Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: "Serious Use" Shotguns and Chokes

Quote Originally Posted by 2238945 View Post
    My 870 has had a Modified RemChoke installed since day 1 (2012 (?)), and I haven't had a problem with any patterning issues through it, with standard and reduced recoil Federal Flite Control 8 and 9 pellet buckshot, Fed Hydrashock standard and reduced recoil slugs, and a number of other various loads such as S&B 9 pellet 00 and slugs. I just try to loosen and re-tighten the choke every time after I shoot it, and I haven't a problem.

If my memory serves me correctly, last I remember, my mod-choked 870 shoots comparably, and sometimes slightly better than my friends and co-workers cylinder bore 870s with the Flite control loads, up to 50 yards.
    Interesting. I have a 20" vr barrel for my 500s that I use to hunt with sometimes that lives with a mod choke in it. I should see how it compares

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Interesting. I have a 20" vr barrel for my 500s that I use to hunt with sometimes that lives with a mod choke in it. I should see how it compares
    That exact barrel lives on my Walking Around Shotgun and I've had great results with a modified choke.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Oils and Lotions SME
    My Wilson 870 with screw in choke shoots slugs and #1 FC best with C choke, 8 pellet 00 FC best with IC choke, and 9 pellet 00 FC best with Mod choke.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    This isn't my first rodeo with this question, and I should probably add it to my list of "shit I don't argue about on the internet."
    Good plan, but it's hard to stay the course. I would put high volume hunting trips under "serious use" because you can easily shoot more heavy loads that you would in a shotgun course. If choke tubes survive that, they'll survive low recoil buckshot.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Data point of one: my 870 is old, like 1960 vintage and it fame with a 28" modified choked barrel ($180 on a used gun rack locally, prolly due to 2 3/4" chamber)

The modified barrel does not pattern as tight or evenly the FFC #1 buck load as the 18.5" cylinder bore barrel I bought for it. Not a major difference but a bit more ragged and wider at 15 and 25 yards.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Why?

Since I asked you, here is my "why"

-I use Flite Control buckshot. It does terrible out of ANY choke. There is no buckshot that holds a tighter pattern no-matter what fancy choke you use, than Flite Control through a CYL bore. If I want more spread, say, for in my house only, I'll use non FC buckshot.
    -I also use slugs. Slugs shoot just fine out of a CYL bore.
    -Chokes can and do come loose, and can and do become secondary projectiles.
    -Even when chokes don't come loose, they will accrue fouling faster and degrade slug accuracy and buckshot patterns faster than a straight-wall bore. Especially because they are near the muzzle where velocity is highest.
    -Choke tubes can become frozen in the gun if you're lazy or ignorant.
    -Changing chokes can and will change your POI, so to argue the versatility line, you need to accept re-zeroing every time you change a choke, for optimal performance, and isn't a choke about optimal performance for a certain load?
    -Gamers who only shoot 3G birdshot have a legit need for a choke, usually LM.
    If you are use removable choke tubes, you really should be installing them with anti-seize or choke tube grease, and use the proper choke wrench. This will prevent the fear of choke tubes coming loose and becoming secondary projectiles as you mention in bullet three.

My experience does not correlate with yours regarding fouling and accuracy degradation as you mention in bullet four. Although I might seem counterintuitive, in my experience at the patterning board, I have not found that longer chokes or choke tubes pattern better than short ones. This goes from Tula chokes to screw-in chokes to choked barrels. The patterning board tends to reveal the differences. I have found straight rifling, as Briley uses in their tubesets, does improve patterns, because it reduces wad rotation in the barrel. More of a birdshot issue than a buckshot issue. Buckshot patterns are more dependent on wad and buffer than birdshot.

You should pattern the gun with your choke tubes. If you experience changing POI as you mention in bullet six, you have concentricity issues that should be addressed. This discussion assumes properly machined barrels and chokes.
    Last edited by Trigger; 11-05-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

I realize this is an older thread, but it hits on my subject.
    My Benelli M4 came with a modified choke only. Having read posts online including a response somewhere from Benelli, slugs are not be used in conjunction with a modified choke. I thought that was weird as the Benelli M4 only comes with the modified choke.

I bought a Briley IC choke as I want the flexibility of running either Federal LE133 8 pellet 00 buck (2.75" pre Flite Control) OR Federal LE127 RS (2.75" 1 oz slug). I believe both are reduced recoil rounds.

I spent some time yesterday sighting in the red dot on the M4 using the Briley IC choke and the Federal LE133 00 buck load and the pattern was quite large at 25 yards, probably around 24 inches. I found that to be larger than what I'd hoped for at that distance. My Benelli M1 Super 90 with the factory IC choke would pattern at roughly 10 inches that same distance.
    I put one slug thru it at 25 yards to see where it would hit and it hit inside the black of 6 inch center (about 2 inches low and about 2 inches right).

I'd like to see a tighter pattern with the Federal 00 buck out of the M4, but I'm hesitant to use the original modified choke in case I need to run the Federal LE127 rifled slugs thru it.

What do you guys think? OK to run the modified choke with those slugs?
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 10-16-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    My Benelli M4 came with a modified choke only. Having read posts online including a response somewhere from Benelli, slugs are not be used in conjunction with a modified choke. I thought that was weird as the Benelli M4 only comes with the modified choke.

I bought a Briley IC choke as I want the flexibility of running either Federal LE133 8 pellet 00 buck (2.75" pre Flite Control) OR Federal LE127 RS (2.75" 1 oz slug). I believe both are reduced recoil rounds.

I spent some time yesterday sighting in the red dot on the M4 using the Briley IC choke and the Federal LE133 00 buck load and the pattern was quite large at 25 yards, probably around 24 inches. I found that to be larger than what I'd hoped for at that distance. My Benelli M1 Super 90 with the factory IC choke would pattern at roughly 10 inches that same distance.
    I put one slug thru it at 25 yards to see where it would hit and it hit inside the black of 6 inch center (about 2 inches low and about 2 inches right).

I'd like to see a tighter pattern with the Federal 00 buck out of the M4, but I'm hesitant to use the original modified choke in case I need to run the Federal LE127 rifled slugs thru it.

Most folks say it's okay to run slugs through a modified choke. I've done so.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post

Benelli Mod and le127rs are fine.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I both agree and disagree with it.
    So do I.

My "fool's errand/utility shotgun" quest convinced me that a screw-in choke was the only way to be able to run a kaleidoscope of loads successfully (though it became bewildering), but a fixed choke was administratively and procedurally more sensible for SD/HD. Since I was already done with hunting by that time, a fixed IC barrel was not the handicap it might have been if I was planning to pot turkeys. Nothing since then has changed my mind.

That being said, I now sort of regret gifting away an 870P barrel which had been reworked for RemChoke tubes. It wasn't taking up much space and it had proven fairly versatile, although with some tube/load combinations the rifle-type sights were distractingly not "set and forget"... I ended up converting the rear sight to an express-type shallow "V" before playing the philanthropist, but the front bead was still a bit too fine.

Having both a fixed choke defensive barrel and a choke-tubed "hunting/utility" barrel is a decent solution, with the fixed barrel being the "under the bed and ready to go" BITN/SHTF/TEOTWAWKI/OMG configuration.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List