Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: "Serious Use" Shotguns and Chokes

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    This is my shocked face
    Yeah, i need to, but so far I treat the shotgun like a big carbine. Same manual of arms nearly and its worked just fine, with the exception of "if youre not shooting, be loading". Mag capacity seems to be about the only difference. Malfunction clearance drill is VERY slightly different (you don't check to see if the mag is seated), but otherwise it's just "Rack, Bang."

In fact, the other day I had a shell that was charged light, as best I can tell. Had no expectation of this failure coming. Treated it just like a carbine that couldn't have mag issues.

Last edited by Unobtanium; 10-26-2018 at 05:37 PM.

I was teaching at the police academy this week. I always bring my shotgun (an 870 Super Express) that’s been modified and vang comped for cadets to use if they are struggling with the old POS shotguns the academy has. It’s got screw in chokes. I checked the choke when I got home tonight and it was nice and snug. It’s had hundreds of heavy bird shot/00 buck and slugs through it this week without a hiccup and without the choke coming loose.

This is the second academy class I’ve done that with. Never been an issue with the chokes.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Why are you dressed like a garbage man?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Why are you dressed like a garbage man?
    Layers. Mobility. Simple and works. In cold weather i put Wiggy's netting gear under it. In warm weather its light enough with a t shirt and boxers, unlike a nomex. Just my preference and what works. Think about what a garbage man does. Inclement weather. Physical exertion. Heat and or cold.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 10-26-2018 at 07:50 PM.

This isn't my first rodeo with this question, and I should probably add it to my list of "shit I don't argue about on the internet."

I've had a choke in my "serious use" shotgun for six years now, with zero issues. Like I said before, I wouldn't want them in agency issued weapons, but my personal shotgun has neither launched its choke down range nor has it "accumulated fouling" nor caused any other issues. After shooting I run some patches through the barrel and check the tightness of the choke. It's never loosened ever firing, nor has it gotten loose sitting in my locked gun cabinet or while I was walking around the property with the shotgun.

I think reasonable minds can differ about the value added by interchangeable chokes in a defensive shotgun, but they aren't the equivalent of carrying a Judge loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs either.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 10-26-2018 at 10:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Grabagun has a factory camo gun for $771.
    I checked and they confirmed it is 2018 production "with the updates".
    Link?

I seriously doubt it. The ONLY factory camo gun we did was with Viper camo and it was a Gen 1 w/o chokes.
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

Quote Originally Posted by e_stern View Post
    Link?

I seriously doubt it. The ONLY factory camo gun we did was with Viper camo and it was a Gen 1 w/o chokes.
    I'm not him, but here is a link: https://grabagun.com/beretta-1301-vi...bl-sy-4-1.html

Looks like the Viper. Shouldnt be Gen 2, but its likely some CS person just got it wrong and said it has the updates. Out of stock at the moment.

-Cory

I spent a few hours with Ernie Tobin at the GPSTC, and he'd had all the facilities' shotguns threaded for modified chokes, was a big believer in the choked shotgun for law enforcement.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I spent a few hours with Ernie Tobin at the GPSTC, and he'd had all the facilities' shotguns threaded for modified chokes, was a big believer in the choked shotgun for law enforcement.
    Modified is working well for me in my Wilson modified 870.
    3/15/2016

My 870 has had a Modified RemChoke installed since day 1 (2012 (?)), and I haven't had a problem with any patterning issues through it, with standard and reduced recoil Federal Flite Control 8 and 9 pellet buckshot, Fed Hydrashock standard and reduced recoil slugs, and a number of other various loads such as S&B 9 pellet 00 and slugs. I just try to loosen and re-tighten the choke every time after I shoot it, and I haven't a problem.

If my memory serves me correctly, last I remember, my mod-choked 870 shoots comparably, and sometimes slightly better than my friends and co-workers cylinder bore 870s with the Flite control loads, up to 50 yards.
    Last edited by 2238945; 11-04-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Typo

User Tag List