Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picking a Metal-Framed Handgun - LTT Elite vs Shadow 2

If you’re looking for something more practical that can do both serious work and competition, the Elite LTT is probably better suited for you. Especially if you’re not going to be too super serious about competition.

If you’re seriously looking at competition, then I’d probably do the Shadow 2.

Durability concerns are overblown I think. The Shadow 2 is competition only, don’t carry it. There’s just enough aftermarket support to make the Elite LTT to do whatever you want it to do at this point.

Get whatever fits better for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammertime
    Weight is a big difference between the two. I think the Fe framed CZ is at least 10 oz heavier than the Al framed LTT.

For dual purposes, get the LTT Elite. I have one. Get a handful of the 20 round MecGar mags and rock on.

Also, I have a pre-Shadow CZ75 and my wife has a CZ75 Shadow Custom. We treat them like Glocks and they run fine. We might add a drop of oil more often than the Glocks, but they are reliable. We haven't needed to replace any parts other than recoil springs and I have had mine for 10 years.

I shot a "pre-B" CZ75 in IDPA SSP for a couple of years. I eased the hammer down for every start in match and practice with never a wayward shot. Lots of IPSCers do it, too. The DA/SA is advantageous under IPSC rules, the guns can be highly tuned, and there is a good deal of interest in USPSA.

On the other hand, some guy named Ernest once demonstrated that the Beretta could be competitive, too.

I don't have a Beretta, my mechanical decocker is a Sig. I can hit better with the CZ.

I don't want to carry either one, both companies make lighter guns to wear all day.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Beretta because of the decocker. I couldn't get used to having the safety on the shadow 2 after using my decockers for so long

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

For competition, the Shadow 2 is a much better choice.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I've got a pair of Shadow 2's and for dual use would go 92, otherwise Shadow 2.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Decide your purpose and your USPSA division.

Do-all gun? Beretta.

Defensive gun? Beretta

USPSA Production Competition gun - Shadow 2, no doubt about it. Have no concerns and learn to drop the hammer like everyone else in the sport. Decockers aren't used because they are assumed (rightly or wrongly) to degrade the trigger quality.

USPSA Limited, Minor Power Factor - whatever floats your boat - You will be competing with 40S&W 2011 SAO guns shooting Major Power Factor and 140mm magazines and race holsters - neither the Shadow 2 or the Beretta is a very good choice if you want to be hardware equitable. If you are having fun and want to run carry gear shooting Lim Minor, the Beretta is fine and more versatile. If you have super awesome skills it won't matter than much anyhow.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 10-25-2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I have both. The CZ is definitely a hell of a game gun/ laser gun with how soft and flat it shoots with that steel frame. Add in some more tuning and ammo matching, and I can see why guns similar to that are what the pros run at the top end of the competition world. The Elite LTT is what I find myself reaching for way more often for league night, for an informal match, or for a range day because it shoots like the guns I'm used to, just at a far higher fidelity. It also happens to fit in my hand a bit more comfortably, and is a gun I wouldn't hesitate to trust my life to (the CZ, while awesome, does not meet that feeling for me personally).

In both cases, running them in a scored setting and against the clock, I feel like I'm clearly the weak link in the system holding me back from a higher score. The guns are both already there to perform.

I don't think either of these guns are going to instantly improve my shooting or make me more competitive on their own, but I do want to make sure I'm making an informed decision either way.
    Maybe skip the guns and buy some ammo/range time to shoot USPSA more regularly?

Your HK's will probably be just fine. Honestly.

But, since you asked:

Ultimately, I'm looking for some guidance as to the major pros/cons with each handgun.
    Both are sweet shooters with lots of parts, crap, etc to pimp 'em out how you want.

As many mentioned before: The S2 is pure competition gun with no decocker and a very heavy all steel frame.
    The cat's meow is to get someone like Matt Mink at Automatic Accuracy to put a short resetting trigger in there. Pure competition goodness.
    Don't worry about the parts reliability issue, bro: If you're not dry firing it for an hour a day and running 1000 rounds a week through it, you'll be fine. When you hit that mark and start slaying it at the local matches, you'll be so deep into the sport that the hour of monthly maintenance will be nothing compared to the time you spend reloading all your ammo. Your wife will probably have strong words for you either way about how the lawn isn't getting mowed, you're not saving enough, and "why are you gone all the time!?!". I.E. You'll have other karmic problems to deal with.

The LTT92 is nice, multi-purpose gun built for people who really like Berettas. (I don't hesitate to carry a 92 for games and as CCW)

You really can't go wrong with either.

Personally? I love my Beretta pistols: They've realiable, safe, shoot well, the skills transfer from games-to-steet since I pretty much shoot the same gun in competition that I carry. I shot the CZ Shadow (the older one) and had my best season in USPSA with it - I'd be lying if I didn't say that I had some issues, but I was probably running the ragged edge of what is acceptable useage for a pistol with high round counts, hectic maintenance, etc. I didn't like the fact that the carry gun that CZ offered was too radically different than the gun I used in competition (CZ BD compact vs Shadow) and that was one of the key reasons I shifted back to a Beretta. That just my story. YMMV.

Proof that both work:

http://instagram.com/p/BZtQDfZnzdn/

User Tag List