Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Big Army Soliciting for new 9mm SMG (Sub Compact Weapon - SCW)

If it was designed for the SCW program, why Glock mags instead of M17/M18 mags? You know, the mags carried by the troops? (Well, at least eventually when they transition from the Beretta, that is).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If it was designed for the SCW program, why Glock mags instead of M17/M18 mags? You know, the mags carried by the troops? (Well, at least eventually when they transition from the Beretta, that is).
    Because M17/18 mags are a known frequent failure point in the current system, while Glock mags typically work?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Because M17/18 mags are a known frequent failure point in the current system, while Glock mags typically work?
    Is that a question/hypothetical or something that has been observed in testing and use this far? I didn't keep close tabs on the MHS program...are the mags problematic in some particular way?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

A picture says a thousand words. Here are 3 commonly used PDWs (all 3 lowers are registered SBRs and all NFA laws followed):
    Name:  9D2495E1-F205-4A2C-8EAD-4A30DF213F1B.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  36.7 KB

The top is a Franken MK18 (KAC lower and LMT MRP upper) with a 10” barrel and an overall length of 28” with the stock collapsed.

The middle is the Sig Rattler in 300BLK with a 5.5” barrel and a left folding skeleton stock at an overall length of 16” with the stock folded.

Bottom is an MP5K clone with a right folding Choate stock at an overall length of 14”.

So, the Rattler gives up 2” to the MP5K but launches 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX bullets at 1800-1900 FPS (compared to 147 grain HST at 1000 FPS from the MP5K), can defeat soft armor, and has terminal performance through intermediate barriers that is on par with the MK18 our to at least 100 meters.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Sensei, great pic. That Rattler grip is really funky... can you change it?

@Sensei I’ve never wanted a Sig Rattler before but for some inexplicable reason I want one now.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Sensei, great pic. That Rattler grip is really funky... can you change it?
    Yep, it accepts all AR grips. While it may look weird, it actually feels pretty good in practice. It originally shipped with a Magpul grip, but Sig changed to a more straight grip based on feedback from users shooting with short stocks that put the wrist at an uncomfortable angle when the elbow was flexed.
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-16-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    @Sensei IÂ’ve never wanted a Sig Rattler before but for some inexplicable reason I want one now.
    It’s a niche gun for sure. Basically, it leverages one feature of the 300blk platform - efficient powder burn at short barrel lengths to produce sufficient velocity from a 5.5” barrel to be reasonably effective out to 100-150 meters. It’s not designed to take advantage of other aspects of the 300blk such as being very quiet when suppressed. Don’t get me wrong, people are suppressing them, but supers from a 5.5” barrel are no bueno for many silencer manufacturers.

Another big drawback is ammo. This gun is going to be effective with a limited number of bullets. As mentioned previously, the 110 grain TAC-TXs expand down to 1400ish FPS, but penetration is probably a little more than ideal even at 2200 FPS. Many other 300blk loads have expansion issues right about at 1800 FPS, so selecting the right load is key. Moreover, the gun uses a very tight twist (1:5) to achieve enough rotational inertia for stability. This is reportedly causing some light, thin jacketed bullets to come apart; be careful with suppressors. Finally, people wanting to shoot subs should stick with a PCC.
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-16-2018 at 02:31 PM.

My burning desire for one has cooled a bit but it definitely makes you think about why someone would choose a sub machine gun if given all the options.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Is that a question/hypothetical or something that has been observed in testing and use this far? I didn't keep close tabs on the MHS program...are the mags problematic in some particular way?
    Magazines ejecting multiple rounds at random was identified as a problem in the army report that reviewed the status of new programs for FY17. I forgot the name of the report but it caused quite a stir went it was released because there were a few issues listed.

User Tag List