Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "THAT'S What You're Talking About!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I’m niot sure that’s entirely true - I started with a self-taught elbows locked technique (noob shooting a .40 at the square range) and my shooting improved when I went to a more workable “elbows out” mode.
    I started with Weaver in the 60's/70's as a kiddo, moved to ISO 80's, modern-ISO in the 90's. Watching Sevigny's elbows in vids and at Conyers GSSF and tried to adopt and hated it.

Then a couple years ago a shooter (@BES) gave me some F2F coaching tips on it and it took. It's a big help for me. I don't have a super strong grip and it helps with support hand leverage and pressure IMO.

I used to get so much Glock slide bite I'd use pic of my bloody web of my hand as an avatar. But since this change in elbows with resulting leverage, the Glock slide bite is gone.

I kinda miss it sometimes.

OTOH to @runcible 's point about wrist discomfort - on some days, I can get a stabbing sharp pain in the left wrist. Haven't noticed a pattern of why/when as weeks or months might separate bouts. Seems like it usually just stabs suddenly once at the end of a string as I release pressure. Don't know what's up with that.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

My one guy who demurred on it had a lifting-related injury, I believe to his non-shooting hand. I want to say that he'd also had surgery on it a few years ago, and demurred as much from an abundance of caution as from the sensations. I don't hold it against him at all; he did well and gave it a more than fair shake, and he was pretty open about how he liked the results but we both agreed he had to be mindful of sustainability if the wrist was still sensitive.

Re: discomfort contemporaneous to the last-round fired; if that last round is deviated higher or lower than the rest of the grouping, then that's generally indicative that you've subconsciously unlocked your load-up on the gun prior to actually firing. It's not uncommon, and is at times a pretty common cause of final-round flyers with some of my folks. What I believe to be the underlying causation is subconsciously preparing to retract to one's ready position or perform a scripted reload, with the timing of the transition overtaking into the actual footprint of the firing process (e.g. sights\trigger\manage-recoil). Some sort of prescription of follow-through (e.g. additional sight-picture + trigger-reset if resetting to a ready position or performing a slide-forward reload, tactile cueing\recognition if performing a slide-locked reload) usually fixes the problem. Where it ties in with wrist discomfort, is if the unlocking isn't symmetric, one of those hands may be unexpectedly bearing more of the recoil impulse than expected, or in a new and unexpected manner that it is less setup to receive. That way, the grip that is loaded up on that gun is enduring and at full intensity for the entire duration of that last recoil cycle, rather than breaking apart prematurely with good intentions only to receive a penalty.

(If the above is applicable to what you've got, I think it's a reflection of how we generally train on the square range. It doesn't come up too often in FOF - unless you've got someone who always shoots a certain # of rounds to a target and then stops themselves, rather then shooting until the target's actions dictate otherwise, in which case you may see similar oddball shots as they hit the end of their internal scripting.)
    Jules
    Runcible Works

User Tag List