Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Norinco 1911 Coming Home!

My IPDA buds swear by Tripp.
    Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. View Post
    My IPDA buds swear by Tripp.
    I've used Tripp mags. They sit up just a little higher in the gun that other mags. Most of the time this is a good thing and improves feeding reliability. But depending on the gun this higher position might put the magazine feed lip in contact with the ejector. Also the higher round stack in the mag can sometimes push the fired case up too high during the ejection process and cause stovepipe malfunctions.

With that said, they work well in guns that aren't on the tight edge of tolerance with mag height. And his 9mm mags are great!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I put about 70 rounds through the gun yesterday. Mostly a 200gr LSWC hand load but also a mag of old Winchester 185gr target wadcutters, a mag of Federal 185gr JHP and a mag of Hornady XTP.

Curiously, the old school super stubby Winchester ammo fed fine as did the 200gr H&G but I had failures to feed with both JHP rounds. Both failed to feed on the 6th round in the mag with the round stalling out at the junction between feed ramp and barrel. Mags used were two CMC Power Mags with the Tripp 7rd upgrade. Slide locked open when empty, etc.

Anyway, I used the pistol to shoot Arizona's LEOSA qual and shot a 245 out of a possible 250. The -5 round was in target but I went over on par time because I snagged the pistol in my shirt on the presentation. All draws were from concealment and my undershirt had come untucked slightly towards the end of the course. Oops.

Overall, I like the pistol quite a bit. Now just need to figure out what's up with JHP ammo. Or at least these two types. Was it a fluke or something else?

Last edited by Tokarev; 11-13-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    Was it the 185 gr XTP's?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Was it the 185 gr XTP's?

No. 230.

Site Supporter
    Ah, there goes that theory....I'd probably play around with different ammo or really mostly mag types...most guns seem to like WC mag's and Brownells almost always has them on sale.

Try golden sabers. Their profile is very "ball like".

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    ...I'd probably play around with different ammo or really mostly mag types...
    Yeah. That's the plan. Surprisingly the gun feeds stubby 185gr old school wadcutters but not some types of JHP? Interesting...

One thing I might try, if I have additional feeding issues, is the mag release from EGW. The catch itself sits a little higher on the EGW. This, in turn, lifts the mag up fractionally in the frame and can really improve feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Yeah. That's the plan. Surprisingly the gun feeds stubby 185gr old school wadcutters but not some types of JHP? Interesting...

One thing I might try, if I have additional feeding issues, is the mag release from EGW. The catch itself sits a little higher on the EGW. This, in turn, lifts the mag up fractionally in the frame and can really improve feeding.
    I have a 1911 Government model that would occasionally nosedive the first round out of the magazine, 7 or 8 round, didn't matter. I know there could be several variables in play here, so I decided to do what I could do to fix it. I came across this EGW mag release with good reviews. I ordered one and installed it. Right off you could tell there was nowhere the up and down play of the magazine when inserted into the pistol with the slide locked back. And the mag didn't hit the ejector either. So far the pistol has been 100 percent reliable. With the slide forward, I can say with 7 round magazines insertion hasn't changed, but with 8 round mags it seems you have to push just a tad harder to seat it. I don't use this pistol for self-defense, so I haven't vetted it as throughly as one that I do use for SD.

Brownell's has free shipping and 10% off purchases over $99 using code 2AD so I ordered an EGW mag release and three WC ETM mags.

[emoji41]

User Tag List