracy/function have been fine, but there have been two minor irritants: the black plastic thingy inside the box lets the rounds fall through when you open it and the little ring of sealant around the primer sometimes calls off. I'm still using it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have shot a pretty good number of 147 gr Golden Saber without any issues and carried them for years. I’d happily carry them again. Also, LSP issued the 124+P Bonded GS for many years. It worked great and I gladly carried it when it was free. If you aren’t around a lot of cars, the 147 GS is a great choice. I’ve always found the GS loads to be very accurate in my SIGs and Glocks, the HST less so.

Regarding accuracy with GS, I wonder if it’s because it’s not bonded? I know with rifle ammo bonded bullets are often less accurate because they are harder and don’t bite into the rifling so well as non-bonded ammo. Could this be the same for handgun ammo?

Site Supporter
    FWIW, and it's purely anecdotal, but I've put quite a bit of Golden Saber and its latest incarnation (Ultimate Defense, still loaded with the GS bullet) to the tune of a few thousand rounds in .45ACP (230gr and 185gr +P) and 9mm (124 +P). Recent lots have functioned on par with the benchmark set by Vista/Federal/Speer. I have not shot them for accuracy.

Only downside is that, compared to other rounds, the flash is greater and the ammunition does seem to be dirtier. I'm seriously looking at the GS offerings when its time to order more carry ammo.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List