Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington Defensive Ammo QC?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    FWIW, and it's purely anecdotal, but I've put quite a bit of Golden Saber and its latest incarnation (Ultimate Defense, still loaded with the GS bullet) to the tune of a few thousand rounds in .45ACP (230gr and 185gr +P) and 9mm (124 +P). Recent lots have functioned on par with the benchmark set by Vista/Federal/Speer. I have not shot them for accuracy.

Only downside is that, compared to other rounds, the flash is greater and the ammunition does seem to be dirtier. I'm seriously looking at the GS offerings when its time to order more carry ammo.
    Here are some night shooting flash observations with 9mm 147 Golden Saber.

https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-18123.html

Yup, inconsistent, high flash, as well as dirty....a few years ago, a mid-size west coast LE agency had to convert their entire supply of Remington duty handgun ammo over to training use only because of such issues....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Here are some night shooting flash observations with 9mm 147 Golden Saber.

https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-18123.html
    Thanks for the link, good info in there. I'm going to get a some of the 147 GS and 124 +P bonded GS to check for POI from my guns. There are no restrictions as to when you can shoot at my club, so I can check for flash too.

At the risk of drifting my own thread, when I carried revolvers I really liked my 4" M57 with Silvertips. That is until I shot it at dusk - the flash isn't as bad as WWB .357 110 JHPs, but it's not far off. Apparently, Winchester markets it as hunting ammo rather than defensive ammo now.

Current Winchester NATO-spec 9x19 ball is surprisingly low-flash. I used it at a night class not long ago and it puts out a dark orange fireball, not at all distracting.

I can tell you these things:

I've never seen a bad run of GS ammo from an accuracy standpoint.

In my hillbilly water testing, I had a round of 124 +P expand to roughly .70 through denim, without losing the jacket.

I find the new Black Belt ammo to be extremely accurate as well.

I'm very glad I researched alternate ammo before it was necessary.

I chronographed velocity extremes of 120 fps with 147gr Golden Saber out of my G19. I've avoided Remington pistol ammo for carry ever since. I just don't trust the consistency.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    I chronographed velocity extremes of 120 fps with 147gr Golden Saber out of my G19. I've avoided Remington pistol ammo for carry ever since. I just don't trust the consistency.
    This hasn't been my experience with their revolver ammo, it's been pretty consistent. I'm looking forward to trying it. If I ever get it...I ordered it about 0500 on Monday, and according to their website, it hasn't shipped yet. Then again, I ordered some ammo from Ammuntion Depot and the website showed that it hadn't shipped, then it was on my doorstep. Maybe TS uses the same crummy software.

I bought a couple of boxes to try out when I reuped on .38 jhp.

I shot on 50 round box though a gen 4 Glock 17 and a gen 3 “Glock” 17 (slide is brownells with oem parts kit and lower/frame)

Had one FTF, shooting one handed during dot torture. Don’t know if it was the arrow or Indian, but no other problems to report. Accuracy in my amateur hands was decent, but I hadn’t shot or dry fired in 2 weeks so it’s likely o didn’t do my part.

All in all, I’d like to shoot 3 or 4 more boxes before I feel comfortable switching from 147 HST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

User Tag List